Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air Compressor Recommendations

Wow, I tried to search the group archives for compressor, and there
were no results.

Anyway, I've always wanted to get a compressor, but have yet to have a
good enough reason to get one. I'll be replacing the roof on the house
next weekend, so this is the perfect time. The way I see it, there are
two main categories of compressors: large tank/high air volume and
portable tank/low volume. A large tank will be expensive and allow the
use of tools such as paint sprayers, sanders and sand blasting
equipment (just a few, but things I can see myself using). A small
tank will be less costly and easy to move around. Ideally, I'd like to
have one of each: a big stationary monster for the shop, and a small
unit to use outside the shop.

My roof project sort of dictates portability, so I'm looking at a
small tank. So, any recommendations on small compressors primarily for
running nail guns? Aside from the doing the roof, I'd say the majority
of the usage will be with brad/finish nailers, and filling the
occasional tire or toy. One that I've looked at recently was a Bostich
kit at Lowe's for $199 - includes a pancake style tank and a brad
nailer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On May 3, 11:20*am, Mike wrote:
[...]

Rent a pancake compressor for the roof and shop the honest-to-gosh
compressor stores for a decent large compressor. Many 'small' trade-
ins from body shops can be had, some needing a conversion from three
phase to single phase power. Say $200 for a nice big older compressor
and a new 5 HP motor at $150 and you've got something unmatchable in
today's box stores. Those old cast iron two cylinder brutes have
different size cylinders, a low pressure side feeding the higher
pressure output. That's exactly what you need to run a HVLP spray gun
off your own air system. Unlike the Chinese box store offerings, these
old timers are readily rebuildable. In my experience, the time between
rebuilds is about 35 years. While you're at it, lay in a supply of
high flow V type air fitting from Milton or the similar knock-offs
from Harbor freight. Never use a 1/4" air hose, and always use 3/4"
black iron for your shop plumbing. IMO, Senco has the best nailing
guns and fasteners, but all are pretty decent these days.
Enough for now. Have fun shopping.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

A few months ago I bought a Porter Cable pancake style compressor with 4 guns
for about $280. HD had them on sale, but only available at one store for some
reason. I have used it on my roof and for some craft projects. Seems to be just
what I need. Check it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are several good deals out there for small, portable compressors
with accessories. I have seen Campbell Hausfeld, Husky and other
portables for around $200-250 with nail guns. Any recognized brands
in that price range might be a good deal.

With that said, your comments indicate a down-stream desire for a
larger machine for your shop. Unless your house is huge, why not drop
the portable and go with a good, capable and higher capacity machine
with more hose. We are in the process of finishing a new home. We
served as general contractor for the framers, roofers, rockers, etc.
We are doing most of the finish ourselves. We have seen lots of
compressors come and go but none of them moved around very much. Our
framer, who also did the siding and other work had an old, horizontal
20 gallon 2-stager that sat on our garage floor for a month or more.
He had lots of hose and a couple of "T" fittings made from cast-iron
plumbing "T"'s and quick-release air chucks. He moved hoses around
our 60'x60' footprint but the compressor stayed put. Even the roofer
dropped their pancake on the driveway and reached all points on the
house with similar equipment. We can reach all points inside the
first floor with our compressor in the garage and with two hoses.
During an earlier house finish I plumbed black gas pipe through the
basement wall into the garage and had an easy source to finish the
basement using the garage compressor.

Our compressor is an older Campbell Hausfeld hybrid. It is portable
(on wheels) but not light. The tank is similar to the big CH 60-80
gallon uprights but shortened to about 35 gallon capacity. It is a 5
HP, two stage machine and It provides flow rate for nearly all common
shop tools but does require occasional pause for spraying or
continuous sanding. My personal preference is the oiled, 2 stage
because I think they are more reliable in the long run (They do cost
more). Besides the noise of the oil-less machines make my hair hurt.

