Posted to rec.woodworking
Dukes909

Default Shop cabinet doors

Is 1/2" ply overkill for the (flat) panels of some shop cabinet doors? I am
making these cabinets for practice mainly (and storage of course).

Cheers!
Duke

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Dukes909" wrote in message

Is 1/2" ply overkill for the (flat) panels of some shop cabinet doors? I

am
making these cabinets for practice mainly (and storage of course).

Cheers!
Duke

That depends on how long you want to stand on them before they break. If
you're just going to put them up like normal doors, then 1/4" is plenty
sufficient. 1/2" would certainly be overkill.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:39:45 -0600, "Dukes909"
wrote:

Is 1/2" ply overkill for the (flat) panels of some shop cabinet doors? I am
making these cabinets for practice mainly (and storage of course).

Cheers!
Duke

Yes. The flat panels float (or should) and do not provide much
additional strength. The frame provides the strength. Mine are all
1/4" and have held up fine.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

wrote:

Is 1/2" ply overkill for the (flat) panels of some shop cabinet doors? I am
making these cabinets for practice mainly (and storage of course).

Cheers!
Duke

Yes. The flat panels float (or should) and do not provide much
additional strength. The frame provides the strength. Mine are all
1/4" and have held up fine.

Plus if the frame is 3/4" thick a 1/2" groove doesn't leave enough
material. Then you end up having to rabbet all the edges of the
panels.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

wrote:

Is 1/2" ply overkill for the (flat) panels of some shop cabinet doors? I am
making these cabinets for practice mainly (and storage of course).

Cheers!
Duke

Usually 1/4" ply is adequate to keep dust and dirt out. Using 1/2"
ply works just as well, but this will add weight to your hinges and/or
may cause the door to sag.