Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Lowes & HD in my area have carried at least a
small group of "combo" head screws for the last
several years.

These boys are going to have almost "any" screw
you want and they will be right there with Lowes
or HD in price.

The current offer is $1.00 shipping to the lower 48 states on any order:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/

On 1/17/2012 10:48 AM, woodchuck wrote:

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out
more?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 12:25*pm, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. * No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. *Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. *I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? * Do I need to get out
more?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612...ad-Wood-Screws

1,000 for $21.85
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 12:02*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 17, 12:25*pm, woodchuck wrote:

My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. * No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. *Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. *I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? * Do I need to get out
more?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612...nplated-Steel-...

1,000 for $21.85

Yeah.. shipping costs are the killer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 11:25 AM, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out
more?

I will second Mcfeeleys screw. Unfortunately they will be higher
quality that what you are looking for but will most likely be
considerably less expensive that what you are buying now. Buy in lots
of at least 100 at a time. Basically their average woodworking screw is
5 cents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchuck wrote the following:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

Did you ask anyone at the store?

Did you google -
Home Depot square head drive screws
or
Lowes square head drive screws
I did, and found them at both stores.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 12:30*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

I have looked in the store itself. Online they show, but the are not
in the stores. I suppose I could ask if they can get them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:25:53 -0800 (PST), woodchuck
wrote:

My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out
more?

They probably switched over to the combo screws.
http://goo.gl/lOiJf lots to choose from.
http://goo.gl/pYoCt 1-5/8" only

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 9:25*am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. * No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 9:25 am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws? They are what I use for deck screws... far
superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you don't
get the bit fully seated.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm looking for a low-cost screw -- not a deck screw. Just a basic
drywall type screw with square drive.

The deck screws are much too expensive for what I need -- just a
general purpose ww screw.

I will check the McFeely's $1 shipping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 4:36*am, Pat Barber wrote:
Lowes & HD in my area have carried at least a
small group of "combo" head screws for the last
several years.

These boys are going to have almost "any" screw
you want and they will be right there with Lowes
or HD in price.

The current offer is $1.00 shipping to the lower 48 states on any order:http://www.mcfeelys.com/

On 1/17/2012 10:48 AM, woodchuck wrote:

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. *Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. *I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? * Do I need to get out
more?

Mcfeely's --- what are there general purpose woodworking screws?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 1:27 PM, woodchuck wrote:
On Jan 17, 12:02 pm, Limp wrote:
On Jan 17, 12:25 pm, wrote:

My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am
I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out
more?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612...nplated-Steel-...

1,000 for $21.85

Yeah.. shipping costs are the killer.

Yeah,,, Right now it is one dollar. And, they will probably be there in
a day if you order early enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you mean Torx head screws? *They are what I use for deck screws... far
superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you don't
get the bit fully seated.

John

Yeah, prob torx. I just never track nomenclature that closely. Looks
like a start or asterick so I call it a star.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:36:59 -0800, Pat Barber
wrote:

Lowes & HD in my area have carried at least a
small group of "combo" head screws for the last
several years.

These boys are going to have almost "any" screw
you want and they will be right there with Lowes
or HD in price.

The current offer is $1.00 shipping to the lower 48 states on any order:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/

On 1/17/2012 10:48 AM, woodchuck wrote:

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am
I dreaming?

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are
VERY common up here. Used to be they werer all Canadian made quality
stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get
south of the lakes.

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do,
I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around
18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Head north.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out
more?

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 9:25 am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws?

They're not Torx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
Square bits are square http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/718serie.htm

They are what I use for deck screws...
far superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you
don't get the bit fully seated.

John

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah but....

They always try to push off square drive screws and bits a Robertson.

If it has a number size it ain't "Robertson".
Robertson has a Morse taper on the socket and it sticks to the driver
and falls into the socket easily. Driver size match isn't critical for
a tight fit.

----------

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 9:25 am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws?

They're not Torx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
Square bits are square http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/718serie.htm

The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight
slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers
and I use them all!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got some drivers for Torx and have turned a total of about 5 of them
in my life.
OTOH: I bet you don't have a Robertson driver bit and never see one of
those screws either.

---------
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan,
straight
slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my
drivers
and I use them all!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"m II" wrote in message
I got some drivers for Torx and have turned a total of about 5 of them in
my life.
OTOH: I bet you don't have a Robertson driver bit and never see one of
those screws either.

---------
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight
slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers
and I use them all!

John

If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and numbered
bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various
places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were numbered
but I may have worn them out!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Coloured handles only. Robertson never had a #2 bit.

(notice that "u" in "colored"? We added it to resolve the "n" word
problem"

I been developing two sets lately. A set for the workshop and a set for
lazy me when I don't feel like the 3m trek across the snow.

-----------
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and
numbered
bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various
places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were
numbered
but I may have worn them out!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:42:34 -0500, willshak
wrote:

[...]

The are, officially, called ROBERTSON socket drive screws, or
SCRULOX. It was invented in Canada - so, Americans being as xenophobic
as they have been over the decades, it never really took hold in the
USA.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:53:31 -0500, "m II" wrote:

I got some drivers for Torx and have turned a total of about 5 of them
in my life.
OTOH: I bet you don't have a Robertson driver bit and never see one of
those screws either.

---------
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan,
straight
slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my
drivers
and I use them all!

John

I've likely got 10 or 12 - and I've used them all - a LOT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:11:06 -0500, "m II" wrote:

Coloured handles only. Robertson never had a #2 bit.

Yeller, green, red and black are the 4 common ones,

(notice that "u" in "colored"? We added it to resolve the "n" word
problem"

I been developing two sets lately. A set for the workshop and a set for
lazy me when I don't feel like the 3m trek across the snow.

-----------
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
om...
If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and
numbered
bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various
places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were
numbered
but I may have worn them out!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 2:22 PM, kansascats wrote:
I'm looking for a low-cost screw -- not a deck screw. Just a basic
drywall type screw with square drive.

The deck screws are much too expensive for what I need -- just a
general purpose ww screw.

I will check the McFeely's $1 shipping.

A drywall screw is NOT a general purpose WW screw. They are are much
too light weight and brittle. Yes dry wall are marginally better than
the cheesy screws that come in those 70 cent packages but many times
less desirable than actual square drive wood screws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Scrulox is an 8 point star. Torx is a six point star. The ones that
Lowes and Home Depot sell are Torx.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw.

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the
screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me
wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing
differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.

Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an
impact/driver drill?

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is usually the American and oriental sources cloned squarehead
screws on a Robertson screwdriver infiltrated into the Canadian market
as the same style to unknowing customers. The square socket has a sharp
ridge around the socket at the entrance end and cuts into the taper of
the driver. When styles match the locking together doesn't happen.

----------------
"Leon" wrote in message

The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I
wish
and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting
drawer slides and or supports.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote the following:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw.

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the
screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me
wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing
differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.

Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an
impact/driver drill?

Well, I know what clare is saying. A few years ago I replaced all the
wood fencing on my property line with vinyl fencing using white painted
aluminum square drive screws. Yes, I used the magnetic drill extension
because I might have to change from screwing to drilling.
I was using a Ryobi 18 volt power screwdriver. The Ryobi had a magnetic
plate on the base where I could hold the drive bit or the screwdriver
bit until needed. Sometimes the bit stuck in the square drive screw as I
pulled the magnetic driver extension away. Other times, the bit fell
from the extension, or the screw head, into the grass and I had to
search for it, a few times unsuccessfully. I realize that the painted
screw heads likely caused the bit to stick. Even with all that, I would
still use the square drive screws in exterior work where available.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote the following:
Dave wrote the following:
[...]

I misspelled 'drill bit'.

or the screwdriver
bit until needed. Sometimes the bit stuck in the square drive screw as I
pulled the magnetic driver extension away. Other times, the bit fell
from the extension, or the screw head, into the grass and I had to
search for it, a few times unsuccessfully. I realize that the painted
screw heads likely caused the bit to stick. Even with all that, I would
still use the square drive screws in exterior work where available.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 8:26 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw.

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the
screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me
wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing
differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.

Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an
impact/driver drill?

I don't use magnetic bit holders, the bits chuck mechanically into
either the impact or drill chuck, and lately the Snappy Quick release chuck.

Now I may have misspoken, I was referring to screws that fit the bit
tightly enough that you don't have to worry about them falling off. I
often have this problem with square v.s combo screws from McFeeleys and
Kreg.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 11:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2012 8:26 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to work
it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several
screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.

Now having said that I have been using square drive screws for probably
25+ years exclusively except when they are not available. I have no
intention of switching.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 9:20*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Do you mean Torx head screws? *They are what I use for deck screws.... far
superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you
don't
get the bit fully seated.

He probably means "Robertson."

No... the post I responded to talked about "star head" screws... Everyone is
taking this out of context as they didn't follow the thread!

John

Why bother reading what was actually posted when you shoot off your
mouth with opinion and no facts. Hey, works for most of my posts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/17/2012 9:06 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:46:16 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:04:54 -0500,
wrote:

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are
VERY common up here. Used to be they were all Canadian made quality
stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get
south of the lakes.

Naturally we've know that because Robertson was Canadian. One of the
advantages of Robertson screws is that the square drive gives extra
holding power which permits more torque on the screws. And if you're
adding more torque, then you don't want a cheap version of the screw
that might snap off. ~ Nothing more irritating. That is the biggest
reason to buy better quality when it comes to square drive screws.

The BEAUTY of a robertson screw is you can stick the screw on the
driver - point it vertually ANYWHERE and not worry about loosing the
screw when you try to start it - even into sheet metal or wood with no
pilot hole drilled. Makes it's own awl.

The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I wish
and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting
drawer slides and or supports.

Then you don't have a good robertson bit. Never had a problem getting
the bit out of the head - or keeping it in when i wanted it in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 5:52 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Where would one get a good Robertson bit? I get mine from McFeeleys and
Kreg.