Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally OT

On Wed, 16 May 2012 13:39:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/16/2012 12:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour
too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

------------------------------
Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Starting at 14, and all through jr and sr high school, I made .50/hour
working at a nursery/landscape company after school and on weekends ...
$4/day, seven days a week in the summer. From that, and besides buying
my own clothes and shoes (and a $200, 1949 Willys Jeepster), I saved
$1000 for my entire first year of college in 1962, which paid for
tuition, books, room and board, laundry, and had $40 left to last the
rest of my freshman year.

Ouch!

I got a check for $8 from my parents in April of the second semester of
that year, which I didn't even cash ... their first, last and total
financial contribution to my higher education.

Dad put up $100 toward my first car, and my parents covered my
automotive tech school (UTI) + room and board (cheap in Phoenix,
shared house and shared apartment.) Work comp paid for my retraining
after the accident (Coleman College Computer Electronics Technology)
But I've been working since age 14.

Let's see a kid try that today ... then tell me we, as a culture,
haven't been ****ed to the max by the subsequent 'progressive think' of
tax payer funded entitlements, student loans, and individual "rights" to
higher education ... yeah "right", as long as someone else pays.

What sucks is that today's kids think they absolutely _must_ own a
brand new vehicle with ten grand of bling on it, $400 tennies,
designer sunglasses and jeans, a state-of-the-art laptop computer,
4,000 new computer games, and a grand a week drug/woman habit.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,