Charlie Self

Default Why I Hate Garage Doors In A Shop

Mark Wells asks:

I have considered replacing the garage door with large swinging doors. Has
anybody done that?

I did sliding doors, as in track above the exterior opening type. A PITA to
seal in winter, but otherwise great. Slam 'em right back out of the way and
there's a 7' 10" space that is also about 7'8" tall. Doors are each 4' x 8'. My
smaller door is a swinger, using barn door hinges, and is 48" x 8', leaving a
46" x 94" opening. I made the doors for each, using 2x4 frames with a central X
support, foam insulation, 1/2" plywood (Exterior) and stainless steel screws
from McFeely's. They are heavy as all get out, but will easily outlast me.

It really shouldn't be a whole lot more trouble to make a two door opening,
with doors of any width you like. Use the biggest (12" or 14") Stanley Lifetime
barn door hinges you can find, at least 3 per door.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun