Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gripper?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:14:59 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

If I were in the market for a saw and the price between the SawStop and
the major brands was less than 50% or so, I'd go SawStop. The quality
Appears better and there is that peace of mind ...

You are the second to say that the quality of sawstop is better. I am
surprised at that.

What other saws are you comparing sawstop to, saying the quality is
superior?

Looking at them today (business in Atlanta - must play with toys). I think
the SawStop is every bit as good as the new Unisaw. I don't think either is
worth twice an old Unisaw, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:31:25 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

"Now" is not 18 months ago. ;~) And perhaps what I should have mentioned
was that that TS being manufacutred "now" whould have the riving knife, as
have been told. Basically it is very easy to buy a new saw with a riving
knife now with out having to go to a specific brand in particular. There
may be exceptions to the rule.
BTY the "latest" Unisaw that appeared last year, the one with 2 controll
wheels on the front, has a riving knife. Jet has had one for about 2-3
years, Powermatic introduced it with the 2000 model.

Yes, but they're still selling the older Unisaurs. I don't believe
they've
retrofitted a riving knife. I don't see one, anyway:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11143

Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was
introduced and mandated by the government to be use on all saws.... I
wonder who the SOB was that came up with that absurd thing ;~)

Got a cite for the "mandate"?

No. Is there an option to buy a saw with out the guard? I highly suspect
the government has been involved in some way.
As a majority of users do not use the guard....

My bet is that it's their lawyers who have made this decision, not a
government mandate.3

Some way or another the manufacturers are being convinced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:41:50 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:52:45 -0500, "Leon" wrote:
The Gripper and "their" splitter addresses this.

We'll see. I ordered a pair. The price was right.

Seriously I too was skeptical for some time but now I would not want to be
with out them. I truly think you will be happy with them. If you can get
your hands on their DVD it has a world of suggested uses that make certain
things possible.

Yes, I plan on watching it. I've been looking at these things for some time,
often scratching my head wondering how they were supposed to be used. ;-) I
think the DVD comes with the widget. If not, it's a freebie on their site.
When they went on sale I thought I'd ask here. Seems like a pretty unanimous
endorsement, here, so I took the plunge. Kinda like FesteringTools. ;-)

I have not see all of the on-line videos on the site, perhaps they cover the
gambit.

Will do. I'm waiting to until I have one in my mitts so I can play with it
while watching.

Thanks all!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Ever hear of OSHA????

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9837

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Now" is not 18 months ago. ;~) And perhaps what I should have
mentioned
was that that TS being manufacutred "now" whould have the riving
knife, as I
[...]

1910.213(s)(14)

Operators shall not ride the carriage of a veneer slicer.

Damn ... took all the fun out it!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your school doesn't have 3 phase voltage to the shop?

On 8/17/2010 7:12 PM, Morgans wrote:
wrote

Less than 10%, that's all??

To be compeditive I would certanly bite. I thought initiallly it was
going to add 25% to the cost of the saw.

I would be happy to pay 6% extra for the saw stop function.

I would not buy the saw stop company saw because of the features it is
lacking.

I want at minnimum a 12" blade, and at least 5 HP motor.

Also, my school is wired with 208 voltage. If the saw motor is not wound
for 208 instead of 230, you get a motor that does not put out rated power
and overheats pretty fast, because it runs drawing many more amps that it is
supposed to. Not good for those projects where students are waiting in a
line to use the table saw. Constant use with the wrong voltage motor will
cause the thermal protection to trip at the drop of a hat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:41:50 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

. ..
wrote:
The Gripper and "their" splitter addresses this.

We'll see. I ordered a pair. The price was right.

Seriously I too was skeptical for some time but now I would not want to be
with out them. I truly think you will be happy with them. If you can get
your hands on their DVD it has a world of suggested uses that make certain
things possible.

Yes, I plan on watching it. I've been looking at these things for some
time,
often scratching my head wondering how they were supposed to be used. ;-)
think the DVD comes with the widget. If not, it's a freebie on their
site.
When they went on sale I thought I'd ask here. Seems like a pretty
unanimous
endorsement, here, so I took the plunge. Kinda like FesteringTools. ;-)

Except affordable ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Your school doesn't have 3 phase voltage to the shop?

----------
208Y/120 is 3 phase.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:08:03 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft, but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11143

Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was
introduced and mandated by the government to be use on all saws.... I
wonder who the SOB was that came up with that absurd thing ;~)

Got a cite for the "mandate"?

No. Is there an option to buy a saw with out the guard? I highly suspect
the government has been involved in some way.
As a majority of users do not use the guard....

