Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default What's The Drill?

On 5/23/2012 7:19 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/22/2012 2:24 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:54:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should - they
do.
Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Sure, in a perfect world, a warranty or a lifetime warranty if you
prefer, is certainly useful in the case of something breaking before
its time. But, all the tools I've every bought which includes drills,
have come with a substantial warranty to start. That's three years in
the case of my DeWalt drills. They're almost five years old now and
there's no hint of tool failure or battery dying anywhere. If a drill
dies on me at this point, I'll likely upgrade to a Li-Ion drill
because of the advantages to it. Or, in the case of battery, I'll
consider having it rebuilt.

Either way, in my almost 30 years of woodworking experience when I
bought my first cordless drill, never have I had one fail on me
(drill or battery) prematurely. Whenever I've gone to something new,
it's been because of a desire for a newer capability/technology tool.

WOW! I have owned 9 different cordless drills/driver/impacts and have
bought replacements batteries for all, except for one my first DeWalt as
a whole new drill with two batteries was $99 and two new batteries was
more expensive. And I have not yet bought replacements for my Festool
yet or the Bosch impactor that I rarely use.
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

To make them last, you just use them regularly.