Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally OT

What happens when schools stop teaching music.

What happens when you let them do this to express their individuality.

What happens when you don't discipline your kids.

What happens when kids have more money than their parents.

Yes, this is Justin Berber. White boy gone wrong and having no pride in
himself.

http://music.yahoo.com/photos/wango-...337025812.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 07:44:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

What happens when schools stop teaching music.

What happens when you let them do this to express their individuality.

What happens when you don't discipline your kids.

What happens when kids have more money than their parents.

Yes, this is Justin Berber. White boy gone wrong and having no pride in
himself.

http://music.yahoo.com/photos/wango-...337025812.html

What an interesting group of people. Glad I'm of a different
generation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
What happens when schools stop teaching music.

We had about 2 hours of music instruction in 8 years of Catholic grade
school. PBS and WQXR taught me a lot more. I have 2 family members with
taste in music and they gave me a start.

When I was 11, I liked jazz and my friends liked KISS. I couldn't
understand why they didn't want to listen to music. It's my opinion now
that most people never really listen to music. Not really listen.

But to your question, I don't think school can really make a difference.
Most people are born with no taste, but instead with a predisposition to
follow a herd. The most you can do is act as a shepherd to the herd, and
too many modern parents don't do that. It takes solidarity among adults.

What happens when you let them do this to express their individuality.

What happens when you don't discipline your kids.

I don't think Beiber has a real sense of individuality. He emulates rappers
because he thinks that's the right herd to follow.

Lots of famous or infamous (Lewinsky) kids appear to have parents with no
leadership skills at all.

What happens when kids have more money than their parents.

The excess money is detrimental, but it's not catastrophic. They can have
discipline at the same time.

When I was 5, I got $5 in the Christmas card from my grandmother. Now they
get $100 at a time. I probably got $25 at Confirmation. I know a girl who
just got $1100 at her Confirmation.

The result of this is that kids don't learn the value of money, but they can
have discipline in other ways at the same time. My sister's son sometimes
had more liquid cash than his parents. They took loans from him - with
interest. But he wasn't given the kind of license the kids in those
pictures get.

Yes, this is Justin Berber. White boy gone wrong and having no pride
in himself.

http://music.yahoo.com/photos/wango-...337025812.html

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2012 4:55 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Leon wrote:
What happens when schools stop teaching music.

We had about 2 hours of music instruction in 8 years of Catholic grade
school. PBS and WQXR taught me a lot more. I have 2 family members with
taste in music and they gave me a start.

When I was 11, I liked jazz and my friends liked KISS. I couldn't
understand why they didn't want to listen to music. It's my opinion now
that most people never really listen to music. Not really listen.

But to your question, I don't think school can really make a difference.
Most people are born with no taste, but instead with a predisposition to
follow a herd. The most you can do is act as a shepherd to the herd, and
too many modern parents don't do that. It takes solidarity among adults.

I grew up with music being a part of school every year that I went to
school. I believe that it certainly does make a difference, as now a
majority of the kids have turned to cRAP. If you are not influnced with
the good stuff you learn the bad stuff.

What happens when you let them do this to express their individuality.

What happens when you don't discipline your kids.

I don't think Beiber has a real sense of individuality. He emulates rappers
because he thinks that's the right herd to follow.

IIRC he has only recently turned down that path along with his potty
training pants. He has been successful enough to retire but his
audience is ignorant as to what decent music really is. The cRappers
are teaching the kids now.

Lots of famous or infamous (Lewinsky) kids appear to have parents with no
leadership skills at all.

Talent down the drain.

What happens when kids have more money than their parents.

The excess money is detrimental, but it's not catastrophic. They can have
discipline at the same time.

When I was 5, I got $5 in the Christmas card from my grandmother. Now they
get $100 at a time. I probably got $25 at Confirmation. I know a girl who
just got $1100 at her Confirmation.

The result of this is that kids don't learn the value of money, but they can
have discipline in other ways at the same time. My sister's son sometimes
had more liquid cash than his parents. They took loans from him - with
interest. But he wasn't given the kind of license the kids in those
pictures get.

The numbers that you are talking about here are irrelevant. Those that
are influencing our kids know little to nothing about music and because
they do have some talent, although misguided, are making a killing. I
guarantee you that if our society brought music back to all of the
schools the RAP cRAP would all but disappear.

