DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's The Drill? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/341301-whats-drill.html)

Tim Daneliuk May 22nd 12 02:54 AM

What's The Drill?

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 03:12 AM

What's The Drill?

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I got a Ridgid set for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it. It's 18v.
The lifetime warranty is a thing of beauty! It even covers the batteries.
Mine are the full size batteries, and they just last forever. If I were to
purchase one it would have either been a Makita or another DeWalt, but like
I said this was a gift and it's been great.

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] May 22nd 12 03:55 AM

What's The Drill?

Mike Marlow wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I got a Ridgid set for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it. It's 18v.
The lifetime warranty is a thing of beauty!

A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the
way that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you are
not disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge about
this one.

Ed Pawlowski May 22nd 12 04:24 AM

What's The Drill?

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:54:50 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

Panasonic, Bosch, Milwaukee. I've seen too many people complain about
the yellow Black & Decker drills. No experience with Makita

Leon[_7_] May 22nd 12 05:07 AM

What's The Drill?

On 5/21/2012 8:54 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

Well, Makita still builds a good drill/tool, Go with the green models.

I have owned DeWalt, Makita, Panasonic, and Festool. Oh yeah I have a
Bosch impactor that I have used about 3 times in the last 3 or so years.

I am partial to the Festool but you are going to spend some money.

Least favorite for me, Bosch and DeWalt.

Leon[_7_] May 22nd 12 05:09 AM

What's The Drill?

On 5/21/2012 9:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
[...]

In the case of the Ridgid life time covers maintenance and wear out. It
is a good warranty.

Puckdropper[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:28 AM

What's The Drill?

Tim Daneliuk wrote in news:d88r89-o4d.ln1
@ozzie.tundraware.com:

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I have the Makita drill/driver kit that came in the LCT300W combo. (I
see the LCT200W combo still, same drill/driver no flashlight.) I'm
extremely happy with the tools, but after about 5 years they are starting
to show their age. The chuck on the drill is a little fiddly now, and
battery runtime seems to have significantly decreased. However, with 3
batteries and approximately 30 minute recharge time it's difficult to run
out of battery.

The tools still do their job quite well, and are a long way from being
worn out. The impact driver still drives screws as well as it did on day
one, and the drill runs true and easily.

There's two sizes of Makita batteries out there, one is 1.5 Ah and the
other is 3 Ah. It might be worth looking at the 3 Ah drills because that
battery will also work with other tools in their line. I have a circular
saw that "requires" a 3 Ah battery (or a little surgery for a 1.5 Ah
battery).

The Panasonics I've used have worked quite well, but I don't have much
experience with them. One purred like a tribble, but I don't think it
reproduced like one!

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 22nd 12 05:29 AM

What's The Drill?

wrote:

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I loved my Bosch Impactor, I love my Makita lithium impactor, and I
loved my old Ryobi 14.4v drill enough to buy an 18v model when the
batteries finally died on the 14.4. Panasonic, Makita, Bosch, and
Milwaukee are the top runners, though lots of guys here like the
Ridgid drills, too.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,

Richard[_9_] May 22nd 12 06:25 AM

What's The Drill?

wrote:

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I loved my Bosch Impactor, I love my Makita lithium impactor, and I
loved my old Ryobi 14.4v drill enough to buy an 18v model when the
batteries finally died on the 14.4. Panasonic, Makita, Bosch, and
Milwaukee are the top runners, though lots of guys here like the
Ridgid drills, too.

--

18 years is way good service, Larry.
Ya done good, troop.

I still have my 9v Ryobi, the battery pack had been rebuilt once and
has finally gone south again. I'll probably rebuild it again as the
drill motor itself is still perfectly good. (someday?)

But mostly I use the 12v Ryobi - which has had it's battery pack
rebuilt twice.

I have two batteries for each of them.
If I had another 12v battery I'd take the cells out and plug it into
a 12v gel cell (12AH) for longer lasting power.

Or plug it into the boat's 12v system and use that for power.

Keith nuttle May 22nd 12 01:53 PM

What's The Drill?

On 5/21/2012 9:54 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

This is a different spin on your question, but you may consider
"replacing" it with a small bench top drill press. (not one that uses a
hand drill).

Many years age we were at a traveling tool sale, and they had a drill
press for $39. I had always thought I need a drill press but could
never justify one. $39 did not need a lot of justification.

The bottom line is I am now using the drill press for most of my
drilling needs. I don't remember when I last used the hand drill. For
those times when I need to drill to put up a curtain rod or such, I use
my Dremmel or one of those old ratchet drills.

tiredofspam May 22nd 12 03:15 PM

What's The Drill?

I have 2 green models...

Hitachi, I bought the 10v combo drill and impactor.
Love them for light duty work. The impactor is awesome. Truly a heavy
duty tool. The drill is very light duty, but great for driving light
screws.

For heavy drilling I have a Ryobi 18v.. I know some of you think that
sucks, but for the cheap price I paide $69 for the 18v and 2 lithium
batteries it's a way better deal than some of the name brands.

I recently saw a bunch of contractors using Ryobi because the battery
prices are totally reasonable. They said the Dewalts were way too
overpriced on batteries. I was surprised figuring that they wanted a
more solid tool. They were happy with the Ryobi.

John Shear May 22nd 12 03:32 PM

What's The Drill?

Since I live in Wisconsin, I'll be bias toward Wisconsin companies when
they make a competitive, quality product. So it's Milwaukee drills for
me. The only problem is they last forever so I never have a reason to
buy a new one.
I got my 9v cordless when it was the best available at the time. Later
when I got into larger, more frequent projects I got a (best at the
time) 14.4v L/ion for drilling and dedicated the 9v to driving screws.
I have 3 battery packs for each drill and every few years I'll take the
one with the oldest batteries to Batteries Plus for a rebuild. I label
battery packs with the date purchased or rebuilt so I can stagger them.
Haven't needed to rebuild any 14.4v packs yet.
Is rebuilding battery packs a simple DIY task or does it require
something special?

What really differentiates one brand from another is the internals, so
unfortunately it's hard to compare brands. One thing that would be
handy is a little built-in LED worklight if any drills have such a thing.

John S.

-MIKE- May 22nd 12 03:39 PM

What's The Drill?

I'm late to the party, but....
I'm extremely pleased with the Bosch 18v L-Ion drill I recently got from
Lowes when they had the drill/charger/2 batts for $99. They have a
drill&impact driver combo for around $249, now. One of they really nice
features is the way the chuck "locks" when it clamps to a bit. With most
hand chucks you have to use two hands to tighten them. With the Bosch,
the motor side of the chuck locks in place and you just need one hand to
tighten the bit side. Very convenient!

My local Home Depot has their Ridgid 18v L-Ion drill&impact driver combo
with 2 batts/charger on sale for $199. That is a great deal for those.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Jim Weisgram[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:26 PM

What's The Drill?

wrote:

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

Opinions will vary as to which size is best, let alone which brand.

I have a 15V Panasonic NiMH and a 12V Milwaukie Lion and I use the 12
V most of the time. The little guy doesn't have a 2nd gear so drilling
is a bit on the slow side. But it is light and nimble and fine for
most of the things I do, and gets into tight places, etc.

There are times I need a more muscle I still need the heavier duty
drill. Or if I am driving plenty of screws that need drilling /
countersinking I set up the Panasonic to drill (it spins faster) and
the little guy to drive the screws.

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:49 PM

What's The Drill?

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I
got my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture
projects, and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I got a Ridgid set for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it. It's
18v. The lifetime warranty is a thing of beauty!

A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the
way that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you
are not disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge
about this one.

I do Bill. I have already used it, and understand it very well. I wasn't
born yesterday and I do understand how these terms get misused. You might
do well to google the Rigid warranty. It is what it says it is.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:52 PM

What's The Drill?

Leon wrote:

In the case of the Ridgid life time covers maintenance and wear out. It is
a good warranty.

Sorry Leon - not sure how to figure out what you are saying, so I'll take
the safe way through this - yes it does cover wear out from normal use. I
think your last sentence says what I am trying to say - it really is a good
warranty.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:55 PM

What's The Drill?

Keith Nuttle wrote:

This is a different spin on your question, but you may consider
"replacing" it with a small bench top drill press. (not one that uses
a hand drill).

Many years age we were at a traveling tool sale, and they had a drill
press for $39. I had always thought I need a drill press but could
never justify one. $39 did not need a lot of justification.

The bottom line is I am now using the drill press for most of my
drilling needs. I don't remember when I last used the hand drill. For
those times when I need to drill to put up a curtain rod or such,
I use my Dremmel or one of those old ratchet drills.

Different spin or not - you hit a keen point Keith - a drill press is indeed
an essential tool. Preach it brother!

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 05:59 PM

What's The Drill?

John Shear wrote:

What really differentiates one brand from another is the internals, so
unfortunately it's hard to compare brands. One thing that would be
handy is a little built-in LED worklight if any drills have such a
thing.

Some - if not perhaps, most do have that now John. I know my 3 year old
Ridgid does have an LED - and as foolish as I might have thought that to be
at one time - it really is a help. Especially as the eyes get... not so
good! I suspect (and cannot verify) that this is becoming a common thing.

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] May 22nd 12 06:08 PM

What's The Drill?

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I
got my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture
projects, and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I got a Ridgid set for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it. It's
18v. The lifetime warranty is a thing of beauty!

A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the
way that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you
are not disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge
about this one.

I do Bill. I have already used it, and understand it very well. I wasn't
born yesterday and I do understand how these terms get misused. You might
do well to google the Rigid warranty. It is what it says it is.

Well lets not have a "hissy fit". I'm glad that *you* know. I included a
disclaimer and you're not the only reader here. If you were in charge,
this group might only have 5 or 6 new posts a day--which I think is why
no one appointed you yet! I'm in a good mood; just playin'.

Tim Daneliuk May 22nd 12 06:43 PM

What's The Drill?

On 05/21/2012 08:54 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

Thanks all for your input ... which made the decision approximately
as hard as when I started :)

I have a new DeWalt DCD760KL kit on the way. I really loved the old
Makita but the new ones of comparable quality were a bit out of reach
$ wise...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Dave[_52_] May 22nd 12 07:19 PM

What's The Drill?

On Tue, 22 May 2012 12:52:45 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
In the case of the Ridgid life time covers maintenance and wear out. It is
a good warranty.

Sorry Leon - not sure how to figure out what you are saying, so I'll take
the safe way through this - yes it does cover wear out from normal use. I
think your last sentence says what I am trying to say - it really is a good
warranty.

Personally, I think it's mostly irrelevant if there's a lifetime
warranty on these ubiquitous tools. By the time they wear out or a
battery dies and/or can't be rebuilt, one would likely want to upgrade
to something newer, at least I would.

Take battery technology. Lithium Ion batteries are currently in the
forefront of popularity. They're lighter and more powerful than the
previous generation of batteries and they charge faster too. Upgrades
in this type of technology are happening every few years.

Agreed, one doesn't have to go for the latest technology, but most
people do. And for people who do woodworking professionally, like Karl
and Leon, the newer tools are a boon. The Domino and the Domino XL are
graphic examples of this.

John Shear May 22nd 12 07:25 PM

What's The Drill? (drill press)

Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't been
in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill press sure
would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop Mortiser because
it was obvious how that would make my projects get done faster with
better quality. So educate me on what makes a drill press a valuable
thing to have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

John S.

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 07:44 PM

What's The Drill? (drill press)

John Shear wrote:
Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't
been in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill
press sure would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop
Mortiser because it was obvious how that would make my projects get
done faster with better quality. So educate me on what makes a drill
press a valuable thing to have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

Maybe it's the difference in how we use (would use) it John. I use mine for
very precise holes. Don't get me wrong - I still use my drill motor for a
lot f holes, but when precision counts, I turn to my drill press. That
said - I also do a lot ofmetal work, and not just wood work.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 07:52 PM

What's The Drill?

Bill wrote:

Well lets not have a "hissy fit". I'm glad that *you* know. I
included a disclaimer and you're not the only reader here. If you
were in charge, this group might only have 5 or 6 new posts a
day--which I think is why no one appointed you yet! I'm in a good
mood; just playin'.

No hissy fit. I just find it funny that a guy who asks more questions than
he does accomplish any work, choses to raise questions. It might seem that
those who express that they have had real experiences, would have at least a
little bit of a credible platform. If you had asked about my warranty
experiences, that would have been one thing, and I would have gladly
explained it further, but for you to counsel is a bit different. Maybe you
should use that google thing that many of us point you to. You would have
seen that the Ridgid warranty is everything it is cracked up to be.

So - your next point on the Ridgid warranty?

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 07:54 PM

What's The Drill?

Dave wrote:

Personally, I think it's mostly irrelevant if there's a lifetime
warranty on these ubiquitous tools. By the time they wear out or a
battery dies and/or can't be rebuilt, one would likely want to upgrade
to something newer, at least I would.

Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should - they do.
Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Take battery technology. Lithium Ion batteries are currently in the
forefront of popularity. They're lighter and more powerful than the
previous generation of batteries and they charge faster too. Upgrades
in this type of technology are happening every few years.

So what - if your battery fails, do you want to buy a new one, or get a free
one under warranty?

Agreed, one doesn't have to go for the latest technology, but most
people do.

Maybe... but not so sure this is really true.

And for people who do woodworking professionally, like Karl
and Leon, the newer tools are a boon. The Domino and the Domino XL are
graphic examples of this.

The very same arguments you expressed above could be applied to those tools

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] May 22nd 12 08:15 PM

What's The Drill?

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

I think you mean Rigid. I'm sorry I mentioned the "lifetime"
warrantee. On some products the "lifetime" is over when they come out
with a new version. Gotta be careful (is all I was saying).

Dave[_52_] May 22nd 12 08:24 PM

What's The Drill?

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:54:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should - they do.
Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Sure, in a perfect world, a warranty or a lifetime warranty if you
prefer, is certainly useful in the case of something breaking before
its time. But, all the tools I've every bought which includes drills,
have come with a substantial warranty to start. That's three years in
the case of my DeWalt drills. They're almost five years old now and
there's no hint of tool failure or battery dying anywhere. If a drill
dies on me at this point, I'll likely upgrade to a Li-Ion drill
because of the advantages to it. Or, in the case of battery, I'll
consider having it rebuilt.

Either way, in my almost 30 years of woodworking experience when I
bought my first cordless drill, never have I had one fail on me
(drill or battery) prematurely. Whenever I've gone to something new,
it's been because of a desire for a newer capability/technology tool.

That's what I'm trying to say. In my case anyway, a lifetime warranty
is wasted on me and I'd suggest on most others too.

So what - if your battery fails, do you want to buy a new one, or get a free
one under warranty?

Answered above. But, just to give you an answer, by the time my first
battery started dying on me (Milwaukee brand, five or six years old),
they no longer made that type of battery because of advances in
battery technology. A lifetime warranty would have been useless.

Agreed, one doesn't have to go for the latest technology, but most
people do.

Maybe... but not so sure this is really true.

I'd suggest it is true. We live in an instant gratification society
and the newer technologies are most definitely at the forefront of
that 'instant gratification'.

And for people who do woodworking professionally, like Karl
and Leon, the newer tools are a boon. The Domino and the Domino XL are
graphic examples of this.

The very same arguments you expressed above could be applied to those tools

Also answered above. But, these aren't cordless tools and they don't
have anything near approaching a lifetime warranty. I shouldn't have
used them as an example to bolster my original argument. However, they
*are* newer technology, so they do fit the criteria of a new degree of
usefulness and that's why people *will* buy them.

Bill[_37_] May 22nd 12 08:33 PM

What's The Drill?

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Oops, look like it is Ridgid.

-MIKE- May 22nd 12 08:47 PM

What's The Drill? (drill press)

On 5/22/12 1:25 PM, John Shear wrote:
Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't been
in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill press sure
would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop Mortiser because it
was obvious how that would make my projects get done faster with better
quality. So educate me on what makes a drill press a valuable thing to
have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

John S.

I drill press is like any other bench version of a tool. You don't
"need" it to do anything you couldn't do with the handheld version, but
once you have one, you wondered how to lived without it.

It speeds up a lot of processes. It's indispensable for repeatable
tasks. Drilling in round stock it a hundred times easier with a press.
Drill in metal without punching a starter dimple.
Now that I think about it, it does some things you can't do with a
handheld drill. You can drill right over a smaller hole to make it
bigger. You can use hole saws without a guide bit.... I have several
diamond saws that don't have center bits.

A press also multitasks as a drum sander which comes in handy quite
often. Like someone else stated, even the cheap ones are really handy. I
got my Ryobi for 50 bucks on clearance and if it's not the best $50 I
ever spent, it's in the top 5. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 09:26 PM

What's The Drill?

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Bill - don't wonder. Spend the 30 seconds to actually look at the warranty
on line, rather than asking questions that are already answered. No - if
you do your research, you don't have to be careful.

--

-Mike-

Steve B[_13_] May 22nd 12 09:34 PM

What's The Drill?

A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the way
that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you are not
disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge about this
one.

Lots of borg stores, you just take the dead one in, and they hand you a new
one.

Steve

Steve B[_13_] May 22nd 12 09:38 PM

What's The Drill?

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message
My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I was given a 18v. Dewalt, a combo with the impact. I like it a lot. The
impact has a light and that is extremely useful, I wish the drill had the
light. The Ridgid has the light. There may be a good choice out there
right now of three to five models. They are all good, and have different
bells and whistles. It just depends on what's on sale, and what you buy and
are used to, or if it is free.

Steve

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 09:42 PM

What's The Drill?

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:54:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should -
they do. Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Sure, in a perfect world, a warranty or a lifetime warranty if you
prefer, is certainly useful in the case of something breaking before
its time. But, all the tools I've every bought which includes drills,
have come with a substantial warranty to start. That's three years in
the case of my DeWalt drills. They're almost five years old now and
there's no hint of tool failure or battery dying anywhere. If a drill
dies on me at this point, I'll likely upgrade to a Li-Ion drill
because of the advantages to it. Or, in the case of battery, I'll
consider having it rebuilt.

That's fair Dave, but I have owned tools that have had value to me long past
the 3 year warranty peiod, and I do not feel I need to buy a new one in
three years, just because they made some incremental improvement. In the
case of Rigid, if they upgrade the batteries, you end up with the upgraded
battery. That has been my personal experience.

Either way, in my almost 30 years of woodworking experience when I
bought my first cordless drill, never have I had one fail on me
(drill or battery) prematurely.

Well - that's pretty subjective. What do you define as "prematurely"? If
you mean within the warranty period - that can be a legitimate definition,
but it is not not what I expect out of a tool.

That's what I'm trying to say. In my case anyway, a lifetime warranty
is wasted on me and I'd suggest on most others too.

Well - my experience with many brands of tools is different than yours then.
I have had many batteries for example, die within the warranty period of the
tool - only to find that batteries are not covered by the warranty. Why
would you argue against a company that actually does warranty their
batteries as well as the not-likely-to-be-encountered-failure in materials
and workmanship?

Answered above. But, just to give you an answer, by the time my first
battery started dying on me (Milwaukee brand, five or six years old),
they no longer made that type of battery because of advances in
battery technology. A lifetime warranty would have been useless.

And my experience with DeWalt was that the damned batteries crapped out well
within the tool warranty period. Stuck - because the batteries were not
covered under the warranty. And you consider that to be good?

There is no one here - including those who think they are the peak of
professional workmanship, who need to have the latest and greatest, most
best tool on the market. If the damned tool is good - then it is good and
it will serve. I don't even want to hear any more about how an expensive
tool will save 3 minutes of work - that's just hogwash. If you feel you can
justify buying new tools every couple of years, then god bless ya - I don't.
I just will not succomb to that line of thinking. I've been working with
too many tools that are more than 3 years old, to fall prey to that line of
crap.

I'd suggest it is true. We live in an instant gratification society
and the newer technologies are most definitely at the forefront of
that 'instant gratification'.

Then you need to get out into the real world Dave. Having worked at HD, I
can tell you that what you say about people needing the newest and greatest
and all that stuff is pure crap. Believe what you will, but people just do
not buy that way. Surprise!

And for people who do woodworking professionally, like Karl
and Leon, the newer tools are a boon. The Domino and the Domino XL
are graphic examples of this.

The very same arguments you expressed above could be applied to
those tools

Also answered above. But, these aren't cordless tools and they don't
have anything near approaching a lifetime warranty. I shouldn't have
used them as an example to bolster my original argument. However, they
*are* newer technology, so they do fit the criteria of a new degree of
usefulness and that's why people *will* buy them.

What does cordless have to do with it? It's the concept.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 22nd 12 09:45 PM

What's The Drill?

Steve B wrote:
A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the
way that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you
are not disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge
about this one.

Lots of borg stores, you just take the dead one in, and they hand you
a new one.

Not all. My HD store did not take them back. Used to, but they stopped.
Some do, and some don't. Ridgid does have warranty centers all over the
place though.

--

-Mike-

Tom Dacon[_6_] May 22nd 12 09:46 PM

What's The Drill?

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message ...

My beloved Makita 9V cordless drill is finally worn out. I think I got
my money's worth - 18 years of home improvement, furniture projects,
and general maintenance.

So ... what shall I buy to replace it. I am looking at another
Makita or a DeWalt (both 18V Li).

What is the Wreck-wisdom here?

I haven't read the rest of the responses so I don't know if anyone has
suggested this, but here goes from my experience:

I've got that same Makita 9V cordless as my garage drill (the knuckle
battery, not the long straight one). It's still in good shape and I use it
regularly and like it because of the light weight and good balance, but for
work down on the boat I recently bought a Festool CXS and I really like it.
It was expensive at $250, but it's a sweetheart. 10.8V lithium-ion, and has
considerably more power than the Makita, much longer battery life, and might
actually be lighter. When I bring the Festool home from the boat for good
I'm going to turn the Makita over to my wife and keep the CXS for myself.

So there's my opinion.

Tom

Puckdropper[_2_] May 22nd 12 11:09 PM

What's The Drill?

Dave wrote in
:

Personally, I think it's mostly irrelevant if there's a lifetime
warranty on these ubiquitous tools. By the time they wear out or a
battery dies and/or can't be rebuilt, one would likely want to upgrade
to something newer, at least I would.

*snip*

The nice thing about the Ridgid warranty is that batteries are covered as
well. Tool manufacturers are making entire lines of tools that use the
same batteries, so when the batteries finally die it's possible to have
several hundred or even a couple thousand invested in portable tools.

What's a couple batteries compared to having to replace half your shop?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Steve B[_13_] May 22nd 12 11:45 PM

What's The Drill?

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
A "lifetime warranty" is great. Just make sure you understand the
way that the word "lifetime" is defined in the warranty so that you
are not disappointed a few years down the road. I have no knowledge
about this one.

Lots of borg stores, you just take the dead one in, and they hand you
a new one.

Not all. My HD store did not take them back. Used to, but they stopped.
Some do, and some don't. Ridgid does have warranty centers all over the
place though.

--

-Mike-

I stand corrected. Since mine did, I ass-u-med all did.

Steve

Mike M May 23rd 12 01:27 AM

What's The Drill?

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:42:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

But it depends, mostly I agree with you. I still have an old 9.6 volt
Makita that for light to medium duty is a joy to use, there 9.6 volt
sawsall would cut 1/2" emt which was nice working in a lift. Used the
little 3" saw to cut sono tubes off pole bases. Then we were doing a
lighting retrofit of the Kenworth plant in Renton, Wa. when I brought
the first 18v dewalt on the job site. Within 2 weeks everyone of the
journeyman electricians had one. That was back some years ago and
over time I've accumalted the sawsall, flashlight, trim saw, impact
drill and 90 degree drill. I don't work anymore but it's cheaper for
me to keep buying batteries, just have to search for deals. And those
old NiCads do put out a lot of work. Still have my hole hawg and
magnum but rarely go to them anymore. So think about what cordless
tools you want and what they offer and battery quality. The more you
can match up the pieces the easier it is. For me I'm content with
the Dewalt 18 volt for what I'm doing now.

Mike M

Mike M May 23rd 12 01:33 AM

What's The Drill?

On Tue, 22 May 2012 12:59:09 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

John Shear wrote:

What really differentiates one brand from another is the internals, so
unfortunately it's hard to compare brands. One thing that would be
handy is a little built-in LED worklight if any drills have such a
thing.

Some - if not perhaps, most do have that now John. I know my 3 year old
Ridgid does have an LED - and as foolish as I might have thought that to be
at one time - it really is a help. Especially as the eyes get... not so
good! I suspect (and cannot verify) that this is becoming a common thing.

No kidding, since I don't do bifocals some times that led is a real
joy, or my big head is blocking the light.

Mike M

Mike M May 23rd 12 01:38 AM

What's The Drill? (drill press)

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:44:29 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

John Shear wrote:
Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't
been in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill
press sure would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop
Mortiser because it was obvious how that would make my projects get
done faster with better quality. So educate me on what makes a drill
press a valuable thing to have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

Maybe it's the difference in how we use (would use) it John. I use mine for
very precise holes. Don't get me wrong - I still use my drill motor for a
lot f holes, but when precision counts, I turn to my drill press. That
said - I also do a lot ofmetal work, and not just wood work.

Agree totally and if your drilling metal the drill press improves life
as well as good bits and cutting oil. I've always wanted one of the
magnetic ones but can't justify it.

Mike M