More hose and a few fittings might be your answer. Hope this helps.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

You're on the right track. I watched my neighbor's roof being re-done. They
had four guys, three with hammers and one with an air-nailer. The guy with
the air-nailer was putting down shingles as fast as the other three guys
combined.

Frankly, for puttering around the shop, just about any compressor will do
the job. I got one and use it for just about everything, including replacing
about 400' of baseboards. It's gotten so I hate hammers!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Something to consider, if you are strictly going to use it around "your"
house you can get away with a larger less portable compressor and do
anything. You do not need portability to do your roof. In fact the closer
to the electrical outlet that your compressor is the better it is going to
run. For about $10 you can buy a "cheap" 100' hose from HD. In most cases
two of those hoses will get you to just about any part of your home. So if
you are strictly going to be working around the house with the compressor
save your money on the small compressor and go towards the larger one.
Having said that, I have used a spray paint gun to paint a 12' x 16' tall
steel roll up garage door. using an 11 gal direct drive compressor. I did
in deed have to stop every few minutes to let the compressor cycle but as
often as we needed to paint that was fine. I personally use a 20 gal
compressor and it does every thing I want it to do and has for the last 15
years. The medium sized compressors will do the high volume work if you
allow time to let them cycle. If you see your self using the large volume
tool on a regular basis go with the large compressor. If not, the 20 gallon
size should suite your needs. The more Iron in the compressor, tank, and
pump, the quieter it will operate. Take a magnet with you shopping to check
the compressor pump block, cylinder, and head. The more of those components
that the magnet sticks to the quieter it will operate and quieter is oh so
much more of a pleasure to work around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 09:20:26 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

[...]

A couple of years ago I had a bunch of woodwork to repair and was
getting nowhere with a hammer (smiles galore) so bought a PC pancake
with three finishing nailers. It worked great but I quickly outgrew
it so recently (after retiring, move, and a new job ;-) bought a
DeWalt upright portable (D55168). Bottom line, I'm not sure a pancake
will be enough for a roofing nailer and I think you'll be buying
another one (not necessarily a bad thing ;-) if you go with the
pancake.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A couple of years ago I had a bunch of woodwork to repair and was
getting nowhere with a hammer (smiles galore) so bought a PC pancake
with three finishing nailers. *It worked great but I quickly outgrew
it so recently (after retiring, move, and a new job ;-) *bought a
DeWalt upright portable (D55168). *Bottom line, I'm not sure a pancake
will be enough for a roofing nailer and I think you'll be buying
another one (not necessarily a bad thing ;-) if you go with the
pancake. *

Well, I went around and looked at various compressors today. I've come
to the same conclusion - better to go with a bigger one and plan to
keep it stationary in the shop. I've got three models in mind:
1. Craftsman Pro 25 gal. horizontal
2. Dewalt D55168 15 gal vertical (200PSI)
3. Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal (Lowes)

All three are similar in price, although the Lowes model will require
a regulator and doesn't come with any hoses or extras. Anyone have
experience with any of these?
Posted to rec.woodworking

A nice big one for the shop is the way to go. And go by a pawn shop
for a smaller portable. The small one for nail guns just needs pressure
and a small volume. A small tank can be made from a propane tank and with
a few dollars of adapters you have a portable tank. Charge it up with
the big one and off you go for hours on the house. For 40 years I've used
a converted Freon tank for just that. At first I had a small pump to
charge it.

I have a large tank that can handle everything and a small tank I can charge
and a CO2 tank that I use when using my fence gun away from power or
when it is handy.

Martin

Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got a finish nailer some years ago and tried it on a bird house. WOW!
The house was to 'light' to hammer on and I needed more hands...
I could hold it with one hand, shoot with the other and it was not blasting
across a table with each blow. A simple nail gun can really make a difference
considering the elbow and wrist issues by hammers.

Martin

HeyBub wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

#3 is cast iron double head ? - long lasting design.
The small volume ones are likely plenty for guns but if
you run sanders or other air tools their volume at pressure
may not be enough. Remember horizontal ones take horizontal space
and in most shops verticle space is cheap - horizontal space is expensive.

I got the all green on the front model... But I use a lot of air at 75 psi.
It can generate more than I need but it turns on once or twice a job.
I drive a Plasma CNC table with mine and through a refrigeration dryer as well.

You need to determine the use and flow at what pressure.

If only nail guns - then most any. A twin pump with a motor drive
makes MUCH less noise than the small noisy single piston ones. Noise
might be an issue.

Martin

Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 12:20*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

I was at a jobsite recently where a trim carpenter had a small Senco
piston compressor. It sounded like a sweet small sewing machine. I
want one, so I can get rid of my PC pancake. My PCpancake has been
flawless in service, but man is it L O U D.
He said he paid around 200 dollars for it at Lowe's. It was not oil-
less, btw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I went around and looked at various compressors today. I've come
to the same conclusion - better to go with a bigger one and plan to
keep it stationary in the shop. I've got three models in mind:
1. Craftsman Pro 25 gal. horizontal
2. Dewalt D55168 15 gal vertical (200PSI)
3. Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal (Lowes)

I don't know what prices are for the three, but Campbell Hausfeld is a
good brand and I don't think you can go wrong. They have been
building industrial, farm and home air compression equipment for
years. Dewalt builds good equipment too but I suspect someone else
builds their compressor. Choice #1 started burning me, and a lot of
others in my age range, 20-30 years ago and I wouldn't recommend them.

BTW, the big tank verticals, like #3 might actually take up less floor
space than some of the smaller horizontals.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Mike wrote:

Well, I went around and looked at various compressors today. I've come
to the same conclusion - better to go with a bigger one and plan to
keep it stationary in the shop. I've got three models in mind:
1. Craftsman Pro 25 gal. horizontal
2. Dewalt D55168 15 gal vertical (200PSI)
3. Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal (Lowes)

All three are similar in price, although the Lowes model will require
a regulator and doesn't come with any hoses or extras. Anyone have
experience with any of these?

That's like comparing a local juco to the state uni to (say) Stanford --
they're completely different styles/types of beasts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

www.eatoncompressor.com . No affiliation, just a very happy customer.
Very high quality components, comparatively itty bitty price. I

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 8:46*am, dpb wrote:
Mike wrote:

Well, I went around and looked at various compressors today. I've come
to the same conclusion - better to go with a bigger one and plan to
keep it stationary in the shop. I've got three models in mind:
1. Craftsman Pro 25 gal. horizontal
2. Dewalt D55168 15 gal vertical (200PSI)
3. Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal (Lowes)

All three are similar in price, although the Lowes model will require
a regulator and doesn't come with any hoses or extras. Anyone have
experience with any of these?

That's like comparing a local juco to the state uni to (say) Stanford --
they're completely different styles/types of beasts.

--

ps when u choose the small one just make sure the average air
consumption for your nailer is at or preferably below the displacement
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I was at a jobsite recently where a trim carpenter had a small Senco
piston compressor. It sounded like a sweet small sewing machine. I
want one, so I can get rid of my PC pancake. My PCpancake has been
flawless in service, but man is it L O U D.

Any chance you got a model number of found out what its maximum compression
was?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I don't know what prices are for the three, but is a
good brand and I don't think you can go wrong. They have been
building industrial, farm and home air compression equipment for
years.

The last Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I looked at was made in Taiwan.
They probably still make the industrial sized ones though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

If there ever was a tool you only want to buy ONCE, it is an air
compressor.

The biggest package a home shop can support based on having only
single phase power available is as follows:

5 HP, cap start, cap run, 240VAC/1PH/60HZ, motor.
2 stage compressor with intercooler.
80 gallon receiver, vertical mount.

Current price is about $1100-$1200 plus installation which will add
about $300.

