Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend edition

The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to identify
the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to the web
site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic1na.jpg

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was built in
1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

3. Someone has about 17 of these 3' test tube type cylinders, each have a
small hole in them, a rounded bottom and no lip on the top.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3mb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3ma.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3na.jpg

This vase was in the box with the other tubes, it has a finished bottom and
12 holes on the top
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3nb.jpg

4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 10:47:07 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was built in
1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

I had a job in college delivering those for the FB Jones Company, the
company that made most of the ones seen in the Boston area. Ajax was
another brand.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to
the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.
1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

Insulators, but I don't know for the precise application w/ the multiple
on a stand...telephone in an old switch house/yard, maybe???

My dialup was even slower than normal this AM so didn't try to load any
more...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

First, a couple of the images come up sideways. More text inserted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rob H." wrote in message
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify
the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to the
web
site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic1na.jpg

CY: Centipede dildo.

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was
built in
1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

CY: I suspect a doggie doolie. Pit for dog poop. I've seen those, but
a foot operated lid lifter.

3. Someone has about 17 of these 3' test tube type cylinders, each
have a
small hole in them, a rounded bottom and no lip on the top.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3mb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3ma.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3na.jpg

CY: My first impression was a hookah, or smoking pipe. That kind of
thing was popular in earlier generation.

This vase was in the box with the other tubes, it has a finished
bottom and
12 holes on the top
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3nb.jpg

CY: Might be something for flowers. Might?

4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

CY: Sorry, didn't see that there was item four, thought there were two
pictures of item three. I agree with my esteemed colleague, cigar
cutter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was
built in 1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

Holds a trash can, so you don't have to look at it.

Unfortunately, you end up having to lift a heavy can out of the ground,
which is why I believe they fell out of favor.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Rob H. wrote:

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was
built in 1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

Holds a trash can, so you don't have to look at it.

Unfortunately, you end up having to lift a heavy can out of the ground,
which is why I believe they fell out of favor.

Jon

Yes, it's an in-ground trash can, an ad for it can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/1a_pc.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2010-06-05, Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to identify
the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to the web
site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic1na.jpg

O.K. The images are confused a bit by whatever was in the
background. So I have some questions:

1) Is there a hole through the stems.

2) Do the tops come off? It looks like it might be a ground-glass
stopper fit with silicone vacuum grease making it appear to be
a single piece.

3) Is the bottom rim a ground glass surface?

If the answer to all three of these is "yes", than I think that
what you have here is a lab manifold for connecting a single
vacuum source (coming through a cast iron or steel plate) and
connecting it to up to five different objects which need the
vacuum. (If less than five are in use at a time, the caps from
question (2) are left on the unused fittings.

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was built in
1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

A composting pail?

3. Someone has about 17 of these 3' test tube type cylinders, each have a
small hole in them, a rounded bottom and no lip on the top.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3mb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3ma.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3na.jpg

The first question is "why are all of these images rotated 90
degrees CCW?

The next question which comes to mind is how round are the
holes?

Also - is the bottom lip ground or just heat smoothed?

If the holes are round, and the bottom lip is ground, these
could be vacuum containers -- though very likely to break, so I would
consider them to be very dangerous in such use. If the holes are too
irregular to accept a rubber stopper, then perhaps it is for
introducing a flame (a lit splinter) into a gas mix in the tubes.
Exactly why is a question to be answered by whoever had them made to
start with.

This vase was in the box with the other tubes, it has a finished bottom and
12 holes on the top
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic3nb.jpg

Hmmm ... another rotated image -- and too dark as well.

Perhaps stems of roses come in through the holes to make a halo
of blossoms around the glass?

4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

For cutting some round object to length. Obviously not glass,
as there are no burn marks from contact with hot glass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to
the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.
1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

Insulators, but I don't know for the precise application w/ the multiple
on a stand...telephone in an old switch house/yard, maybe???

I sent this photo to an insulator collector, he had all different types of
them on his site but he had never seen this one before, so either it's a
rare insulator or maybe it's something else.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to
the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.
1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic1n.jpg

Insulators, but I don't know for the precise application w/ the multiple
on a stand...telephone in an old switch house/yard, maybe???

My dialup was even slower than normal this AM so didn't try to load any
more...

--

A miniature beertap?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rob H. wrote:

I sent this photo to an insulator collector, he had all different types
of them on his site but he had never seen this one before, so either
it's a rare insulator or maybe it's something else.

Well, are they hollow and are the ends actually removable? I thought it
was just reflection/refraction, but the second picture makes me think
the laboratory vacuum manifold of another respondent would quite
possibly be a good call if so...

They really aren't well-shaped for the purpose of an insulator as I look
again as well as it would be unusual for there to not be additional
support. I'm thinking I jumped to conclusion too quickly...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

2. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was
built in 1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic2n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic2na.jpg

Holds a trash can, so you don't have to look at it.

Unfortunately, you end up having to lift a heavy can out of the ground,
which is why I believe they fell out of favor.

Jon

Yes, it's an in-ground trash can, an ad for it can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/1a_pc.jpg

Rob

Wow, that was a pricey item for that era. That amount in 1950 dollars
would be the equivalent of about $205 today.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
[...]

Hi Rob,
This probably has nothing to do with you, but you may want to pass on to
Photobucket. Following is what Norton says:

Threat Report

Total threats found: 4

Viruses

Threats found: 4
Here is a complete list:
Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281
Location: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...hilly/5555.gif

Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281
Location: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ink__heart.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...000a8c0dya.gif

Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281
Location:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...o_negative.gif

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Hi Rob,
This probably has nothing to do with you, but you may want to pass on to
Photobucket. Following is what Norton says:

Sorry about the problems, I sent your information to Photobucket and will
let you know what they say. The links that you posted weren't to any of my
albums, not sure how that would cause an issue. I'm not using Norton and
haven't gotten any virus notices. Was it one of my links in particular that
gave the warning?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

12 holes on the tophttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic3nb.jpg

4.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

Rob

Rob,
Got something to send to you for the "What is it?" but don't have your
correct email. Mine is good, please reply to me.
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Hi Rob,
This probably has nothing to do with you, but you may want to pass on to
Photobucket. Following is what Norton says:

Sorry about the problems, I sent your information to Photobucket and will
let you know what they say. The links that you posted weren't to any of
my albums, not sure how that would cause an issue. I'm not using Norton
and haven't gotten any virus notices. Was it one of my links in particular
that gave the warning?

Rob

It does not seem to be your photos. Apparently Norton does a quick scan of
the entire site and puts up a fear and loathing message for the issues it
finds. Be the same thing as one or two YouTube videos with viruses. What it
says is that Photobucket is not real careful when they inspect uploads.
Perhaps they don't inspect them at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

It does not seem to be your photos. Apparently Norton does a quick scan of
the entire site and puts up a fear and loathing message for the issues it
finds. Be the same thing as one or two YouTube videos with viruses. What
it says is that Photobucket is not real careful when they inspect uploads.
Perhaps they don't inspect them at all.

Sounds like this theory is probably correct, Photobucket is the most popular
image hosting site on internet, hopefully they will be able to get this
problem cleaned up.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

O.K. The images are confused a bit by whatever was in the
background. So I have some questions:

1) Is there a hole through the stems.

2) Do the tops come off? It looks like it might be a ground-glass
stopper fit with silicone vacuum grease making it appear to be
a single piece.

3) Is the bottom rim a ground glass surface?

If the answer to all three of these is "yes", than I think that
what you have here is a lab manifold for connecting a single
vacuum source (coming through a cast iron or steel plate) and
connecting it to up to five different objects which need the
vacuum. (If less than five are in use at a time, the caps from
question (2) are left on the unused fittings.

On Saturday I sent your questions to the owners of the items, I'll post
their replies when I hear back.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I heard back from Photobucket concerning Norton's virus warning, here is
their reply:

"We've tested all of the images/links that Norton was giving that warning
for, they are all fine on our end, the 'bloodhound exploit' error gives us
reason to believe that Norton may be creating false-positives here due to
elements in the image files themselves."

So the bottom line is that there are not any viruses connected to any of my
images.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to
the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

Rob

I can remember wearing a motorcycle helmet with a face shield to milk
goats because some horns looked hazardous to my eyes if the goat turned
its head. I was also wary of getting poked in the abdomen while
catching goats in a pen.

Dehorning may be injure an animal, and horns may grow back. Besides,
horns can discourage menacing dogs. A horn that was no sharper than a
broomstick would be less hazardous. Could this tool have been to remove
the point from the horn of a kid or calf?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Often young bulls are de-horned when they are young.
They tend to but heads and explore their push strength...

In feed pens it is also done. Don't want a lot of cut up cows
or gored cowboys or their horses.

It is just smart. Naturally a paste is applied on the open end
that helps kill any fungus or fly.

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/8/2010 6:54 PM, J Burns wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to
identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on
to the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic4n.jpg

Rob

I can remember wearing a motorcycle helmet with a face shield to milk
goats because some horns looked hazardous to my eyes if the goat turned
its head. I was also wary of getting poked in the abdomen while catching
goats in a pen.

Dehorning may be injure an animal, and horns may grow back. Besides,
horns can discourage menacing dogs. A horn that was no sharper than a
broomstick would be less hazardous. Could this tool have been to remove
the point from the horn of a kid or calf?

AVG antivirus new edition [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 5th 08 11:24 AM
What is it? (Unofficial edition) Andy Woodworking 2 May 31st 07 07:30 AM
Seventeenth edition Andy Wade UK diy 36 November 23rd 06 01:34 PM
FOR SALE: Limited Edition Lord of the Rings Anduril Sword with special edition mirror wall mount #1295 of 3000. No original packaging, but in perfect condition. Josh Barrington Metalworking 2 November 29th 05 09:51 AM
Well, that was a fun weekend! Let's see what next weekend brings!( longish ) Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 2 October 25th 04 08:16 PM