Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default How much to pay for cabinet shop cuts?

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:38:33 GMT, (Marco Nicosia) wrote:

Not seeing the table, I'd wonder if you might be hurting it structurally by
cutting it... a lot of tables with 2 or more leaves sometimes have additional
legs...

(we ended up with my parents dining room table.. 8 legs and no place for
chairs/feet)

Hi all,

I've got a mini-gloat and a question.

I don't have a shop setup right now, so I can't make much these
days. A lot of the furniture in our house is pretty ghetto.

Normally, I'd hardly ever buy any furniture at IKEA. But I was there
during their sale, and whoa, I found this oak table:

http://tinyurl.com/l8cg5

For $200! Finally, a table which can seat all of our guests when
we have a lot of people over for dinner. No more tiny ghetto table!

But gloat-karma wouldn't let me get away with such a simple plan.
A table that's almost 7' long is stupid big for daily use. It pretty
much dominates the room (duh).

But I am a tight-fisted guy, and not willing to give up so easily
on my hard-won (ok, accidental) windfall.

Issue #182 of FWW gave me the idea that I could have a cabinet shop
cut two 12" leaves out of the tabletop and aprons. Then I could
install table slides and alignment pins from Rockler. (The table
top is a glue-up sort of random-plank, not a solid cut of oak, so
I'm not too concerned about wood movement?)

How much should I expect to pay the cabinet shop? What's a fair price?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis