Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 9:25 am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws?

They're not Torx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
Square bits are square http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/718serie.htm

The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight
slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers
and I use them all!

John