Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 5

I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler plant
for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent would be
easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

20. Around 48" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20c.jpg

21. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic21.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

You got me. I looked at all the pictures, and nothing familiar to me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rob H." wrote in message
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple
years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler
plant
for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent would
be
easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

20. Around 48" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20c.jpg

21. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic21.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple
years ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler
plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent
would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

20. Around 48" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20c.jpg

21. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic21.jpg

Rob

20. No Idea, but it was fun to see those wooden cheese boxes on the table.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

20 - Guessing: A probe for locating pipe, or some other object,
underground.

Jeff may have hit onto something. Are the cheese boxes a clue? Does
it possibly have something to do with cheese processing/making?

The wooden handle appears to be relatively clean... no stains or dirt
from utility use.

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
20 - Guessing: A probe for locating pipe, or some other object,
underground.

Jeff may have hit onto something. Are the cheese boxes a clue? Does
it possibly have something to do with cheese processing/making?

The wooden handle appears to be relatively clean... no stains or dirt
from utility use.

Sonny

Nope , it's a ground probe . Used to find soft areas (among other uses) to
locate a leaky water pipe . I had never seen one until just a couple of
weeks ago , the guy I've been working with (rental mtce.) had one in his
truck , and I asked ...

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

My guess is that #19 is a variation of this patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=1292450

Which Jasper Fisher called an "exhaust head". Kind of a steam trap with no
moving parts.
It is a gizmo to catch and separate the water and oil in steam exhaust so it
doesn't just get puked into the air.

Paul K. Dickman

"Rob H." wrote in message
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler
plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent
would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

20. Around 48" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20c.jpg

21. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic21.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 9/25/10 10:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler
plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent
would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

The Fisher Governor Company began with an invention in 1880. Its primary
interest was to regulate pipe pressure by regulating pumps, regulating
fuel, or relieving pressure. It also made devices to remove gases from
liquids.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

20. Around 48" long:

Is a "Tile Probe", used to probe the ground to look for stuff.

http://www.ams-samplers.com/itemgroup.cfm?CNum=58
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
My guess is that #19 is a variation of this patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=1292450

Which Jasper Fisher called an "exhaust head". Kind of a steam trap with no
moving parts.
It is a gizmo to catch and separate the water and oil in steam exhaust so
it doesn't just get puked into the air.

Paul K. Dickman

Thanks! I think you're right, it might even be the actual patent, I've seen
a number of tools with inaccurate patent dates, two of the three date
numbers are the same so it could have been changed by a typo, bad memory, or
other error.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
20. Around 48" long:

Is a "Tile Probe", used to probe the ground to look for stuff.

http://www.ams-samplers.com/itemgroup.cfm?CNum=58

As Snag also mentioned, this is correct, the person selling it said that it
was a probe for finding drainage tiles.

Jeff had mentioned the cheese boxes that could be seen in the same photo,
here is a better shot of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20d.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 9/25/10 10:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came
out of a boiler
plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I
thought the patent
would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

The Fisher Governor Company began with an invention in
1880. Its primary interest was to regulate pipe pressure
by regulating pumps, regulating fuel, or relieving
pressure. It also made devices to remove gases from
liquids.

That's quite the story about William Fisher! Thanks for
posting the link, eih?
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:14:16 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

20. Around 48" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20b.jpg

A conference table at a swap meet? ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:42:18 -0400, Rob H. wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
20. Around 48" long:

Is a "Tile Probe", used to probe the ground to look for stuff.

http://www.ams-samplers.com/itemgroup.cfm?CNum=58

As Snag also mentioned, this is correct, the person selling it said that
it was a probe for finding drainage tiles.

Jeff had mentioned the cheese boxes that could be seen in the same photo,
here is a better shot of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic20d.jpg

"Cheese Food?"

What does cheese eat, anyway? ;-P

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

18: I'm thinking this is for grease cups, a single stroke of the lever
gives
the cup one 'turn'

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is #18 for lapping valve seats ?

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

#21 looks like it may be a basket to hold parts for dipping in a parts
cleaner.
I used a similar one back when I worked in a sewing machine company in
the early 60s.
The parts had to be cleaned of a preservative coating before machining.
I do remember the cleaner was solvasol.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

Small engine valve lapping tool and a rather spiffy one at that; the
blade with the two prongs and the reciprocating action are a dead give-away.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

Small engine valve lapping tool and a rather spiffy one at that; the blade
with the two prongs and the reciprocating action are a dead give-away.

Good answer, it is indeed a valve lapping tool.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Rob H. wrote:
I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

18. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years
ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic18.jpg

looks like a lever-action hole cutter of some sort.

appears to have about a 1" diamond-point bit. For going through bark, etc.
to install a sap tap on a sugar maple?

If I was in a facituous mood, I'd suggest it was for _miniture_ golf greens.

19. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler plant
for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent would be
easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic19.jpg

"Fisher Controls" is still in Marhalltown, Iowa. Drop them a line.
They're a big player in electical/pneumatic/hydraulic control systems

It's probably associated with a medium-to-high pressure steam system.

Possibly some sort of over-pressure relief valve.

Possibly a pressure-transformer.

Probably "something else". grin