Yes, this is Justin Berber. White boy gone wrong and having no pride
in himself.

http://music.yahoo.com/photos/wango-...337025812.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, today's kids are a real mess. I sure am glad that I was a teenager
in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have any on & off stage nudity, drug use,
sex, or other inappropriate behaviour at rock shows back in those days,
did we?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I'm having a hard time reading this without laughing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I was 5, I got $5 in the Christmas card from my grandmother. Now
they
get $100 at a time. I probably got $25 at Confirmation. I know a girl
who
just got $1100 at her Confirmation.

The result of this is that kids don't learn the value of money, but they
can
have discipline in other ways at the same time.

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 02:25:54 +0000 (UTC),
Yeah, today's kids are a real mess. I sure am glad that I was a teenager
in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have any on & off stage nudity, drug use,
sex, or other inappropriate behaviour at rock shows back in those days,
did we?

Either your memory is going from old age or you were a protected
child. The 60s and 70s were my teenage years and nudity and drug use
were the order of the day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 5:52 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 02:25:54 +0000 (UTC),
Yeah, today's kids are a real mess. I sure am glad that I was a teenager
in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have any on& off stage nudity, drug use,
sex, or other inappropriate behaviour at rock shows back in those days,
did we?

Either your memory is going from old age or you were a protected
child. The 60s and 70s were my teenage years and nudity and drug use
were the order of the day.

Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the
kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks
just like out son during patty training.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
When I was 5, I got $5 in the Christmas card from my grandmother.
Now they
get $100 at a time. I probably got $25 at Confirmation. I know
a girl who
just got $1100 at her Confirmation.

The result of this is that kids don't learn the value of money,
but they can
have discipline in other ways at the same time.

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

Just 30 years. I hope you are not saying that inflation accounts for it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 12:27 AM, CW wrote:

I'm having a hard time reading this without laughing.

So am I ... seeing how my Dad threw my sister's Elvis records into the
front yard saying: "You call that crap MUSIC??"

(and our each member of family of seven played one or more instruments)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

------------------------------
Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 12:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

------------------------------
Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Starting at 14, and all through jr and sr high school, I made .50/hour
working at a nursery/landscape company after school and on weekends ...
$4/day, seven days a week in the summer. From that, and besides buying
my own clothes and shoes (and a $200, 1949 Willys Jeepster), I saved
$1000 for my entire first year of college in 1962, which paid for
tuition, books, room and board, laundry, and had $40 left to last the
rest of my freshman year.

I got a check for $8 from my parents in April of the second semester of
that year, which I didn't even cash ... their first, last and total
financial contribution to my higher education.

Let's see a kid try that today ... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been ****ed to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

My parents financed my college education. Tuition at the time was
equivalent to ~$125/year for the first 4 of my 6 years (63-69). Room,
board, books, fees etc were extra. If you were needy enough you could
get loans and/or grants easily enough, and there were/are fairly easy
college-level jobs for extras.

I have no idea what the real costs are nowadays, but this link says that
tuition is €1,771 per year (€1 =~ USD$1.30).
http://www.studeren.uva.nl/inschrijven/geldzaken.cfm
Note that nowadays there are fairly hefty fines if you stay on as a
student too long. The English version doesn't seem to mention costs on
the first page.

Yes, we had it easy ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been f*** to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

That's a a nicely stated summary.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Bill wrote in :

Swingman wrote:
... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been f*** to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights"
to higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

That's a a nicely stated summary.

Bill

This country became great because of its systems of education, free or
otherwise. To throw away the potential of all or some of our current
young people is criminal (obviously my opinion, YMMV).

NOTE: Education costs money. Who should bear the costs - society or
each individual - is a moral question that everyone should weigh in on.
The more or less recent emphasis (since the 70's??) in the US on giving
everyone a college education, regardless of ability, is of course utter
nonsense. But, but, but everyone who shows potential should either pay
for such an education himself (genderless word!) or should get easy
financing of that education. EMPHASIS is on "shows potential", and
throw out the bums who don't work at it.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 2:53 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

Swingman wrote:
... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been f*** to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights"
to higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

That's a a nicely stated summary.

Bill

NOTE: Education costs money. Who should bear the costs - society or
each individual - is a moral question that everyone should weigh in on.
nonsense.

It is as painfully obvious as the nose on your face that the jury
already came back with that verdict:

The availability of student loans is precisely what has led to the
spiraling costs of higher education. More student loans will only
guarantee higher costs because colleges and universities, with their
corporatist attitude ("MBA think" again), will continue to line their
pockets just like Wall Street has.

Another shameful example of failure to fathom consequences.

Between the government, banks, and the legal system it has become
impossible to pay off students loans; these high interest rate
non-forgivable loans, which the taxpayer will pay again when that
inevitable bubble bursts ... and this one will be more on the order of
an explosion.

This country is sick, terminally so ... there is no longer a moral
component ... it's a game the system business model, get what you can
and **** the consequences, brought to you by a Senator sponsored by
Pfizer, a Congressman sponsored by Monsanto, and a legal system
providing guidance in the business model.

Look no further than this weeks infamous, upcoming IPO for the
underlying idiocy of it all ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
news
On 5/16/2012 2:53 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

Swingman wrote:
[...]

LOL!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

I entered college in 1962, Tuition was about $500/quarter (year = 3
quarters) and I was working about 20 hr/wk at 1.25/hr. When I graduated
4 years later, tuition was $720/qt and I was working about 40 hr at
2.50/ hr. My wage rate started at the minimum wage, and ended above the
minimum wage, ie I got a raise when the government increased the minimum
wage.

I paid for all of my books, tuition, and other school expenses, and
bought and maintained a car to get to school and work. (I lived at home,
but had to have a car to get to school.) I also bought the majority of
my cloths and was also dating during college.
..
Based on the referenced website the 500 is now worth between 3000 and
12900, or for the 3 quarters (one year)9000 to 38700.

In 2011, the relative value my hourly rate of $1.50/hr in 1962 ranges
from $8.92 to $38.70.

Since the minimum wage is 7.25 today, I see no reason why a a motivated
student, could not repeat what I did with minimum debt. I went into debt
my last quarter ($720) and paid it off in 4 years.
http:as//www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

In 2011, the relative value of $500.00 from 1962 ranges from $2,970.00
to $12,900.00.

A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is
$3,720.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $500 by the percentage
increase in the CPI from 1962 to 2011.

The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are
interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or
Wealth , or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best
measure, read the essay "Explaining the Measures of Worth."

If you want to compare the value of a $500.00 Commodity in 1962 there
are three choices. In 2011 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $3,720.00
labor value of that commodity is $4,030.00(using the unskilled wage) or
$4,960.00(using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $7,710.00

If you want to compare the value of a $500.00 Income or Wealth , in 1962
there are three choices. In 2011 the relative:
historic standard of living value of that income or wealth is $3,720.00
economic status value of that income or wealth is $7,710.00
economic power value of that income or wealth is $12,900.00

If you want to compare the value of a $500.00 Project in 1962 there are
four choices. In 2011 the relative:
historic opportunity cost of that project is $2,970.00
labor cost of that project is $4,030.00(using the unskilled wage) or
$4,960.00(using production worker compensation)
economy cost of that project is $12,900.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 5/16/2012 5:52 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 02:25:54 +0000 (UTC),
Yeah, today's kids are a real mess. I sure am glad that I was a teenager
in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have any on& off stage nudity, drug use,
sex, or other inappropriate behaviour at rock shows back in those days,
did we?

Either your memory is going from old age or you were a protected
child. The 60s and 70s were my teenage years and nudity and drug use
were the order of the day.

Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the
kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks
just like out son during patty training.
Yep, with the earrings, tattoos, long hair, ripped jeans, pot, acid, rock
music ect. Yes, we were trying to be upstanding responsible adults, just
like our parents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

------------------------------
Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Starting at 14, and all through jr and sr high school, I made .50/hour
working at a nursery/landscape company after school and on weekends ...
$4/day, seven days a week in the summer. From that, and besides buying
my own clothes and shoes (and a $200, 1949 Willys Jeepster), I saved
$1000 for my entire first year of college in 1962, which paid for
tuition, books, room and board, laundry, and had $40 left to last the
rest of my freshman year.

Ouch!

I got a check for $8 from my parents in April of the second semester of
that year, which I didn't even cash ... their first, last and total
financial contribution to my higher education.

Dad put up $100 toward my first car, and my parents covered my
automotive tech school (UTI) + room and board (cheap in Phoenix,
shared house and shared apartment.) Work comp paid for my retraining
after the accident (Coleman College Computer Electronics Technology)
But I've been working since age 14.

Let's see a kid try that today ... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been ****ed to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

What sucks is that today's kids think they absolutely _must_ own a
brand new vehicle with ten grand of bling on it, $400 tennies,
designer sunglasses and jeans, a state-of-the-art laptop computer,
4,000 new computer games, and a grand a week drug/woman habit.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:29:19 -0400, Bill wrote:

Swingman wrote:
... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been f*** to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

That's a a nicely stated summary.

'Twas, wasn't it? I'd like to know how many of these kids who
graduate actually take up the career associated with their college
classes.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 06:55:20 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the
kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks
just like out son during patty training.

Yeah, but we're old guys. We really have very little understanding of
the kind of pressures and difficulties kids go through these days. All
we have is our knowledge that we got through it. What makes sense to
us these days wouldn't mean much to us if we were sixteen again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:29:19 -0400, wrote:

Swingman wrote:
... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been f*** to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

That's a a nicely stated summary.

'Twas, wasn't it? I'd like to know how many of these kids who
graduate actually take up the career associated with their college
classes.

Every one of the computer science majors I know that "got it" has gotten
a job (over the years). Just like when I earned my BS, there are a few
(maybe 10%?) that can earn the degree but don't really have what it
takes. One student I know got a job with Microsoft this year. That
doesn't usually happen. It gives me confidence that the computer science
curriculum is still reasonably-designed however. It includes
topics *some* would consider "dated" like compiler construction
(building a lexical scanner, etc.).

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 10:48 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 06:55:20 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the
kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks
just like out son during patty training.

Yeah, but we're old guys. We really have very little understanding of
the kind of pressures and difficulties kids go through these days. All
we have is our knowledge that we got through it. What makes sense to
us these days wouldn't mean much to us if we were sixteen again.

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays
kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a
kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants
below his butt?

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.

Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh
MY! Loud music, POT etc.

I can't really can't see an adult employee coming to work with his pants
hanging down around his knees.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 May 2012 07:29:59 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.
Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh
MY! Loud music, POT etc.

Well, in this case the answer is easy, at least for me. I don't have
much hair anymore, bell bottom jeans don't come in my size, my hips
are eclipsed by my stomach, loud music hurts my ears and I can't
afford pot anymore.

See? There are some advantages to getting older.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Twas, wasn't it? I'd like to know how many of these kids who
graduate actually take up the career associated with their college
classes.

Heh!

I saw an interview a few months back with an "Occupy" protester. He had
spiked hair and a dangling ear-ring. He was also carrying a sign with some
unintelligible slogan. Anyway, he virtually shouted to the interviewer: "I
graduated from college three months ago and I can't even get an interview
for a job..."

"What was your college major?" the interviewer innocently asked.

"I don't see how that's relevant!" retorted the hippie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

What sucks is that today's kids think they absolutely _must_ own a
brand new vehicle with ten grand of bling on it, $400 tennies,
designer sunglasses and jeans, a state-of-the-art laptop computer,
4,000 new computer games, and a grand a week drug/woman habit.

The extreme spending example shows they are taking a cue from their parents.

Parents want to have what the Jones have whether they can afford it or
not, see that as in debt up to their eye balls. The kids see the Jones
kids and want what they want so the parents go in debt further to keep
up the image. And unfortunately mom and dad both have to work and who
raises the kids.

I truly believe that our society would be better off if we went back to
one parent working and one being home for the kids. We need to be
judged more for how our kids turn out than our accumulation of "stuff"
that we do not really need.

It is easy to fall into that trap. My wife and I both worked and we had
our son in day care and private school through second grade. We owned
three vehicle, owed on two of them, and a house.

At 40 I retired, and sent our son to a public school. Oddly enough
within 2 years of retiring we were debt free and I stayed at home while
I began my small woodworking business at home. I am not sure how my son
would have turned out had I continued to work and we had kept him in
private schools.

BUT living within your means teaches your kids something. Our son
continued to do well in public schools and he never needed to have the
expensive bling. He learned how to save and did quite well in college
earning his masters degree shortly before his 23rd birthday and had no
college debt, he contributed about half towards his college education. A
year later he was awarded his CPA license and had a good job waiting for
him when he finished college. He currently owns his own home and is on
schedule to have the mortgage paid off at the end of next year. He paid
1/3 down payment on the house from money he earned while working and
going to school. Not too bad for a 24 year old.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

BUT living within your means teaches your kids something. Our son
continued to do well in public schools and he never needed to have the
expensive bling. He learned how to save and did quite well in college
earning his masters degree shortly before his 23rd birthday and had no
college debt, he contributed about half towards his college education. A
year later he was awarded his CPA license and had a good job waiting for
him when he finished college. He currently owns his own home and is on
schedule to have the mortgage paid off at the end of next year. He paid
1/3 down payment on the house from money he earned while working and
going to school. Not too bad for a 24 year old.

That is a tribute to parenting ... the highest tribute there is.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2012 8:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/17/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

BUT living within your means teaches your kids something. Our son
continued to do well in public schools and he never needed to have the
expensive bling. He learned how to save and did quite well in college
earning his masters degree shortly before his 23rd birthday and had no
college debt, he contributed about half towards his college education. A
year later he was awarded his CPA license and had a good job waiting for
him when he finished college. He currently owns his own home and is on
schedule to have the mortgage paid off at the end of next year. He paid
1/3 down payment on the house from money he earned while working and
going to school. Not too bad for a 24 year old.

That is a tribute to parenting ... the highest tribute there is.

Parenting yes. Good parenting, maybe. Most kids are getting no
parenting, so to speak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:54:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

This country is sick, terminally so ... there is no longer a moral
component ... it's a game the system business model, get what you can
and **** the consequences, brought to you by a Senator sponsored by
Pfizer, a Congressman sponsored by Monsanto, and a legal system
providing guidance in the business model.

Amen! Although I wouldn't limit it to the US. Seems to me we've done
quite well exporting our business model, although some countries have had
that model longer than we have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 18:34:24 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are
interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or
Wealth , or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best
measure, read the essay "Explaining the Measures of Worth."

IOW, economists can make the numbers say whatever they want them to
say :-).

But they can't quantify the loss of value inherent in the changes in our
society since I was a youngster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays
kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a
kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants
below his butt?
Practicing to be a plumber.

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.
Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh
MY! Loud music, POT etc.
Worn your platform shoes lately ? How about your tie dyed shirt? Some things
(thankfully) go away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:54:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

This country is sick, terminally so ... there is no longer a moral
component ... it's a game the system business model, get what you can
and **** the consequences, brought to you by a Senator sponsored by
Pfizer, a Congressman sponsored by Monsanto, and a legal system
providing guidance in the business model.

Amen! Although I wouldn't limit it to the US. Seems to me we've done
quite well exporting our business model, although some countries have
had that model longer than we have.

So... I guess we didn't really export it then, did we?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

The extreme spending example shows they are taking a cue from their
parents.

Parents want to have what the Jones have whether they can afford it
or not, see that as in debt up to their eye balls. The kids see the
Jones kids and want what they want so the parents go in debt further
to keep up the image. And unfortunately mom and dad both have to
work and who raises the kids.

I truly believe that our society would be better off if we went back
to one parent working and one being home for the kids. We need to
be judged more for how our kids turn out than our accumulation of
"stuff" that we do not really need.

-----------------------------------
Yep.

As I learned at a very early age, waste not, want not.

Simplifying your life is reducing the number of keys on your key ring.

If you are a sailor, you have arrived when you have only a single key
for the boat on your key ring.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2012 11:02 AM, CW wrote:

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays
kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a
kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants
below his butt?

Practicing to be a plumber.

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.
Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh
MY! Loud music, POT etc.
Worn your platform shoes lately ? How about your tie dyed shirt? Some
things (thankfully) go away.

Women's platform shoes are quite common these days and have been for
some time. Tie dye, I see that almost daily.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2012 2:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Simplifying your life is reducing the number of keys on your key ring.

If you are a sailor, you have arrived when you have only a single key
for the boat on your key ring.

Now _that_ is a noble goal ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 5/17/2012 11:02 AM, CW wrote:

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays
kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a
kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants
below his butt?

Practicing to be a plumber.

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.
Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh
MY! Loud music, POT etc.
Worn your platform shoes lately ? How about your tie dyed shirt? Some
things (thankfully) go away.

Women's platform shoes are quite common these days and have been for
some time. Tie dye, I see that almost daily.
You know that I wasn't talking about women's shoes.

OT mostly, but not totally Leon Woodworking 20 January 27th 09 11:22 PM
Totally new to DIY John UK diy 3 April 20th 06 08:47 PM
O.T. (totally, but don't know who else to ask!) Limey Lurker Woodworking 16 September 29th 05 08:14 PM
Not totally OT John UK diy 5 July 17th 03 10:23 PM