Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:42:34 -0500, willshak
wrote:

John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 9:25 am, woodchuck wrote:
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square
drive. No longer.

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one
extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own
space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver
(a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which
can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the
drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws?

They're not Torx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
Square bits are square http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/718serie.htm

They are what I use for deck screws...
far superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you
don't get the bit fully seated.

John

The are, officially, called ROBERTSON socket drive screws, or
SCRULOX. It was invented in Canada - so, Americans being as xenophobic
as they have been over the decades, it never really took hold in the
USA.