IOW, $1500 buys a lifetime compressor.

Compared to the cost of a cabinet saw, it is a bargain.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
Wow, I tried to search the group archives for compressor, and there
were no results.

Really? I looked and there are a ton of compressor topics in the archives.

[...]

If you're looking for one of each, then any pancake compressor will serve
your needs for a nail gun. You might also want to consider either a simple
tank that you fill and take up on the roof and use until it needs a
re-charge, or simply a few more lengths of air hose that you connect to one
big compressor. If you anticipate a lot of need for portability, then
obviously the pancake is a good idea, but if you really don't see yourself
having to load up the car/truck and head out to a site to do work, then it's
really not all that necessary. Another consideration is the small
horizontal tank type compressor that HF sells.

My son bought one very similar to this for $99 at HF, and has used it for a
few years now. Works just fine and is easy to load and move around.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Brophy" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 May 2009 09:20:26 -0700 (PDT), Mike
wrote:

Air Compressors, pressure washers, and most other continuous
operation types of equipment should be selected using the
following "rule of thumb": Buy the largest you can afford or
else you will probably be disappointed. Like the other guy
in this thread who had a medium size compressor and had to
"wait" for the unit to catch up while spray painting, I too
had a smaller unit to start with, although not by my choice.
In stark contrast to the other posters comment implying that
it was "ok" to wait (stopping using the compressor) until it
caught up, for me, after a couple of times "waiting" I
started using this down time to plot how I was to get rid of
this compressor and get one that was adequate to perform the
jobs I needed it to without having to make me wait. I
quickly regretted rationalizing that my under sized
compressor unit would "probably be ok" when called upon to
deliver air pressure at a rate it simply was not capable of
doing, at about this same time I recognized that "waiting"
was about as fun as "waiting" for your wife to finish her
shopping at the mall after you have: 1) finished your
shopping, 2) Already became bored window shopping and other
conjured up means to kill time, 3) Kicked yourself for not
establishing a way of communicating with each other prior to
the agreed to end time, should the need arise. Yep, just
like having to wait on that compressor. Even worse if your
neighbor comes over and sees you playing solitaire while
your compressor is running to "catch up". Nope, not even
close to being "ok" from my perspective.

I was at least one of the other persons that mentioned using a spray painter
with a "small" 11 gal. direct drive not medium sized compressor. The wait
was approximately 15-20 seconds. If you want the larger compressor and have
no wait time that is OK. I have personally had the larger 80 gallon
compressor and a 25 and currently have a 20 and also have a 3 gal. For most
doing recreational wood working this is more than enough especially for the
occasionally spray painting. I use the 3 gal compressor for on the job
fence
jobs and leave the portable 20 gal unit in place, it is still to big to be
hauling to another location IMHO. The 80 gallon unit was an Albatross in
the shop. For a wood working shop it was rarely used any where near
capacity. I was glad to get rid if it.
You bring up good points but when buying I think you will waste a lot of
money if you buy the biggest you can afford. Personally I can easily afford
a $10,000 compressor. I personally have probably gone over board on machine
purchases but that was my choice. I have gone over board on compressors
also and prefer the smaller quieter units for woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" revealed this about himself...

I personally have probably gone over board on machine
purchases but that was my choice.

Say it ain't so Leon. Doncha know that saying things like this in a
woodworking group is blasphemy?

Repeat after me. I make wise tool buying decisions. I am at peace with my
tool buying decisions. I love my tools. My tools love me. I talk to my
tools. My tools talk to me. I am wise in the way of tools.

No go fondle some of your tools. And realize that everything is right with
the world.

VBG

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
also and prefer the smaller quieter units for woodworking.

In regards to those quieter compressors, have you (or anybody else) come
across any listings of the decibel levels of compressors?

I know I can go and find out compressor decibel ratings for them singly, but
that takes time. It would be easier if someone has already compiled a list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
also and prefer the smaller quieter units for woodworking.

