Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Totally OT

Swingman wrote in
:

On 5/16/2012 12:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

------------------------------
Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Starting at 14, and all through jr and sr high school, I made .50/hour
working at a nursery/landscape company after school and on weekends
... $4/day, seven days a week in the summer. From that, and besides
buying my own clothes and shoes (and a $200, 1949 Willys Jeepster), I
saved $1000 for my entire first year of college in 1962, which paid
for tuition, books, room and board, laundry, and had $40 left to last
the rest of my freshman year.

I got a check for $8 from my parents in April of the second semester
of that year, which I didn't even cash ... their first, last and total
financial contribution to my higher education.

Let's see a kid try that today ... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been ****ed to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think'
of tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual
"rights" to higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else
pays.

My parents financed my college education. Tuition at the time was
equivalent to ~$125/year for the first 4 of my 6 years (63-69). Room,
board, books, fees etc were extra. If you were needy enough you could
get loans and/or grants easily enough, and there were/are fairly easy
college-level jobs for extras.

I have no idea what the real costs are nowadays, but this link says that
tuition is €1,771 per year (€1 =~ USD$1.30).
http://www.studeren.uva.nl/inschrijven/geldzaken.cfm
Note that nowadays there are fairly hefty fines if you stay on as a
student too long. The English version doesn't seem to mention costs on
the first page.

Yes, we had it easy ...

--
Best regards