Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gripper?

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:31:25 -0500, "Leon" wrote:
"Now" is not 18 months ago. ;~) And perhaps what I should have mentioned
was that that TS being manufacutred "now" whould have the riving knife, as
have been told. Basically it is very easy to buy a new saw with a riving
knife now with out having to go to a specific brand in particular. There
may be exceptions to the rule.
BTY the "latest" Unisaw that appeared last year, the one with 2 controll
wheels on the front, has a riving knife. Jet has had one for about 2-3
years, Powermatic introduced it with the 2000 model.

Yes, but they're still selling the older Unisaurs. I don't believe
they've
retrofitted a riving knife. I don't see one, anyway:

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it
either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if you
don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11143

Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was
introduced and mandated by the government to be use on all saws.... I
wonder who the SOB was that came up with that absurd thing ;~)
Got a cite for the "mandate"?
No. Is there an option to buy a saw with out the guard? I highly suspect
the government has been involved in some way.
As a majority of users do not use the guard....

My bet is that it's their lawyers who have made this decision, not a
government mandate.3

Some way or another the manufacturers are being convinced.

Ever hear of OSHA????

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9837