My bet is that it's their lawyers who have made this decision, not a
government mandate.3

Some way or another the manufacturers are being convinced.

There is a difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote

Your school doesn't have 3 phase voltage to the shop?

Good point.

Yes, it does, but there is a problem putting more 3 phase machines in place
because of:
1) lack of space in the wire pull trough installed underneath the concrete.
(slab on grade)
2) even more of a problem is the lack of space in the breaker panel for
another 3 phase breaker.
3) lack of money for schools to spend on adding more panels or more wire
pull space or otherwise updating electrical service. I am lucky to get
enough money for an occasional new piece of machinery and other needed
supplies for the shop.

The school district was ripped off by the contractor when the school was
built. That and the inpecting of the work done and acceptance inspecting
blew it. I am told that when they moved in to the school, they plugged a
piece of equipment in, and found it would not turn on. They went to the
breaker panel to check if the breaker had not been turned on, or was tripped
off. They opened the panel cover door, and found that there were no
breakers or wire installed from the panel to the saw stations. The
contractor was already paid and gone, and they never went after them to
complete the work. Perhaps that was how the work was speced. I don't know.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:08:03 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if
you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft,
but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years Biesemeyer
has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including
the Unisaws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
wrote in message

Snip

Yes, I plan on watching it. I've been looking at these things for some
time,
often scratching my head wondering how they were supposed to be used.
;-) I
think the DVD comes with the widget. If not, it's a freebie on their
site.
When they went on sale I thought I'd ask here. Seems like a pretty
unanimous
endorsement, here, so I took the plunge. Kinda like FesteringTools. ;-)

Except affordable ...

Hey you have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Festool sells several non corded tools that are as useful as the Gripper and
less expensive. Sanding blocks, tape measures, clamps. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/18/2010 9:22 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:08:03 -0500, wrote:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if
you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft,
but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years Biesemeyer
has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including
the Unisaws.

Just FWIW, a riving knife is part of the new guard you get with the
recall on Craftsman radial arm saws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:22:51 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:08:03 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if
you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft,
but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years Biesemeyer
has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including
the Unisaws.

$171 Yikes! Maybe, though. I'd use it a lot more than the full guard, which
not only a PITA to install but makes life more difficult than it needs to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:52:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 8/18/2010 9:22 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:08:03 -0500, wrote:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if
you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft,
but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years Biesemeyer
has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including
the Unisaws.

Just FWIW, a riving knife is part of the new guard you get with the
recall on Craftsman radial arm saws.

I thought you got $150 in exchange for the motor? My Crapsman has a splitter
and plaws. How is the riving knife better?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gripper?

I hardly know her!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:53:28 -0400, Nova wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:42:39 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

IIRC, he first tried to get the government to pass legislation requiring
his device on all table saw sold in the US. When that failed he started
producing his own table saws.

IIRC he offered the license and when he was turned down went to the
government. Now I am guessing that most the manufacturers wish that they
had done otherwise. Anyway probably as a result most manufacturers began
offering riving knives and marginally better guards. Now I believe all saws
have to have the riving knives.

Since when? My 18-month-old Unisaur doesn't have a riving knife. They're
still selling them.

Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was
introduced and mandated by the government to be use on all saws.... I
wonder who the SOB was that came up with that absurd thing ;~)

Got a cite for the "mandate"?

I don't think a riving knife is mandatory but I believe in 2009
Underwriters Laboratories required a table saw to be equipped with a
riving knife to obtain certification under UL 987 Section 42.3.

That makes a lot more sense. UL compliance is completely voluntary, so it's
in no way a "mandate". ...not that I wouldn't put it past Congress or their
bureaucratic minions to do such a thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like a great description for a great date!

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Gripper?

I hardly know her!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:22:51 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if
you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at
Woodcraft,
but
I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years
Biesemeyer
has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including
the Unisaws.

$171 Yikes! Maybe, though. I'd use it a lot more than the full guard,
which
not only a PITA to install but makes life more difficult than it needs to
be.

Yes, it is pricey but it does solve problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it is in the "must think about" range. I do hate taking the factory
guard on and off, though. This would solve that problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Gripper?

I hardly know her!

Go out there and win this one for the Gripper!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

it

Yes, it is pricey but it does solve problems.

Yes, but it is in the "must think about" range. I do hate taking the
factory
guard on and off, though. This would solve that problem.

Did you happen to see the MJ Splitter at the Gripper site. Simple small
much less expensive, unless you compare pound for pound. ;~)

I have the Steel version as the "plastic" only version did not hold up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 8:17*am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

it

Yes, it is pricey but it does solve problems.

