Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 6

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 10/2/10 11:31 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 10/2/10 12:02 PM, Rob H. wrote:

25. 8" diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic25.jpg

The center hole appears to have the same volume as the others, about 4
cubic inches or 65ml. That's big enough for the contents of an egg, but
who would want to cook eggs that way?

The 7 holes could be to ration something used daily for a week.

Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

If you have any left

Was it made for Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd? He used so much Brylcreem that
under the stage lights it would melt and run down over his face.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I don't know the answers for the first two, but I think that I know the
purpose of #24 & 25:

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

24. The owner's description: It opens and closes and it has an attached
brass square that flips down.It has two brass squares that are not
attached.It is marked Made in Germany so it predates WWII.only about 1/8"
thick.The one square that is permanently attached folds down in either
direction to "prop it up", I don't know if that is it's primary function
though.It has 2 brass squares not attached, A SOLID RECTANGLE AND A "FRAME
TYPE RECTANGLE
brass plate dimensions -The larger two are exactly 36mm x 25mm.The one that
is connected is 28mm x 21mm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic24a.jpg

25. 8" diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic25.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

Guessing:
# 22: A hanging plant's finial.... attaches to a stand/trellis at the
cove (2" mark)?

#23, my first thought was a dent puller or similarly functioning
tool. Cork screw?

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
I don't know the answers for the first two, but I think that I know the
purpose of #24 & 25:

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

In some ways it resembles a hood ornament from a car. Of course, one
might expect a little more symmetry at the top for that.

Bill

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

24. The owner's description: It opens and closes and it has an attached
brass square that flips down.It has two brass squares that are not
attached.It is marked Made in Germany so it predates WWII.only about
1/8" thick.The one square that is permanently attached folds down in
either direction to "prop it up", I don't know if that is it's primary
function though.It has 2 brass squares not attached, A SOLID RECTANGLE
AND A "FRAME TYPE RECTANGLE
brass plate dimensions -The larger two are exactly 36mm x 25mm.The one
that is connected is 28mm x 21mm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic24a.jpg

25. 8" diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic25.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

Corkscrew?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

22, a decoration that fell off.
23, coat hanger for a mud room or closet/
24, cigar cutter, cigarette holder
25, smelter of some sort?

On 10/02/2010 12:02 PM, Rob H. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#24 is a picture frame.
It's intended to be carried in the pocket or luggage of a traveling man.
Back in the days when traveling involved a train or a steamship or a
dirigible, a quick business trip meant you might be away from your family
for a month.
It's a more manly version of the locket.

Paul K. Dickman

"Rob H." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#24 is a picture frame.
It's intended to be carried in the pocket or luggage of a traveling man.
Back in the days when traveling involved a train or a steamship or a
dirigible, a quick business trip meant you might be away from your family
for a month.
It's a more manly version of the locket.

That's exactly what I was thinking it was for.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Rob H. wrote:

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

Corkscrew?

Pervert!

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote the following:
I don't know the answers for the first two, but I think that I know
the purpose of #24 & 25:

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

Bung remover for a wine barrel?.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/2/10 12:02 PM, Rob H. wrote:

25. 8" diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic25.jpg

The center hole appears to have the same volume as the others, about 4
cubic inches or 65ml. That's big enough for the contents of an egg, but
who would want to cook eggs that way?

The 7 holes could be to ration something used daily for a week.

Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

If you have any left

Hair loss could be why Brylcreem should be used sparingly.
http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/sy...essnov2001.jpg

Was it made for Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd? He used so much Brylcreem that
under the stage lights it would melt and run down over his face.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

CY: Somhow, the small hook looks like it's meant to hang on a rod or
something.

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

CY: My sense is a halyerd (probably spelt that wong). On a boat, or
side of building. You'd pilot hole and then screw this in. The dark
part would be used for securing a rope.

24. The owner's description: It opens and closes and it has an
attached
brass square that flips down.It has two brass squares that are not
attached.It is marked Made in Germany so it predates WWII.only about
1/8"
thick.The one square that is permanently attached folds down in either
direction to "prop it up", I don't know if that is it's primary
function
though.It has 2 brass squares not attached, A SOLID RECTANGLE AND A
"FRAME
TYPE RECTANGLE
brass plate dimensions -The larger two are exactly 36mm x 25mm.The one
that
is connected is 28mm x 21mm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic24a.jpg

CY: Photo album for a trvelling man.

25. 8" diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic25.jpg

CY: Nothing comes to mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 3:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

CY: My sense is a halyerd (probably spelt that wong). On a boat, or
side of building. You'd pilot hole and then screw this in. The dark
part would be used for securing a rope.

Those who know the ropes usually spell it C-L-E-A-T, but when they tell
you to secure a line to one they spell it H-A-L-Y-A-R-D.

Here's a picture of one.
http://www.uscg.mil/d5/cgcCleat/default.asp

Notice it has two screws. That way it doesn't need much depth, and it
won't wiggle and work loose.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2010 4:48 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 10/3/10 3:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

CY: My sense is a halyerd (probably spelt that wong). On a boat, or
side of building. You'd pilot hole and then screw this in. The dark
part would be used for securing a rope.

Those who know the ropes usually spell it C-L-E-A-T, but when they tell
you to secure a line to one they spell it H-A-L-Y-A-R-D.

Here's a picture of one.
http://www.uscg.mil/d5/cgcCleat/default.asp

Notice it has two screws. That way it doesn't need much depth, and it
won't wiggle and work loose.

One thing I noticed is that there appear to be finger-sized depressions
on the top of one of the wings, giving me the idea that it is to be held
in some way, but not used as a pull, or the depressions would be on the
underside.
Mouse
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I think we have the correct answer for the picture frame, but I haven't been
able to confirm any of guesses for the other items.

The last one, the wooden container with 7 compartments, slightly resembles a
cobbler's nail holder, which is usually made of iron, has eight compartments
and is heavy. This wooden container could be portable nail holder, both
containers can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic25b.jpg

Although I would expect a better handle on the wooden one if it was to hold
nails. I'm not saying this is the correct answer, just that it's the only
other container with wedge shaped compartments that I've seen.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Spelled it wrong, and got the wrong name. Is it obvious, I'm neither a
sailor, nor a Navy man?

Thanks, I learned something.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 10/3/10 3:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

CY: My sense is a halyerd (probably spelt that wong). On a boat, or
side of building. You'd pilot hole and then screw this in. The dark
part would be used for securing a rope.

Those who know the ropes usually spell it C-L-E-A-T, but when they
tell
you to secure a line to one they spell it H-A-L-Y-A-R-D.

Here's a picture of one.
http://www.uscg.mil/d5/cgcCleat/default.asp

Notice it has two screws. That way it doesn't need much depth, and it
won't wiggle and work loose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 5:25 PM, Rob H. wrote:
I think we have the correct answer for the picture frame, but I haven't
been able to confirm any of guesses for the other items.

The last one, the wooden container with 7 compartments, slightly
resembles a cobbler's nail holder, which is usually made of iron, has
eight compartments and is heavy. This wooden container could be portable
nail holder, both containers can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic25b.jpg

Although I would expect a better handle on the wooden one if it was to
hold nails. I'm not saying this is the correct answer, just that it's
the only other container with wedge shaped compartments that I've seen.

Rob

Here's what the compartments made me think of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr...suit_Token.jpg

Naturally, gamblers would play on large boards to make cheating more
difficult. They would want to keep their cups covered. However, I have
found no evidence that Trivial Pursuit was ever played that way!

The hole in the center of a star nail cup is for the spindle of a lazy
susan. The compartments are apparently shaped to keep nails parallel so
the cobbler can quickly judge their length. The compartments are
shallow so the cobbler can see well. They are rounded to make it easy
to pick up a nail.

The mystery item doesn't have these advantages. A traveling cobbler
might do better to put an eye bolt through the hole, for carrying and to
hold down a flat cover. Otherwise, he might use a rectangular tray with
shallow compartments.

Pipe tobacco! A 65ml compartment would hold about 1/2 ounce or 15
grams. That would probably be 3 - 15 pipes, depending on the size of
the bowl and the amount of tamping. A bored smoker might smoke more in
a day, and it probably wouldn't be good for him.

A pound should last a month, but not if the smoker gets carried away. A
sailor or rancher, for example, would have to plan his consumption. He
fills his portable humidor for the week and starts on a new compartment
each day. At the end of the week he's within his budget. He may have
leftover tobacco in some or all compartments. He can use it to
celebrate or to extend the time before he refills.

He could apply drops of water to the thick wood to keep the tobacco
suitably moist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 7:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
The mystery item doesn't have these advantages. A traveling cobbler
might do better to put an eye bolt through the hole, for carrying and to
hold down a flat cover. Otherwise, he might use a rectangular tray with
shallow compartments.

Rats! I meant through the hole in a cast-iron star nail tray.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 5:09 PM, Mouse wrote:
[...]

I don't know what to make of that, but there appears to be vegetation at
the collar and dried mud in the threads. I don't know why anyone would
screw it into the ground except to clean out holes in timbers or concrete.

If something were seasonally laid on concrete or timbers and pins kept
it from sliding, could this item be a sort of awl to clean out the holes
for the pins?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
[...]

24 is definitely a picture frame, I fact I have seen them with a small
picture in them.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Steve R. wrote:
"Rob H." wrote in message
I don't know the answers for the first two, but I think that I know the
purpose of #24 & 25:

22. 3-1/2" long, someone found this underground in their garden:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic22.jpg

23.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic23.jpg

Looks a LOT like the hand screws I use to attach my tree stand to the
tree. They go through drilled holes in the frame and into the tree. The
T is usually dipped into handle dip to provide some protection.

This is a newer version

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/...RS1096902.html

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 5:25 PM, Rob H. wrote:
I think we have the correct answer for the picture frame, but I haven't
been able to confirm any of guesses for the other items.

The last one, the wooden container with 7 compartments, slightly
resembles a cobbler's nail holder, which is usually made of iron, has
eight compartments and is heavy. This wooden container could be portable
nail holder, both containers can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic25b.jpg

Although I would expect a better handle on the wooden one if it was to
hold nails. I'm not saying this is the correct answer, just that it's
the only other container with wedge shaped compartments that I've seen.

Rob

I haven't found any pictures of compartmentalized tobacco boxes, but
there's a guy who wants one:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topi...ends-are-there

He says he would like to keep pipe tobacco in a tackle box holding 3 or
4 bowlfuls in each compartment.

Nowadays, pipe tobacco is often sold in foil pouches. It costs more
that way, and it has additives to keep it fresh. It still loses flavor
rapidly in a pouch, and it's hard to load a pipe from a nearly empty
foil pouch.

Tobacco from a fresh can tastes better. It's easy to fill your pipe
because you can see what you're doing and spilled tobacco falls back
into the can.

A can may contain more than 200 bowlfuls. If you open it that many
times, it will lose flavor. Also, when filling from a can you can't
keep track of your daily usage. If you smoke more than half an ounce in
a day, it won't taste good the next day, and you may run out a week
before you can buy more.

I transfer my tobacco to an empty can half an ounce at a time. The
mystery item would hold a week's worth of half-ounce rations. If the
compartments are not all empty at the end of the week, you can fill the
empty ones and keep moving clockwise. The diameter is bigger than a
can, so you won't spill on your desk. Thick wood seems like a good idea
for a tobacco box because you can add humidity to the wood to keep the
tobacco from drying out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." writes:

I think we have the correct answer for the picture frame, but I
haven't been able to confirm any of guesses for the other items.

The last one, the wooden container with 7 compartments, slightly
resembles a cobbler's nail holder, which is usually made of iron, has
eight compartments and is heavy. This wooden container could be
portable nail holder, both containers can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic25b.jpg

Although I would expect a better handle on the wooden one if it was to
hold nails. I'm not saying this is the correct answer, just that it's
the only other container with wedge shaped compartments that I've
seen.

I've seen something vaguely similar for holding lead fishing weights.
This for example:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Terminal-Tackle/Weights|/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104685480/Bullet-Weight-Split-Shot-Assortment/702065.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/fishing-terminal-tackle-weights/_/N-1100373&rid=30&WT.tsrc=SEO&WT.mc_id=Google&WT.z_mc _id1=fishing%20lead%20weight%20holder

I'm far from convinced, but thought the idea worth floating(!)