Posted to rec.woodworking
Marco Nicosia

Default How much to pay for cabinet shop cuts?

Hi all,

I've got a mini-gloat and a question.

I don't have a shop setup right now, so I can't make much these
days. A lot of the furniture in our house is pretty ghetto.

Normally, I'd hardly ever buy any furniture at IKEA. But I was there
during their sale, and whoa, I found this oak table:

http://tinyurl.com/l8cg5

For $200! Finally, a table which can seat all of our guests when
we have a lot of people over for dinner. No more tiny ghetto table!

But gloat-karma wouldn't let me get away with such a simple plan.
A table that's almost 7' long is stupid big for daily use. It pretty
much dominates the room (duh).

But I am a tight-fisted guy, and not willing to give up so easily
on my hard-won (ok, accidental) windfall.

Issue #182 of FWW gave me the idea that I could have a cabinet shop
cut two 12" leaves out of the tabletop and aprons. Then I could
install table slides and alignment pins from Rockler. (The table
top is a glue-up sort of random-plank, not a solid cut of oak, so
I'm not too concerned about wood movement?)

How much should I expect to pay the cabinet shop? What's a fair price?

Marco E. Nicosia | http://www.escape.org/~marco/ |

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"John L. Poole" wrote in message

How much should I expect to pay the cabinet shop? What's a fair price?

$29.99

The Sunday paper had a $2 off coupon

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"John L. Poole" wrote in message

How much should I expect to pay the cabinet shop? What's a fair price?

$29.99

The Sunday paper had a $2 off coupon

That was last Sunday's and it expired the week before.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:38:33 GMT, (Marco Nicosia) wrote:

Not seeing the table, I'd wonder if you might be hurting it structurally by
cutting it... a lot of tables with 2 or more leaves sometimes have additional
legs...

(we ended up with my parents dining room table.. 8 legs and no place for
chairs/feet)

[...]

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Marco Nicosia wrote:
But gloat-karma wouldn't let me get away with such a simple plan.
A table that's almost 7' long is stupid big for daily use. It pretty
much dominates the room (duh).

But I am a tight-fisted guy, and not willing to give up so easily
on my hard-won (ok, accidental) windfall.

Issue #182 of FWW gave me the idea that I could have a cabinet shop
cut two 12" leaves out of the tabletop and aprons. Then I could
install table slides and alignment pins from Rockler. (The table
top is a glue-up sort of random-plank, not a solid cut of oak, so
I'm not too concerned about wood movement?)

How much should I expect to pay the cabinet shop? What's a fair price?

I think this is a bad idea. Your table will likely end up looking like
crap if you cut it up like this. It isn't likely that a cabinent shop
would even take this job.. because they don't want you complaining
about how they ruined your table. If you find someone willing to do
this, expect them to clamp a straight edge to the table and cut it with
a circular saw.

My advice, either learn to live with this big table or buy one with
leaves in it..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Marco Nicosia wrote:

Issue #182 of FWW gave me the idea that I could have a cabinet shop
cut two 12" leaves out of the tabletop and aprons. Then I could
install table slides and alignment pins from Rockler. (The table
top is a glue-up sort of random-plank, not a solid cut of oak, so
I'm not too concerned about wood movement?)

For what it's worth, I think it's definately possible to do what you're
considering. You shouldn't lose much strength from cutting the aprons,
as the slides essentially make up for it. Just make sure you don't get
the slides designed for pedastal tables.

You may want to make your leaves a bit larger--taking 24" out of that
table still leaves it 5' long. Maybe 18" leaves would be better?

Have you considered where you're going to store the leaves when you're
not using them?

Chris