Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default What's The Drill?

Exactly why I bought the Hitachi, great little drill for smaller tasks.

And my 18v Ryobi LiOn is lighter than my previous drill.
So I have the best of all worlds.

No arm and leg lost to buy either.
BTW My Ryobi also locks the motor when off so you can easily tighten the
chuck with one hand. You can crank down pretty good.

What I like about the Hitachi is the battery allows you to sit the tool
down standing up. Most of the 10V and 12V LiOn do not have that feature.

On 5/22/2012 11:05 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:27:45 -0700, Mike M
For me I'm content with
the Dewalt 18 volt for what I'm doing now

Maybe I'm guessing wrongly, but since you've had it awhile, I'm
assuming it uses an XRP battery. Your arm ever get tired holding up
that drill Mike? Mine does with it's XRP battery and I can pretty much
guarantee you with thirty years of pushing my manual wheelchair
around, my arms are NOT weak.

An so, the next question is have you looked at one of the new DeWalt
20v Li-Ion drills with battery? If so, the first thing you would have
noticed is how much smaller the battery is and how much lighter the
drill is. If you did notice, did you say to yourself how nice it might
be to have one of those instead? I sure did.

Possibly not for the home owner who might use it once a week, but it
sure would make a big difference for someone using a drill like that a
few times every day. And since I'm into woodworking, even though I
don't do it professionally, I frequently use my DeWalt drill a number
of times every day.