Yes, but it is in the "must think about" range. *I do hate taking the
factory
guard on and off, though. *This would solve that problem.

Did you happen to see the MJ Splitter at the Gripper site. *Simple small
much less expensive, unless you compare pound for pound. *;~)

I have the Steel version as the "plastic" only version did not hold up.

Sure, I'm on the second set of plastic MJ splitters. I broke the
first set within days of installing them and I'm confident I can do it
again so I bought a set of the "steel" splitters on my trip to Atlanta
Tuesday (hadn't seen the steel version before). The kick plaws of the
Biesemeyer splitter are very attractive, though. I could retire the
stock guard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 11:58*pm, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Gripper?

I hardly know her!

Go out there and win this one for the Gripper!

....a lot better than losing one without a Gripper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Aug 19, 8:17 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

it

Yes, it is pricey but it does solve problems.

Yes, but it is in the "must think about" range. I do hate taking the
factory
guard on and off, though. This would solve that problem.

Did you happen to see the MJ Splitter at the Gripper site. Simple small
much less expensive, unless you compare pound for pound. ;~)

I have the Steel version as the "plastic" only version did not hold up.

Sure, I'm on the second set of plastic MJ splitters. I broke the
first set within days of installing them and I'm confident I can do it
again so I bought a set of the "steel" splitters on my trip to Atlanta
Tuesday (hadn't seen the steel version before). The kick plaws of the
Biesemeyer splitter are very attractive, though. I could retire the
stock guard.

I have actually had the steel set for about 3- 4 years. Oddly I only saw
them at the WW show and they were only suggested to me after I mentioned
that the all plastic ones did not hold up. It also seems that the steel
ones only recently showed up on the web site.
A word of caution, if the steel ones fit tightly don't use a hammer to tap
them in. The plastic is more brittle, will fracture, and chip off. Use a
dry lube on the holes if necessary.

Additionally, with the removable Biese splitter, you can not run the Gripper
directly over the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 9:12*am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 19, 8:17 am, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

it

[...]

Ah, good point. I wouldn't have thought of that until...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Additionally, with the removable Biese splitter, you can not run the
Gripper
directly over the blade.

Ah, good point. I wouldn't have thought of that until...

I meant to only bring that up as something to think about. The Biese
splitter will not be an issue with the Gripper if you are ripping wider than
the Gripper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:28:33 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message

Additionally, with the removable Biese splitter, you can not run the
Gripper
directly over the blade.

Ah, good point. I wouldn't have thought of that until...

I meant to only bring that up as something to think about. The Biese
splitter will not be an issue with the Gripper if you are ripping wider than
the Gripper.

Yes, it certainly is something to think about. Thanks! I decided to buy a
pair of Grippers just *for* the narrow work, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

Like a fender on a car parts are replacable. ;~)- Hide quoted text -

Scrap wood bin. Cost = negligable to nothing.

That is what I use'ta say...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

They were advertised at $41.99 in the Peachtree emailing recently, though
they're back-ordered. The parts are replaceable, though also not cheap.

Keep in mind also, typically you don't damage a part with a single cut. It
takes several cuts before you may consider replacing a part.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:41:28 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

They were advertised at $41.99 in the Peachtree emailing recently, though
they're back-ordered. The parts are replaceable, though also not cheap.

Keep in mind also, typically you don't damage a part with a single cut. It
takes several cuts before you may consider replacing a part.

Sure, I expected that. It seems that some don't mind their Gripper being
sacrificial.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 20, 8:02*am, Swingman wrote:
On 8/19/2010 11:03 PM, wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:41:28 -0500, *wrote:

*wrote in message
. ..

They were advertised at $41.99 in the Peachtree emailing recently, though
they're back-ordered. *The parts are replaceable, though also not cheap.

Keep in mind also, typically you don't damage a part with a single cut.. *It
takes several cuts before you may consider replacing a part.

Sure, I expected that. *It seems that some don't mind their Gripper being
sacrificial.

It's "sacrificial" nature is the reason why I use mine. Better it, than
me.

I guess the issue is whether people would sacrifice the Gripper for
the cut (plan on notching it), or not. The whole saw could be
sacrificed for my hand, if it would help.

Reusing gripper rods [email protected] UK diy 7 August 22nd 07 11:27 PM
where to get Easy Gripper? John UK diy 3 October 24th 06 07:33 PM
Carpet gripper JoeJoe UK diy 4 July 31st 05 10:07 AM
Grr-gripper question Sam Woodworking 54 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM
Carpet, underlay and gripper fun! Ric UK diy 19 October 8th 04 09:14 AM