Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Gripper?

wrote in message
On Aug 19, 8:17 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:51:10 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

it

Yes, it is pricey but it does solve problems.

Yes, but it is in the "must think about" range. I do hate taking the
factory
guard on and off, though. This would solve that problem.

Did you happen to see the MJ Splitter at the Gripper site. Simple small
much less expensive, unless you compare pound for pound. ;~)

I have the Steel version as the "plastic" only version did not hold up.

Sure, I'm on the second set of plastic MJ splitters. I broke the
first set within days of installing them and I'm confident I can do it
again so I bought a set of the "steel" splitters on my trip to Atlanta
Tuesday (hadn't seen the steel version before). The kick plaws of the
Biesemeyer splitter are very attractive, though. I could retire the
stock guard.

I have actually had the steel set for about 3- 4 years. Oddly I only saw
them at the WW show and they were only suggested to me after I mentioned
that the all plastic ones did not hold up. It also seems that the steel
ones only recently showed up on the web site.
A word of caution, if the steel ones fit tightly don't use a hammer to tap
them in. The plastic is more brittle, will fracture, and chip off. Use a
dry lube on the holes if necessary.

Additionally, with the removable Biese splitter, you can not run the Gripper
directly over the blade.