Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Dave wrote the following:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on
the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the
drill and bit off of the screw.

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the
screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me
wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing
differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.

Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an
impact/driver drill?

Well, I know what clare is saying. A few years ago I replaced all the
wood fencing on my property line with vinyl fencing using white painted
aluminum square drive screws. Yes, I used the magnetic drill extension
because I might have to change from screwing to drilling.
I was using a Ryobi 18 volt power screwdriver. The Ryobi had a magnetic
plate on the base where I could hold the drive bit or the screwdriver
bit until needed. Sometimes the bit stuck in the square drive screw as I
pulled the magnetic driver extension away. Other times, the bit fell
from the extension, or the screw head, into the grass and I had to
search for it, a few times unsuccessfully. I realize that the painted
screw heads likely caused the bit to stick. Even with all that, I would
still use the square drive screws in exterior work where available.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY