Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 8

These photos were all recently sent to me, the first three were submitted by
people looking to identify the items, I've already posted them on my site
sometime in the last six years so you can test your memory on them.

30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

31.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic31.jpg

32.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic32.jpg

These last two haven't been posted on the web site befo

33.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic33a.jpg

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend that
its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#32 is used to strip corn from the ears for canning or for those of us who
can't bite it from the ear for one reason or another .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#30 looks like a can opener

It does look like one but it was made for another purpose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#32 is used to strip corn from the ears for canning or for those of us who
can't bite it from the ear for one reason or another .

Correct

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#30 looks like a can opener

It does look like one but it was made for another purpose.

Generic sheet metal cutter, ancestor of the nibbler?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

news
#30 looks like a can opener

It does look like one but it was made for another purpose.

Generic sheet metal cutter, ancestor of the nibbler?

Thanks,
Rich

It isn't for use on metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
These photos were all recently sent to me, the first three were submitted
by people looking to identify the items, I've already posted them on my
site sometime in the last six years so you can test your memory on them.

30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

31.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic31.jpg

32.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic32.jpg

These last two haven't been posted on the web site befo

33.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic33a.jpg

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend that
its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

Rob

30: is a wire stripper

31: is a type of hand operated vise

32: has been answered

33: is a home made overhead candle holder

34: is part of an easel stand

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

news
#30 looks like a can opener

It does look like one but it was made for another purpose.

Generic sheet metal cutter, ancestor of the nibbler?

It isn't for use on metal.

Thanks. I just now saw "wire stripper" by $OTHER_POSTER, and I wanna
change my vote. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

30: is a wire stripper

31: is a type of hand operated vise

Both incorrect

32: has been answered

33: is a home made overhead candle holder

Yes, it's for holding candles but it's for a very particular use, the word
'overhead' could be considered correct but a more specific term would be
better

34: is part of an easel stand

Nope

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
These photos were all recently sent to me, the first three were
submitted by people looking to identify the items, I've already posted
them on my site sometime in the last six years so you can test your
memory on them.

30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

Looks sort of like an old seam ripper. May even be a bag ripper.

31.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic31.jpg

I use mine as a nutcracker.

32.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic32.jpg

Used to remove corn kernels from the cob.

These last two haven't been posted on the web site befo

33.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic33a.jpg

Candle chandelier?

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

????

Rob

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"WayneJ" wrote in message
newsp.vle08fgsnatzq9@dellilah...
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:36:37 -0700, Rob H. wrote:

33: is a home made overhead candle holder

Yes, it's for holding candles but it's for a very particular use, the
word 'overhead' could be considered correct but a more specific term
would be better

Must not be any scandahoovians here!

How about on the head -- St. Lucys day.

WayneJ

Yes, it's a Lucia crown, worn on St. Lucy's day, as seen he

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1296&bih=620

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

Looks sort of like an old seam ripper. May even be a bag ripper.

Nope

31.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic31.jpg

I use mine as a nutcracker.

Yep, it's a nut cracker

32.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic32.jpg

Used to remove corn kernels from the cob.

Correct

33.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic33a.jpg

Candle chandelier?

Partially correct

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

????

Rob

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Wooden speculum for ummmm - you know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Correct! Except it's for use by a man who wants to keep his shoes dry.
It's called a boot saver and was also used as a cane.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:10:29 -0400, Rob H. wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Correct! Except it's for use by a man who wants to keep his shoes dry.
It's called a boot saver and was also used as a cane.

LOL!

Many years ago, I saw an article in Hustler Mag, about some little
funnel-thing somebody was marketing to enable women to pee at a urinal;
there was a pic (from behind) of some woman standing at a urinal using
this little device.

I don't think it ever caught on. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote the following:
These photos were all recently sent to me, the first three were
submitted by people looking to identify the items, I've already posted
them on my site sometime in the last six years so you can test your
memory on them.

30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

A claw clipper for an animal?

31.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic31.jpg

32.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic32.jpg

These last two haven't been posted on the web site befo

33.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic33a.jpg

A candle holder?

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A device for checking plumb?

Rob

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rich Grise wrote the following:
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:10:29 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Correct! Except it's for use by a man who wants to keep his shoes dry.
It's called a boot saver and was also used as a cane.

LOL!

Many years ago, I saw an article in Hustler Mag, about some little
funnel-thing somebody was marketing to enable women to pee at a urinal;
there was a pic (from behind) of some woman standing at a urinal using
this little device.

I don't think it ever caught on. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

I only read Hustler for the pictures. :-)
First, it would have to be used in the Men's room. No urinals in the
Woman's room.
Secondly, it would have to be washed afterwards, unless it is disposable.
Lastly, unless it was a foldable paper funnel, where would it be kept
between visits?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
) Rich Grise wrote the following:
) On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:10:29 -0400, Rob H. wrote:
)
) "Rich Grise" wrote in message
) news ) A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)
)
[...]

http://www.shewee.com/

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/31/10 1:55 PM, Willem wrote:

http://www.shewee.com/

SaSW, Willem

Aah! Samantha Fountain invented it. They also sell sexy pink pants
with a discreet hole for the spout. I'll have to get a Shewee and some
of those pants. No more indecent exposure charges on the long walk home
from a night of drinking!

It's recommended for scuba divers. I wonder if it would also work in a
swimming pool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 10/31/10 1:55 PM, Willem wrote:

http://www.shewee.com/

SaSW, Willem

Aah! Samantha Fountain invented it. They also sell sexy pink pants with
a discreet hole for the spout. I'll have to get a Shewee and some of
those pants. No more indecent exposure charges on the long walk home from
a night of drinking!

It's recommended for scuba divers. I wonder if it would also work in a
swimming pool.

Years ago, I was talking to a retired WW2 Air Force pilot
He was telling me that they used to have a pipe connected, plastic or
rubber, to the pilots water outlet and when they wanted a pee, they just did
The pipe was trailed to the outside and blew away in the wind.
He called it a ****aphone pipe.
Guess it would stop having to go outside on the wing for a leak

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/31/10 6:41 PM, George W Frost wrote:
"J wrote in message
On 10/31/10 1:55 PM, Willem wrote:

http://www.shewee.com/

SaSW, Willem

Aah! Samantha Fountain invented it. They also sell sexy pink pants with
a discreet hole for the spout. I'll have to get a Shewee and some of
those pants. No more indecent exposure charges on the long walk home from
a night of drinking!

It's recommended for scuba divers. I wonder if it would also work in a
swimming pool.

Years ago, I was talking to a retired WW2 Air Force pilot
He was telling me that they used to have a pipe connected, plastic or
rubber, to the pilots water outlet and when they wanted a pee, they just did
The pipe was trailed to the outside and blew away in the wind.
He called it a ****aphone pipe.
Guess it would stop having to go outside on the wing for a leak

The Steven Canyon Show ran from 1958 to 1960. In one episode, the
civilian passenger in a 2-seat fighter pressed his eye against what he
thought was a bomb sight, then asked over the intercom, "What's this?"

"That's the relief tube."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-31, willshak wrote:
Rich Grise wrote the following:

[ ... ]

Many years ago, I saw an article in Hustler Mag, about some little
funnel-thing somebody was marketing to enable women to pee at a urinal;
there was a pic (from behind) of some woman standing at a urinal using
this little device.

I don't think it ever caught on. ;-)

I know of at least one woman who uses one of some brand or other
(yes, there are several makers). She passes as a man in a Civil War
re-enactment troupe, and needs to be able to relieve herself against a
tree as the other soldiers do.

[ ... ]

I only read Hustler for the pictures. :-)
First, it would have to be used in the Men's room. No urinals in the
Woman's room.

You've never been in a men's room which has been "liberated" by
a crowd of women? Typically at a concert venue where there are just as
many women's johns as men's -- but not anything to take the place of the
urinals. Women normally take longer to do their thing with a normal
john, because of the extra layers which have to be removed and replaced,
so there is never time during the intermission to handle all of them who
need to go.

Secondly, it would have to be washed afterwards, unless it is disposable.
Lastly, unless it was a foldable paper funnel, where would it be kept
between visits?

A container to store it after use until it can be washed. Or --
just wash it when she washes her hands at the sink.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:05:50 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:10:29 -0400, Rob H. wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:11:48 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

34. This one is a little unusual in that some people might recommend
that its purpose not be discussed in polite company:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic34a.jpg

A pee chute for liberated women? ;-)

Correct! Except it's for use by a man who wants to keep his shoes dry.
It's called a boot saver and was also used as a cane.

LOL!

Many years ago, I saw an article in Hustler Mag, about some little
funnel-thing somebody was marketing to enable women to pee at a urinal;
there was a pic (from behind) of some woman standing at a urinal using
this little device.

I don't think it ever caught on. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Oddly enough..there are a significant number of women who use these
things, but dont wave them around. Long haul truck drivers, tour bus
drivers, etc etc.

I know at least 5 ladies who keep one in their gear.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

I'll go ahead and post the answer for this one, it's a shoemaker's welt
trimmer, a cutting tool used with a pushing motion to trim the outer edge of
a welt after stitching.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2010-11-01, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
On 1 Nov 2010 01:27:36 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Women normally take longer to do their thing with a normal
john, because of the extra layers which have to be removed and replaced,

Actually, it's because they all stop to gossip. ;-)

That is taken care of in the (long) line before getting into the
johns in the situation which I described (snipped).

I'm reminded of the old joke:

What are the three fastest forms of mass communication?
Gryrcubar, gryrtencu, gryy n jbzna.

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Furrfu!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

--Jvafgba
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Winston wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

--Jvafgba

Or just right click and select rot-13 in Netscape.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 00:19:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Winston wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

--Jvafgba

Or just right click and select rot-13 in Netscape.

Or IE
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 21:03:59 -0700, Winston
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Just log to http://www.rot13.com/index.php
and paste your text into the window.

--Winston

?

Not everyone is butt ignorant.

Shrug

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 2:16*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
*or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
*caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

What an offensive and narrow-minded quote. Does John Tucci really
believe that everyone in America has the opportunity to rise out of
poverty? Or, as Reagan used to say, "Anyone can grow up to be a
millionaire"? I sure hope I never get that limited a view of the
complexities of poverty. I grew out of it, and I attribute at least
50% of my success to blind luck, not life choices. Its anything but a
level playing field out there, no matter how much Tucci wants it to be
otherwise, in order to justify his point of view.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Winston wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)

Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

--Jvafgba

Or just right click and select rot-13 in Netscape.

I was looking for that in Thunderbird when the message first came through, but
for some reason that option no longer exists.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote the following:
30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic30.jpg

I'll go ahead and post the answer for this one, it's a shoemaker's
welt trimmer, a cutting tool used with a pushing motion to trim the
outer edge of a welt after stitching.

Rob

The glue all over the handle shoulda given it away. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 9:18*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ef5e3cfa-4eb3-4676-a152-
, says...

[...]

Analyze your "blind luck" carefully and you'll likely find that others
had the same "blind luck" and didn't do anything with it.

But do you believe that robbing the rich will make the poor rich?

No, but I do believe that the playing field in a capitalist democratic
system is tilted in favor of the wealthy, and that its too easy for
them who have, to get more. Not 'robbing the rich', just putting a
governor on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

?
? Winston wrote:
??
?? DoN. Nichols wrote:
??
?? (...)
??
??? And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
??? these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)
??
?? Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
?? naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.
??
?? --Jvafgba
?
?
? Or just right click and select rot-13 in Netscape.

I was looking for that in Thunderbird when the message first came through, but
for some reason that option no longer exists.

Thnderbird has made way too many changes for my taste. I still use
Netscape 4.8 for newsgroups. I've been told that it doesn't work with
Vista or 7, though. This is an XP system, in spite of what the headers
say.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 04:24:10 -0700 (PDT), humunculus
wrote:

[...]

Your opinion is indeed noted.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 11/2/10 10:21 AM, humunculus wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:18 pm, "J. wrote:

But do you believe that robbing the rich will make the poor rich?

No, but I do believe that the playing field in a capitalist democratic
system is tilted in favor of the wealthy, and that its too easy for
them who have, to get more. Not 'robbing the rich', just putting a
governor on it.

Millions of English used to live and make their living on public lands.
The king decided his friends could become very rich if he privatized
these lands. Over two or three centuries, millions of displaced people
starved. Darwin called it survival of the fittest. Dickens called it
survival of the fattest. The cheap labor of the desperately poor made
the industrial revolution very profitable.

In America, most settlers were supposed to end up like slaves because
only corporations were to own land. The Indians thought that would ruin
the environment. By selling land to a corporation, Samoset got legal
recognition that Indians, not the king, were the owners. They used that
recognition to give or sell land to individual farmers. That's how
democracy took root among New England colonists.

George Washington and Henry Knox wanted to prevent democracy from
spreading. They came up with a scheme of calling Indian tribes nations.
It was illegal for a member of one of these "nations" to give a white
guy a break by giving or selling him land. Instead, the Army would be
called in to force a self-styled Indian leader to cede a bunch of land,
which would end up in the hands of powerful whites.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 9:18 pm, "J. wrote:

[...]

Interesting world view you have there. Is that the result of a head
injury?