Charlie Self

Default Why I Hate Garage Doors In A Shop

Roy Smith writes:

2) Since they open out, you can't open them if there's anything in the
way. Consider the following. It's early winter and an unexpected
snowstorm has dropped 8 inches of snow on your driveway. Your two
snowshovels are still inside the garage, behind the out-swinging doors.
You need the shovels to clear the driveway so you can open the doors so
you can get the shovels. It's things like this that keep snowshovel
manufacturers in business :-

I know about that. My swinging door opens out, but is up 2 steps off my little
brick patio (the fanciest touch on the shop). But one bigger advantage: The
opened door takes up NO wall space in the shop. Got a buddy who has doors that
open in and they eat enough space that I'd guess they're going to be replaced
in the next year or so. But all his doors are up a couple steps or more. In our
area of Virginia, that's enough.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun