Gary

Default Why I Hate Garage Doors In A Shop

"Grant P. Beagles" wrote in
message RCIAL...
I'm laughing with you, not at you! I dumped the carcass of a large

dresser that I
am building for SWMBO onto my table saw the same way. The saw was unhurt,

but
there is a big dent in an edge (a front edge of course) of the dresser.

Grant

Charlie Self wrote:

Got a reminder today. I had the engine crane out and was pulling the

head off
my drill press. Almost at full extension when I got it off, with the

garage
door closed. Without thinking, I decided to open the door so I could

wheel the
crane and DP head outdoors. Yeah, right, as one granddaughter loves to

say.

The opening door caught a panel on the upraised end of the crane,

tipping it.
My wife tried to close the door so I could release the damned thing, but
instead the opener did its usual up and down dither, tipping the crane

into the
shop. It missed me, for which I am grateful since I was standing where I
shouldn't have been (inside the crane legs). Dropped the DP head onto my

Shop
Fox benchtop mortiser also sitting there waiting to be loaded this

evening. And
the lawnmower. Missed my router table.

A PITA to pull the mess apart, but we did it, I stood the crane up and

it was
mostly unhurt (one clevis pin bent), and the mortiser appears OK, except

for a
bent depth gauge rod. Knocked one lawnmower wheel out of adjustment.

Basically, that loss of ceiling height as a garage door opens is why I
installed a sliding door on my Bedford shop. Here, I simply forgot about

the
clearance difference. Fortunately, no real damage to anything but my

wife's
nerves...she was afraid the crane arm would nail my head, which is
slightly--not much--softer than mild steel. I was too busy to worry

about it.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in

the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

"Bread always falls butter side down."