Charlie Self

Default Why I Hate Garage Doors In A Shop

Got a reminder today. I had the engine crane out and was pulling the head off
my drill press. Almost at full extension when I got it off, with the garage
door closed. Without thinking, I decided to open the door so I could wheel the
crane and DP head outdoors. Yeah, right, as one granddaughter loves to say.

The opening door caught a panel on the upraised end of the crane, tipping it.
My wife tried to close the door so I could release the damned thing, but
instead the opener did its usual up and down dither, tipping the crane into the
shop. It missed me, for which I am grateful since I was standing where I
shouldn't have been (inside the crane legs). Dropped the DP head onto my Shop
Fox benchtop mortiser also sitting there waiting to be loaded this evening. And
the lawnmower. Missed my router table.

A PITA to pull the mess apart, but we did it, I stood the crane up and it was
mostly unhurt (one clevis pin bent), and the mortiser appears OK, except for a
bent depth gauge rod. Knocked one lawnmower wheel out of adjustment.

Basically, that loss of ceiling height as a garage door opens is why I
installed a sliding door on my Bedford shop. Here, I simply forgot about the
clearance difference. Fortunately, no real damage to anything but my wife's
nerves...she was afraid the crane arm would nail my head, which is
slightly--not much--softer than mild steel. I was too busy to worry about it.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Mark Wells

I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

Mark

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
[...]

Dunne E. Dawe

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:16:09 GMT, "Mark Wells"
posted:

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

Make them strong enough and restrain them so that they can withstand
strong winds.
SawEyes

[...]

Yikes! Good to hear no one was seriously injured.
Put in a lotto ticket

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides
- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set
- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw
- Triton Powered Respirator
- Veritas Power Tool Guide
- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

Roy Smith

"Mark Wells" wrote:
I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

My garage (which isn't my shop, but then again, it's not really my
garage either; it's more like a random storage area) has swing-out
doors. Two doors, each almost 4 feet wide. There are a few problems.

1) They're old, and sagging badly. When I bought the house (about 4
years ago), I managed to get the worse one pretty straight and then
applied a mess of 1x3 diagonals to hold it in shape. The other door was
a bit better, and only scrapes the outer corner a little bit. Building
replacements is on my "to do" list of projects. I'll get to it someday
(yeah, right, as Charlie's grand-daughter might say).

2) Since they open out, you can't open them if there's anything in the
way. Consider the following. It's early winter and an unexpected
snowstorm has dropped 8 inches of snow on your driveway. Your two
snowshovels are still inside the garage, behind the out-swinging doors.
You need the shovels to clear the driveway so you can open the doors so
you can get the shovels. It's things like this that keep snowshovel
manufacturers in business :-)

Gary

[...]

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm glad damages and injuries were
minimal. Hearing what just happened to you and seeing photo after photo of
over crowded shops, it seems we all naturally overlook a significant safety
factor, that being trying to cram too much stuff in too little space. We
all know setting up a woodshop tools and equipment is very expensive, which
costs we are willing to bare (or is that bear?), but not the cost of
building an adequate space to put it in. Maybe there should be a minimal
square footage standard for every piece of workshop equipment. Glad you're
doing ok.

Gary

Bill Rogers

wrote:

I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

Why not consider putting the lights (fluorescent?) on the walls a bit
lower than the door when open? Light tends to travel in all
directions. You might even have "these and those" lights optionally
with two switches.

Bill.

Charlie Self

Mark Wells asks:

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

I did sliding doors, as in track above the exterior opening type. A PITA to
seal in winter, but otherwise great. Slam 'em right back out of the way and
there's a 7' 10" space that is also about 7'8" tall. Doors are each 4' x 8'. My
smaller door is a swinger, using barn door hinges, and is 48" x 8', leaving a
46" x 94" opening. I made the doors for each, using 2x4 frames with a central X
support, foam insulation, 1/2" plywood (Exterior) and stainless steel screws
from McFeely's. They are heavy as all get out, but will easily outlast me.

It really shouldn't be a whole lot more trouble to make a two door opening,
with doors of any width you like. Use the biggest (12" or 14") Stanley Lifetime
barn door hinges you can find, at least 3 per door.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Charlie Self

Roy Smith writes:

2) Since they open out, you can't open them if there's anything in the
way. Consider the following. It's early winter and an unexpected
snowstorm has dropped 8 inches of snow on your driveway. Your two
snowshovels are still inside the garage, behind the out-swinging doors.
You need the shovels to clear the driveway so you can open the doors so
you can get the shovels. It's things like this that keep snowshovel
manufacturers in business :-

I know about that. My swinging door opens out, but is up 2 steps off my little
brick patio (the fanciest touch on the shop). But one bigger advantage: The
opened door takes up NO wall space in the shop. Got a buddy who has doors that
open in and they eat enough space that I'd guess they're going to be replaced
in the next year or so. But all his doors are up a couple steps or more. In our
area of Virginia, that's enough.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Charlie Self

SawEyes notes:

Yikes! Good to hear no one was seriously injured.
Put in a lotto ticket

I'm glad no one got hurt either, particularly since I was the only one within
range. I hate it when I get hurt because of stupidity, especially my own.

Thanks for the idea on lotto. I'll do a quick check on Powerball to see where
that stands.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Charlie Self

Gary responds:

Hearing what just happened to you and seeing photo after photo of
over crowded shops, it seems we all naturally overlook a significant safety
factor, that being trying to cram too much stuff in too little space. We
all know setting up a woodshop tools and equipment is very expensive, which
costs we are willing to bare (or is that bear?), but not the cost of
building an adequate space to put it in. Maybe there should be a minimal
square footage standard for every piece of workshop equipment.

