Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Cabinet Door - AFCCT

On 5/03/12 10:21 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 08:13:40 -0500, wrote:
Just goes to shows you ... any country boy will tell you in a heartbeat
that ducks, and geese, are far far far more objectionable, and vile,
than any flock of hens that ever lived ... those cute little ducks will
make your pigeons look like altar boys.

I haven't had any real experience with ducks, but I have run into some
Canada Geese down at Toronto Island. The way those birds hiss at you
and then attack had me thinking I'd rather deal with a pit bull. Those
birds are *mean*.

It's also the reason why I stopped going down there a good ten years
ago. You couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in
goose ****. I've mentioned this previously, but it deserves mention
again.

Guess you can tell eh? I'm not a bird person.

Dave, I too live in Toronto, but not downtown, we have two houses in the
area with pigeon coops in the backyard, and they both let the flock out
every now and then. Let's just say I am glad we aren't any closer to
either of them.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 09:20:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:
So, you punish them all, instead of just the irresponsible ones.

With the bleeding heart nanny laws in place these days, the
irresponsible ones are starting to outnumber the responsible ones.
Very few are willing to stand up for their values these days, because
they get shouted down by the rank and file.

People are getting lazier and greedier as time goes by. I guess I
can't blame them. Look at our politicians these days pigging out on
the public pig trough with their attitudes of entitlement. Very few
examples of how to live there.

DAGS on Bev Oda or Conrad Black.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/12 6:53 AM, Leon wrote:
I can't say that the noise of any hen or rooster for that matter is any
worse than a barking dog. Yes I have been around both and you simply get
used to the noise.

How do you get used to a barking dog? Especially at 2am.

People who keep their dogs outside 24/7 and let them bark all night are
just inconsiderate and rude. And it has nothing to do with security...
those things cry wolf at all hours for every leaf that drops. They'd
probably *stop* barking if a thief showed up, because they'd think he
was going let them out of their pen.

Glad I got that off my chest. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote:

I haven't had any real experience with ducks, but I have run into
some
Canada Geese down at Toronto Island. The way those birds hiss at you
and then attack had me thinking I'd rather deal with a pit bull.
Those
birds are *mean*.

----------------------------------
Geese AKA nature's manure generator.

Around here, "Guard Geese" are not uncommon.

Can make more noise than barking dogs.

You never want to get between mama goose and her clutch.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 9:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/3/12 6:53 AM, Leon wrote:
I can't say that the noise of any hen or rooster for that matter is any
worse than a barking dog. Yes I have been around both and you simply get
used to the noise.

How do you get used to a barking dog? Especially at 2am.

People who keep their dogs outside 24/7 and let them bark all night are
just inconsiderate and rude. And it has nothing to do with security...
those things cry wolf at all hours for every leaf that drops. They'd
probably *stop* barking if a thief showed up, because they'd think he
was going let them out of their pen.

Glad I got that off my chest. :-)

What he said. Exactly.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 08:00:31 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/2/2012 9:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2012 21:19:36 -0500, wrote:

On 5/2/2012 7:06 PM, Dave wrote:

Thought I would never say this, but you just made me a lot prouder of
our touchy, feely progressives here in Texas ... bless their little pea
picking liberal hearts.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/..._ece_frontpage

I have to question how long it will last. Roosters crowing at sunrise
waking up everyone within earshot. Escaped hens roaming the streets,
feathers blowing everywhere. Bird poop is usually toxic so there may
be repercussions there.

Nope, I think it's a bad idea, at least in an urban environment.

You missed the operative word ... "hens". Roosters are never allowed in
urban settings.

Hens cluck softly unless disturbed, when they let out some pretty loud
noises. Roosters are 100x worse, but hens are damned loud and I
wouldn't want any next door to me.

Damned city wusses ... wouldn't know a Plymouth Rock from a White
Leghorn unless it was in a cartoon on TV.

Would too! Plymouth rock is like Bostonian Top 40 (ICK!) and Foghorn
was grey.

My last girlfriend had bunches of chickens. They occasionally got
noisy and interrupted our phone conversations. She had over a dozen
different types, but I never got their names. Some were checkerboard
(barred Ply Rocks?), had poofy hairdos (Polish or silkie?), and prolly
leghorns and regular Reds.

Just so you know, I have a 1/3 acre lot with one house on the east
side. North of it and me are 4+ acres of horse pasture and one barn.
To my west are 11+ acres of cattle grazing land. To my south is an
acre of orchard.

The big city (Grants Pass, population: 34,533) is 3.5 miles northwest
of me. It's in 1,642 sq. mi. Josephine County, population: 82,713.
Not exactly "big city" turf, is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grants_Pass (No, the statue is of my
other brother, Darrell.)

So, C_Less ... all this Libertarian ranting is just that, as long as
_you_ get to decide who does what?

If your neighbor has a constantly barking dog or teenage drummer, how
could you possibly feel that the neighbor wasn't infringing on your
right to a sane (aka: quiet) lifestyle? Libertarian ways allow you to
whack his peepee for it, which is only fair.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 09:20:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Dave wrote:

In any event, it's people I don't trust to be responsible if it came
down to hen ownership. *There*, I do have an understanding and
experience.

So, you punish them all, instead of just the irresponsible ones.

PUNISH? "Hey, she has chickens. Why can't I have a rhinoceros?"

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 3:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 09:20:05 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

In any event, it's people I don't trust to be responsible if it came
down to hen ownership. *There*, I do have an understanding and
experience.

So, you punish them all, instead of just the irresponsible ones.

PUNISH? "Hey, she has chickens. Why can't I have a rhinoceros?"

You can have one as soon as Denny's serves their eggs on toast and KFC's
fries their drumsticks and thighs.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 3:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

My last girlfriend had bunches of chickens. They occasionally got
noisy and interrupted our phone conversations. She had over a dozen
different types, but I never got their names. Some were checkerboard
(barred Ply Rocks?), had poofy hairdos (Polish or silkie?), and prolly
leghorns and regular Reds.

Limits, limits ... one cicada won't deafen you; a summer cast of
thousands will make you take out the ear plugs.

Just so you know, I have a 1/3 acre lot with one house on the east
side. North of it and me are 4+ acres of horse pasture and one barn.
To my west are 11+ acres of cattle grazing land. To my south is an
acre of orchard.

Whoa there, country boy ... how far to the closet Wal-Mart?

The big city (Grants Pass, population: 34,533) is 3.5 miles northwest
of me. It's in 1,642 sq. mi. Josephine County, population: 82,713.
Not exactly "big city" turf, is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grants_Pass (No, the statue is of my
other brother, Darrell.)

So, C_Less ... all this Libertarian ranting is just that, as long as
_you_ get to decide who does what?

If your neighbor has a constantly barking dog or teenage drummer, how
could you possibly feel that the neighbor wasn't infringing on your
right to a sane (aka: quiet) lifestyle? Libertarian ways allow you to
whack his peepee for it, which is only fair.

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
.... she just knew he had to be barking.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 9:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/3/12 6:53 AM, Leon wrote:
I can't say that the noise of any hen or rooster for that matter is any
worse than a barking dog. Yes I have been around both and you simply get
used to the noise.

How do you get used to a barking dog? Especially at 2am.

People who keep their dogs outside 24/7 and let them bark all night are
just inconsiderate and rude. And it has nothing to do with security...
those things cry wolf at all hours for every leaf that drops. They'd
probably *stop* barking if a thief showed up, because they'd think he
was going let them out of their pen.

Glad I got that off my chest. :-)

Now, go get them damn kids off your lawn, and a high colonic, you'll be
back to normal. g

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:
In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

You had a basset hound? *Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, wrote:
In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

You had a basset hound? *Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.

