Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air compressor recommendations

I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking
125 PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any
specific recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 25, 5:56*pm, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. *I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. *So I don't want to invest big bucks. *I'm thinking
125 PSI will be all that I need. *I've heard I should go oiless. *Any
specific recommendations? *Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

I would ~not~ go oiless. Oiled compressors last way longer. There are
people that love HF. I try to buy brand name. Your call Sir. I have
Bostich and Emglo. There's lots more out there.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 25, 5:29*pm, RP wrote:

I would ~not~ go oiless. Oiled compressors last way longer. There are
people that love HF. I try to buy brand name. Your call Sir. I have
Bostich and Emglo. There's lots more out there.

RP

I'll second RP on oiless. They wear faster and are noisy (none of
them are quiet, but some oiless remind me of scratching fingernails on
a blackboard).

I have had two Campbell Hausfelds (sp) during the past 30 years and
have been very happy. That said, I have also seen some pretty good
comments on HF compressors.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 5:29 pm, RP wrote:

I would ~not~ go oiless. Oiled compressors last way longer. There are
people that love HF. I try to buy brand name. Your call Sir. I have
Bostich and Emglo. There's lots more out there.

RP

I'll second RP on oiless. They wear faster and are noisy (none of
them are quiet, but some oiless remind me of scratching fingernails on
a blackboard).

nailing a few brads twice a month he will be just fine with oil-less. Go
for light weight and low price in this case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:33:35 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:
nailing a few brads twice a month he will be just fine with oil-less. Go
for light weight and low price in this case.

Have to agree here. I'm just in the process of buying a Senco PC1010
compressor. Small and really quiet. Great for carrying around if you
need to. It will attain 125 psi which is great for those few brads a
month as Ed phrased it. About $125 in the US, almost twice that in
Canada, but you can find a few US companies what will ship up here. At
20 pounds weight, it won't destroy the shipping budget to get them
sent to CA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2011 2:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking 125
PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any specific
recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

the little porter cable pancake compressors will more than fill the bill
for what you want to do.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing,
once or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm
thinking 125 PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go
oiless. Any specific recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

I am no fan of oiless. Too much noise and they are junk in my opinion. The
HF models of oil fill compressors are well worth the small investement
though. My son paid just under $100 for a small horizontal tank style
compressor and has used the hell out of it - and it's still just going
strong. Might fit your needs very well. BTW - they will all do 125PSI.
That's not the rating you should be looking at. You should be looking at
SCFM delivery rates - which will define what tools you can expect to support
off of it. For what you've outlined above - anything will work. If you are
thinking of other future uses - well then maybe you want to elaborate a bit
on that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking
125 PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any
specific recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

I once had a HF oilless compressor. Loud, but I kept in in a separate
room in my shop. Then a part failed. It was a non-standard part (the
capacitor, which had to fit in an unusual place). I ordered the part
from HF and it took over 3 months to get it as HF did not stock it and
it had to come from China.
When I got it up and running I sold it.
--
Gerald Ross

No amount of genius can overcome a
preoccupation with detail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2011 4:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking 125
PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any specific
recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

Oilless these days are much better than they used to be.

Having said that,

They are noisier than a oil compressor and mostly because they run
faster. Annoyingly noisy. If you ever would consider painting there
is more chance of an oil unit adding oil to your mix. Oilless will not
last as long, all things being equal. 125 psi will run most anything
tool that you want to use.
Nail guns are very low volume users so the size of the compressor does
not matter. BUT once you have a compressor at you immediate disposal
you tend to add more tools to be used with the compressor. So keep in
mind that a larger volume CFM unit will work out better. Try to buy a
compressor with the CFM specs to match a tool that you might consider
buying in the future.

Also keep in mind that if you buy cheap it will most likely fail sooner
than later and once you have a compressor you never want to be with out
a compressor. So do you buy better and cry once or buy cheap and cry twice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry,

I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking
125 PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any
specific recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

I have a 4 gallon, twin tank, oil less, Porter Cable compressor that has
served me well for over 11 years. We initially bought it to run a framing
nailer and roofing nailer when we built our garage. We also used it to
build our house a couple years later. I use it frequently for woodworking
and remodeling projects to power a variety of finish nailers and brad
nailers.

It is perfect for running nailers, but not so much for high volume tasks
like airing up tires. I can fill up a car tire, but the compressor kicks on
quickly and runs constantly till I am done. It's OK for short random tasks
like that, but I wouldn't want to run it that way for long periods (paint
spraying, air tools, etc.)

The Porter Cable is quite loud when the compressor is running, but it
doesn't run much when using nailers as they have low air requirements.

I would like to have a larger compressor that could handle a paint sprayer,
but that would require a lot more space than my little Porter Cable needs.
For the same money, I would probably buy a dedicated HVLP sprayer that
would use less space. Then again, I don't use any air tools like wrenches,
grinders, cutoff wheels, or that sort of thing.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 25, 9:33*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

nailing a few brads twice a month he will be just fine with oil-less. *Go
for light weight and low price in this case.

Good point. For occasional use, oiless probably doesn't matter that
much. You might also keep your eyes open for combo packages. There
are a lot of good deals with small compressors matched with one or two
nailers and other accessories. Even if you have a nail gun now it
doesn't hurt to have a back-up or another size. Some of these package
include accessories for about the cost of the compressor.

They want to sell nails in the future.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

*snip*

Also keep in mind that if you buy cheap it will most likely fail
sooner than later and once you have a compressor you never want to be
with out a compressor. So do you buy better and cry once or buy cheap
and cry twice.

I'd consider buying two: A small portable unit (easier to run an extension
cord than an air hose) and a large more powerful unit.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Then again, I don't
use any air tools like wrenches, grinders, cutoff wheels, or that
sort of thing.

Say WHAT??? Blasphemy...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:56:41 -0500, Gramp's shop
wrote:

I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking
125 PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any
specific recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

I've have a small HF pancake compressor that I use for running
framing, finish, brad and pin nailers at various job sites. It's
about five years old and gets used often. It's an older model similar
to:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

I think I paid $39.99 after the sale price coupled with discount
coupons. I'd buy another one when this one fails.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2011 10:30 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

*snip*

Also keep in mind that if you buy cheap it will most likely fail
sooner than later and once you have a compressor you never want to be
with out a compressor. So do you buy better and cry once or buy cheap
and cry twice.

I'd consider buying two: A small portable unit (easier to run an extension
cord than an air hose) and a large more powerful unit.

Puckdropper

Maybe, the farther from the electricity the heaver gauge extension cord
you have to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, friends, for the good counsel. I've selected a factory refurb
Porter-Cable, 6-gallon pancake compressor for $120. Good reviews and it
seems like it will meet my needs.

On 10/25/2011 4:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking 125
PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any specific
recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:32:26 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

Thanks, friends, for the good counsel. I've selected a factory refurb
Porter-Cable, 6-gallon pancake compressor for $120. Good reviews and it
seems like it will meet my needs.

I've have one of those (and a larger upright DeWalt) for five or six years.
It's plenty big enough to run any sort of nailer. As long as you don't want
to do something like spray paint with it, you'll be happy.

On 10/25/2011 4:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking 125
PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any specific
recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 00:54:02 -0400, Bill

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:32:26 -0500, Gramp's wrote:

Thanks, friends, for the good counsel. I've selected a factory refurb
Porter-Cable, 6-gallon pancake compressor for $120. Good reviews and it
seems like it will meet my needs.

I've have one of those (and a larger upright DeWalt) for five or six years.
It's plenty big enough to run any sort of nailer. As long as you don't want
to do something like spray paint with it, you'll be happy.

What is the minimum to spray paint (like for furniture)? Is it in the
neighborhood of 40# @ 7.2 CFM, or am I looking at the wrong sprayers?

Almost any compressor is capable of providing the pressure, but it
depends upon the quantity of spraying that you require which will
determine the needed compressor volume and storage.

To spray an entire automobile, you might need a 10CFM pump and an 80
gallon tank to be comfortable. Production shops need even more.

For a chair or a door, a 1CFM pump might do it with a 5 gallon tank
since the whole spray job would be done in under a minute.

For airbrushing, a much smaller pump and/or tank would do.

Your particular spray gun and required spraying time will determine
the proper storage and CFM requirements of your system.

Many of us get by with a 3-5CFM system and HVLP gun. Added storage
gives added spray time, so smaller systems can work.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Thank you. That is helpful.

For airbrushing, a much smaller pump and/or tank would do.

Your particular spray gun and required spraying time will determine
the proper storage and CFM requirements of your system.

Many of us get by with a 3-5CFM system and HVLP gun. Added storage
gives added spray time, so smaller systems can work.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2011 7:35 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:32:26 -0500, Gramp's wrote:
Thanks, friends, for the good counsel. I've selected a factory
refurb Porter-Cable, 6-gallon pancake compressor for $120. Good
reviews and it seems like it will meet my needs.

I've have one of those (and a larger upright DeWalt) for five or six
years. It's plenty big enough to run any sort of nailer. As long as
you don't want to do something like spray paint with it, you'll be
happy.

What is the minimum to spray paint (like for furniture)? Is it in the
neighborhood of 40# @ 7.2 CFM, or am I looking at the wrong sprayers?

It all depends on the gun you're shooting with. HVLP guns require a higher
SCFM than a traditional syphon gun from the past. Most HVLP guns that
you're going to buy for under $200 are probably going to want at least 10
SCFM. The traditional syphone gun will work just fine at lower delivery
rates. I painted a lot of cars with an old 33 gallon, 5HP Sears horizontal
unit. It cycled a lot and that build up moisture in the tank, so you have
to be mindful of that when painting, but you learn to deal with it. Drain
the tank periodically, use in-line water traps (they have become habit for
me - I keep one on every gun I own), etc.

Thanks for the lesson. It just so happens, that a Sears store is
clearing out a 27 gallon unit (uses oil) that does 7.1 CFM at 40#.
Reviewers critique that it has to be tilted to drain it (its got
wheels). Floor model, regular $529, on sale for $350, and it was hinted
they might be receptive to a good offer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2011 11:19 AM, Leon wrote:

Maybe, the farther from the electricity the heaver gauge extension cord
you have to use.

Better to run hose than wire if you want to save your motor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 07:42:55 -0700, scritch
wrote:

On 10/26/2011 11:19 AM, Leon wrote:

Maybe, the farther from the electricity the heaver gauge extension cord
you have to use.

Better to run hose than wire if you want to save your motor.

Let's see, $8 for a 100' PVC (icky but usable) hose from HF
or $90 for a 100' 12ga extension cord?

Oops, HF isn't giving away their air hoses any more. They're up to $25
now. OK, $12 for the PVC jobbers at Northern Tool & Equip.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.