In regards to those quieter compressors, have you (or anybody else) come
across any listings of the decibel levels of compressors?

I know I can go and find out compressor decibel ratings for them singly,
but
that takes time. It would be easier if someone has already compiled a
list.

I do not recall seeing a decibel rating on compressors although my current
20 gallon compressor with belt drive twin piston and cast iron block and
cylinder is quiet enough to have a conversation 3-4 feet away. The head is
aluminum.
The 3 gal direct drive model is considerably more noisy but recharges pretty
quickly, in the 10 second range IIRC.

And then there is the motor speed that can make more noise. It seems that a
slower running but louder compressor is less irritating than a quieter and
higher pitched fast running compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" revealed this about himself...

I personally have probably gone over board on machine
purchases but that was my choice.

Say it ain't so Leon. Doncha know that saying things like this in a
woodworking group is blasphemy?

Repeat after me. I make wise tool buying decisions. I am at peace with my
tool buying decisions. I love my tools. My tools love me. I talk to my
tools. My tools talk to me. I am wise in the way of tools.

No go fondle some of your tools. And realize that everything is right with
the world.

VBG

The Laguna and the Festool equipment have certainly been purchases where I
went speeding past the adequate requirements however the BS requires no,
"fiddl'n" with, for it to turn out great results and to eat what ever I
throw at it. The Festool, well I certainly do not have much fine dust
floating around in the air any more when sanding and the Domino is like a
biscuit cutter on MEGA Steroids. I did not need any of those tools but they
certainly make life easier in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
The 3 gal direct drive model is considerably more noisy but recharges

pretty
quickly, in the 10 second range IIRC.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...406/i2846.html

I'm considering something along the lines of the one above. It's listed at
55 decibels or about the level of an average conversation and weighs in
close to 50 lbs. That's a little heavier than what I had in mind, but I'm
not ready to exclude it yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
The 3 gal direct drive model is considerably more noisy but recharges

pretty
quickly, in the 10 second range IIRC.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...406/i2846.html

I'm considering something along the lines of the one above. It's listed at
55 decibels or about the level of an average conversation and weighs in
close to 50 lbs. That's a little heavier than what I had in mind, but I'm
not ready to exclude it yet.

I am not sure what your CFM requirements are but DeWalt has a couple of
small belt drive units that weigh 24 lb and 30 lb. D55140 and D55141
respectively.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/To...il_Compare.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On May 6, 8:55*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" revealed this about himself...

I personally have probably gone over board on machine
purchases but that was my choice.

Say it ain't so Leon. *Doncha know that saying things like this in a
woodworking group is blasphemy?

Repeat after me. *I make wise tool buying decisions. I am at peace with my
tool buying decisions. I love my tools. My tools love me. I talk to my
tools. *My tools talk to me. I am wise in the way of tools.

No go fondle some of your tools. And realize that everything is right with
the world.

VBG

Right on! Couldn't have said it better.
Cheers,

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You bring up good points but when buying I think you will waste a lot of
money if you buy the biggest you can afford. Personally I can easily
afford
a $10,000 compressor. I personally have probably gone over board on
machine
purchases but that was my choice. I have gone over board on compressors
also and prefer the smaller quieter units for woodworking.

Leon - did your wife put you up to saying this?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

You bring up good points but when buying I think you will waste a lot of
money if you buy the biggest you can afford. Personally I can easily
afford
a $10,000 compressor. I personally have probably gone over board on
machine
purchases but that was my choice. I have gone over board on compressors
also and prefer the smaller quieter units for woodworking.

Leon - did your wife put you up to saying this?

LOL, No, actually she has almost as many $'s invested in fancy machines as
I do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I am not sure what your CFM requirements are but DeWalt has a couple of
small belt drive units that weigh 24 lb and 30 lb. D55140 and D55141
respectively.

Thanks, they're more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I let you know
what I get.