??

Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

The way things are going with the food supply in this country, you may
soon be wishing for something homegrown to eat:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035745_GM...es_Kansas.html

And while you snooze, the fox buys the henhouse:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Mo..._collapse.html

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:04:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

Maybe so, but my admittedly critical view of people is that if they
can get away with something, they will attempt to do so. Safety,
health or just plain cleanliness, however you want to label it, is
something that needs to be mandated and enforced. There's just too
many people who refuse to or can't be bothered to follow regulations.

Yup, I understand you're all about freedoms and liberty, one of the
foundations that the US (and North American society) is founded on.
Ideally, I support that viewpoint, but I also acknowledge that it *is*
an ideal viewpoint and not as directly applicable to our society at
large as you make it sound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 7:53 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:04:43 -0500, wrote:
Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

Maybe so, but

There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life
akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an
inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around
you.

Pity ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/3/2012 3:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

My last girlfriend had bunches of chickens. They occasionally got
noisy and interrupted our phone conversations. She had over a dozen
different types, but I never got their names. Some were checkerboard
(barred Ply Rocks?), had poofy hairdos (Polish or silkie?), and prolly
leghorns and regular Reds.

Limits, limits ... one cicada won't deafen you; a summer cast of
thousands will make you take out the ear plugs.

Just so you know, I have a 1/3 acre lot with one house on the east
side. North of it and me are 4+ acres of horse pasture and one barn.
To my west are 11+ acres of cattle grazing land. To my south is an
acre of orchard.

Whoa there, country boy ... how far to the closet Wal-Mart?

3.5 miles. It's the nearest store to my house. I'm covered! giggle

The big city (Grants Pass, population: 34,533) is 3.5 miles northwest
of me. It's in 1,642 sq. mi. Josephine County, population: 82,713.
Not exactly "big city" turf, is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grants_Pass (No, the statue is of my
other brother, Darrell.)

So, C_Less ... all this Libertarian ranting is just that, as long as
_you_ get to decide who does what?

If your neighbor has a constantly barking dog or teenage drummer, how
could you possibly feel that the neighbor wasn't infringing on your
right to a sane (aka: quiet) lifestyle? Libertarian ways allow you to
whack his peepee for it, which is only fair.

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

Lemme guess: Liberal? (No, silly, the lady.)

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, wrote:
In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

You had a basset hound? *Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.

??

Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

Yeah, they're good.

The way things are going with the food supply in this country, you may
soon be wishing for something homegrown to eat:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035745_GM...es_Kansas.html

As a prelude to cannibalism? (aka: Soylent Green)

And while you snooze, the fox buys the henhouse:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Mo..._collapse.html

Just what we need...

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

In any event, it's people I don't trust to be responsible if it came
down to hen ownership. *There*, I do have an understanding and
experience.

So, you punish them all, instead of just the irresponsible ones.

PUNISH? "Hey, she has chickens. Why can't I have a rhinoceros?"

You can have one as soon as Denny's serves their eggs on toast and KFC's
fries their drumsticks and thighs.

You forgot the Nike boots.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:58:51 -0500, Swingman wrote:
There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life
akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an
inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around
you.

Kind of an insulting comment Karl, but you're partially right. I
certainly have a cynical view of many things and I know it. It's not
from an inability to look past things, but from a sense of experience.
But (and it's my but to use not yours to dismiss) I do find enjoyment
in a number of things.

One of those things is the woodworking I do. It's limited in the fact
that I do it on a work bench in my living room. I'm unable to find an
accessible location near my home that I can share or rent to set up a
better workshop. That's the fly in the ointment since I've been
looking for some place for well over fifteen years.

I mention this on occasion mainly to remind people that I am looking
for some place should they happen to know of one. And, the fact that
I'm always looking demonstrates that I am able to look past the fray
for something better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 11:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, wrote:

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

Lemme guess: Liberal? (No, silly, the lady.)

The word hadn't been invented yet ..

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 May 2012 08:49:22 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/3/2012 11:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:47:59 -0500, wrote:

In college I had a totally deaf neighbor call the police on my basset
hound because of the way he was looking up in the tree in the back yard
... she just knew he had to be barking.

Lemme guess: Liberal? (No, silly, the lady.)

The word hadn't been invented yet ..

It was probably "Commie!" back then.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2012 2:19 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:58:51 -0500, wrote:

There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life
akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an
inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around
you.

Kind of an insulting comment Karl,

You mean like this (smiley or no):

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
You had a basset hound?*Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about*anyone* else.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/3/2012 7:53 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:04:43 -0500, wrote:
Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

Maybe so, but

There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life
akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an
inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around you.

Pity ...

The word "but" negates the assertion that precedes it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2012 1:23 PM, Dave Bslderstone wrote:
wrote:
On 5/3/2012 7:53 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:04:43 -0500, wrote:
Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

Maybe so, but

There are no "but"s, Dave. My condolences, it must be tough to live life
akin to a crowded rat, not from any sense of reason, but from an
inability to look past the fray and find a sense of joy in things around you.

Pity ...

The word "but" negates the assertion that precedes it.

Precisely why I said "no buts".

When did you change your name?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
You had a basset hound?*Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about*anyone* else.

I probably wouldn't have said it like that, but I understand where Dave is
coming from. Twice I've lived next to people in residential neighborhoods that
had Basset Hounds, and I'm convinced those dogs just aren't happy in that type
of environment. I almost lost my damned MIND with all the racket those dogs
made, and the owners NEVER had any consideration for how their continuous
barking affected their neighbors. Some breeds of dogs (and some breeds of
humans) just weren't meant to live in a suburban setting.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
You had a basset hound?*Now* I know why you support people having
chickens. You don't care about *anyone* else.

I probably wouldn't have said it like that, but I understand where Dave
is coming from. Twice I've lived next to people in residential
neighborhoods that had Basset Hounds, and I'm convinced those dogs just
aren't happy in that type of environment. I almost lost my damned MIND
with all the racket those dogs made, and the owners NEVER had any
consideration for how their continuous barking affected their neighbors.
Some breeds of dogs (and some breeds of humans) just weren't meant to
live in a suburban setting.

Like pit bulls don't all kill babies, Bassets aren't all nuisance
barkers. I've raised two Bassets and neither one of them had a barking
problem.

I'm not denying the propensity of certain breeds, but that is totally
irrelevant to the discussion at hand, except to say that running such
rabbit trails was something that particular Basset was damned good at.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2012 6:51 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Dogs are only as good as their masters. If they are trained properly
when pups and properly cared for as adults, they will behave.
Unfortunately, as with kids, most a-holes raise a-holes. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 May 2012 18:57:48 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Like pit bulls don't all kill babies, Bassets aren't all nuisance
barkers. I've raised two Bassets and neither one of them had a barking
problem.

Actually, I've never known anyone that had a basset hound. It was
(apparently to you) a poor attempt at humour which *should* have been
accepted as such because of the smiley two lines down.

You commented once before when I mistook one of your attempts at
humour as being serious. I suggest this time you go have a look in the
mirror.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, love to see friends and neighbors having hens. There is nothing
like fresh eggs that didn't come from chickens full of drugs.

The way things are going with the food supply in this country, you may
soon be wishing for something homegrown to eat:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035745_GM...es_Kansas.html

And while you snooze, the fox buys the henhouse:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Mo..._collapse.html

I don't think a lot of people realize how truly evil Monsanto is. I'm
lucky to live in a rural area with lots of farmers markets and access
to organic produce from the farm as well as grass fed beef. Eggs
available from neighbors.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
snip
When did you change your name?

When I installed Newstap on my iPhone a few days ago...