Yeah, well...this is a garage, not a real workshop. And, oddly enough, it has
very few tools in it right now. Most of the stuff is down in Bedford awaiting
my move. It was a matter of positioning, rather than a matter of overcrowding.
Stuff is shifted towards the door so it can more easily be lifted into a cargo
van tonight and tomorrow.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Todd Fatheree

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
link.net...
I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks

the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors.

Has
anybody done that?

Mark

When I built my shed, I installed a 7-foot steel door that rolls up above
the top of the door. I don't know if there is something along those lines
that is a) large enough and b) suitable for a garage.

todd

Dave Balderstone

In article , Charlie Self
wrote:

I'm glad no one got hurt either, particularly since I was the only one within
range. I hate it when I get hurt because of stupidity, especially my own.

Lessons learned with only damage to inanimate objects are my favorite
kind.

Glad you're okay.

djb
Grant P. Beagles

I'm laughing with you, not at you! I dumped the carcass of a large dresser that I
am building for SWMBO onto my table saw the same way. The saw was unhurt, but
there is a big dent in an edge (a front edge of course) of the dresser.

Grant

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

Charlie Self

Grant Beagle responds:

'm laughing with you, not at you! I dumped the carcass of a large dresser
that I
am building for SWMBO onto my table saw the same way. The saw was unhurt,
but
there is a big dent in an edge (a front edge of course) of the dresser.

Always the front edge. I've got a small letter box that proves that rule. It is
the only project where a screw-up is on the back edge. Everything else that
I've screwed up has been wildly obvious--at least to me.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Gary

"Grant P. Beagles" wrote in
message RCIAL...

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

"Bread always falls butter side down."

Charlie Self

Gary responds:

"Bread always falls butter side down."

Reminds me of repairing a whole house fan I had in the shop. Had the motor in
my hand, foot slipped on a joist, motor zipped on through the louvers. Where
did it light? Right on my Unifence, of course.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Bob Schmall

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
SawEyes notes:

Yikes! Good to hear no one was seriously injured.
Put in a lotto ticket

I'm glad no one got hurt either, particularly since I was the only one

within
range. I hate it when I get hurt because of stupidity, especially my own.

I'm runnin' out of scar tissue.
Glad you're OK, Charlie.

Bob
BTW, the Barzun quote is a keeper, so I kept it.

Werlax

Charlie Self wrote:

Always the front edge. I've got a small letter box that proves that
rule. It is the only project where a screw-up is on the back edge.
Everything else that I've screwed up has been wildly obvious--at
least to me.

Yep, I've had brads come out about 1/32" past the front of a cabinet door.
You can quickly find them by running your hand over a project to check for
smoothness.
I've got a large supply of craft paints so I sanded the thing down and
touched it with a paint to match before sealing. I'm not sure if it was the
best method, but it worked. I don't know how long that will hold up,
though.

Mark

Mark Wells wrote:

I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

I did on the garage end of the shop, its 12' wide. It opens to the inside.

The garage is pole construction. The door is a bi-fold with gate hinges at the
poles and 3 standard door hinges for the folds. I have a caster at the folds
which carries most of the doors weight with the door closed and open. The lock
is a 2x6 dropped into lugs. I can park a small truck 'uncomfortable to walk
through' close to the door.

It's not for everyone, SWMBO likes it. She's the fiscally responsible one, a
couple hundred to build this door, or buy one where prices start at $1000 for a
decent door.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is.

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

George

How about track lighting? I mean lights on a track with a pull cord that
brings them in when the door's open, pulls them out when closed. I've got
the clearance for a swing arm, with no drop ceiling but I daresay a track
would do.

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
link.net...
I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks

the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors.

Has
anybody done that?

Mark

Rob Stokes

Glad you're OK Charlie...machinery can be replaced....

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

[...]

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door because of
clearance issues. That means that whenever the door is open, it blocks the
lights so the last 25% of the shop is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

Mark

If you're not using it as a garage, you can do what I did and just
replace the whole door with a pair of french doors and either a side window
or wall.

.... snip
Jim Akins

That's why I installed a roll-up door when I built my shop, 300$ at the Borg
for 8' x 7'. Easy to install and only extends into the shop 18" or so. Jim
A.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Gary wrote:

"Bread always falls butter side down."

The formal statement of _The_Law_of_Perverse Statistics_ is:

"The probability of the bread falling butter-side down
is inversely proportional to the value of the carpet."

Mark Hopkins

Unless it is strapped to the back of a cat....
grin

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
rvers.com...
In article ,
Gary wrote:

"Bread always falls butter side down."

The formal statement of _The_Law_of_Perverse Statistics_ is:

"The probability of the bread falling butter-side down
is inversely proportional to the value of the carpet."

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Mark Hopkins wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
Gary wrote:

"Bread always falls butter side down."

The formal statement of _The_Law_of_Perverse Statistics_ is:

"The probability of the bread falling butter-side down
is inversely proportional to the value of the carpet."

Unless it is strapped to the back of a cat....
grin

EVEN IF the Law of Perverse Statistics is strapped to the back of a cat,
it still reads the same. muffled guffaw

As for the other scenario, I'll just suggest that the "Harvard Law of
Sociological Research" applies:

'Under the most rigorously controlled conditions
of temperature, pressure, and humidity,
the organism will do as it d*mn well pleases.'

Morris Dovey

Mark Wells wrote:

I agree. I had to mount the lights in my shop above the door
because of clearance issues. That means that whenever the
door is open, it blocks the lights so the last 25% of the shop
is dark.

I have considered replacing the garage door with large
swinging doors. Has anybody done that?

An alternative (I don't have swinging doors - but have heard that
they can be a real PIA) is to split the door the other way and
hinge it at top and center.

I'll post a picture of my shop door on ABPW. I think it's a
scalable (simple) solution to the problem...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA