Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Air compressor recommendations

On 10/25/2011 4:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I have occasional need for an air compressor and have been sharing a
small unit with Number One Son. I use it mostly for brad nailing, once
or twice a month. So I don't want to invest big bucks. I'm thinking 125
PSI will be all that I need. I've heard I should go oiless. Any specific
recommendations? Any thoughts about HF models?

TIA,

Larry

Oilless these days are much better than they used to be.

Having said that,

They are noisier than a oil compressor and mostly because they run
faster. Annoyingly noisy. If you ever would consider painting there
is more chance of an oil unit adding oil to your mix. Oilless will not
last as long, all things being equal. 125 psi will run most anything
tool that you want to use.
Nail guns are very low volume users so the size of the compressor does
not matter. BUT once you have a compressor at you immediate disposal
you tend to add more tools to be used with the compressor. So keep in
mind that a larger volume CFM unit will work out better. Try to buy a
compressor with the CFM specs to match a tool that you might consider
buying in the future.

Also keep in mind that if you buy cheap it will most likely fail sooner
than later and once you have a compressor you never want to be with out
a compressor. So do you buy better and cry once or buy cheap and cry twice.