Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:06:14 -0700, "gray asphalt" wrote:

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Cost? I noticed the same thing (needed a 7/16ths, so had to order it).
Sucks not having a woodworking store within 100mi.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"gray asphalt" wrote in message
news
I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

They are not used as much. Given a choice, I'd buy the kit without them.
I've never used those sizes so I'm not willing to pay for them just to have
around. I bought a cheap set to start with and have bough better quality
replacements for the sizes that I do use and wore out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 22:48:44 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"gray asphalt" wrote in message
news
I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

They are not used as much. Given a choice, I'd buy the kit without them.
I've never used those sizes so I'm not willing to pay for them just to have
around. I bought a cheap set to start with and have bough better quality
replacements for the sizes that I do use and wore out.

I'd tend to agree but the first one I needed was 7/16ths. Go figure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:09:38 -0500, "
wrote:

I'd tend to agree but the first one I needed was 7/16ths. Go figure.

Lots of ?/16 sizes here.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'd tend to agree but the first one I needed was 7/16ths. Go figure.

Lots of ?/16 sizes here.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240

Not in Blowes and HomeDespot. That's the point. I did get one from WoodCraft
(can't just order a drill bit...).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:53:31 -0500, "
wrote:

Not in Blowes and HomeDespot. That's the point. I did get one from WoodCraft
(can't just order a drill bit...).

Well, that's the idea isn't it? You have to buy in quantity if you
want to get anything approaching a decent cost per bit ratio. In any
event, if you're even just a marginal woodworker, a set of forstner
bits approaches the must-have threshold as far as I'm concerned.
Posted to rec.woodworking

gray asphalt wrote:
I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

If you want a set with both the 1/8th and 1/16th increment bits,
Rockler has this set:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...orstner%20bits

If you all ready have a set of bits with the 1/8th increments and just
need the 1/16th increments, there is this set from Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...orstner%20bits

I all ready had a set of Forstner bits and got the additional 1/16th
increment bits to fill things out. I think I got mine on sale, but
the regular price of $28 isn't too bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 9:06*pm, "gray asphalt" wrote:
I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 *7/16 *etc.

Same reason K-Mart's Dinnerware sets don't come with shrimp cocktail/
escargot forks?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:04:46 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

wrote:

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Cost? I noticed the same thing (needed a 7/16ths, so had to order
it).
Sucks not having a woodworking store within 100mi.

I want to feel guilty having a Woodcraft four miles from my front door, but
being able to pick up a ten dollar router bit makes up for it.

grumble

It's a *small* consolation that Woodcraft doesn't charge AL sales tax on mail
order. For pretty much the entire last year they've had free shipping, so
other than the wait it's not all bad. We go up to Birmingham or Atlanta every
couple of months so I can get my fix. Atlanta is an automatic triple play
(the car has memorized the Peachtree-to-Woodcraft-to-Rockler route .

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths. I bought
a Milwaukee set, very cheap. So far two of the bits work great,
really, but the third is dull and since it's 3/8 I wonder if i will
be able to sharpen it. I'm thinking about ordering another set
and combining the good from each and sending back the duds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to krw, Roycoola wrote:
You ever heard of Amazon, ebay, woodcraft, rocker, woodworkers supply,
grizzly, infinity, peachtree.........

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-505086-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 19:14:01 +0000, Roycoola
m wrote:

replying to krw, Roycoola wrote:
You ever heard of Amazon, ebay, woodcraft, rocker, woodworkers supply,
grizzly, infinity, peachtree.........

Thread from 2010.

Posted to rec.woodworking

om wrote:

replying to krw, Roycoola wrote:
You ever heard of Amazon, ebay, woodcraft, rocker, woodworkers supply,
grizzly, infinity, peachtree.........

Thread from 2010.

Yeah, and since 2010 I now have six very well stocked woodworking
stores within and hour's drive[*] - two Rockler, two Woodcraft,
Peachtree, and Highland. Of course, it's even easier to just have the
sizes needed.
[*] I moved. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths.

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling,
they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough
for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster,
and ride in dowel jigs straighter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 2:13:38 AM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths.

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling,
they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough
for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster,
and ride in dowel jigs straighter.

3/4" Forstner bits create the perfect hole in pumpkins for the insertion of electric Christmas
window candles through the back and for a hole to let the heat out of the top.

Less tearout than a spade bit causes in the soft material.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2019 1:13 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths.

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling,
they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough
for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster,
and ride in dowel jigs straighter.

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 10:47:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/5/2019 1:13 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths.

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling,
they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough
for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster,
and ride in dowel jigs straighter.

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They make exceptionally clean holes with little or no tear out, too.
Flat-bottom holes are their Forté, though. Think Euro-style door
hardware.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 7:10:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:

On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about...

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They make exceptionally clean holes with little or no tear out, too.
Flat-bottom holes are their Forté, though. Think Euro-style door
hardware.

Also filling a flat-bottom hole with hardwood dowel gives endgrain screws a place to bite.
Antique bedframes with captive nuts have to be chisel-mortised, but a modern barrel nut
fits a Forstner-drilled socket nicely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2019 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They're also able to drill a partial hole off the side of a piece of
material nearly impossible with others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 10:28:25 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/5/2019 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They're also able to drill a partial hole off the side of a piece of
material nearly impossible with others.

--

We should probably mention that there are different types of Forstner and
some types perform the aforementioned tasks (angles, etc.) better than

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2019 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They're also able to drill a partial hole off the side of a piece of
material nearly impossible with others.

--

We should probably mention that there are different types of Forstner and
some types perform the aforementioned tasks (angles, etc.) better than
others.

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...forstner-bits/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2019 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.

They're also able to drill a partial hole off the side of a piece of
material nearly impossible with others.

--

We should probably mention that there are different types of Forstner and
some types perform the aforementioned tasks (angles, etc.) better than
others.

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...forstner-bits/

You must be retired to have enough time to waste posting a comment that
doesn't make lick of sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2019 4:31 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

ʺThey are all the same!ʺ is the cruelest gallows humankind ever built.

- Lamine Pearlheart, on stereotypes and sweeping statements.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

Yes, the video was about boring, but not all that "Borring"

There are virtually millions and millions of Youtube videos on all
subjects. Some have no words at all. Some are excellent, some suck. If
you don't have enough common sense to apply some discretion to what you
choose to watch, that's your problem.

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it. For
example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner bits if
he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for the
Fesstool market.

If you are bored watching youtube videos, then there is always Dr.
Phil,Judge Judy, Real Housewives, dancing with the stars or the fake
news on TV.
--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

[...]

LOL I bought a large set 30+ years ago, a no name brand made in Austria.
I have used the 1-3/8" bit to cut countless hinge holes.

If you are bored watching youtube videos, then there is always Dr.
Phil,Judge Judy, Real Housewives, dancing with the stars or the fake
news on TV.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 11:41:24 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 8/7/2019 9:04 PM, wrote:

If you are bored watching youtube videos, then there is always Dr.
Phil,Judge Judy, Real Housewives, dancing with the stars or the fake
news on TV.

Or reading a book, or taking a hike, or going for a bike ride, or
visiting a Museum or Yosemite, or Monterey, or Santa Cruz, or San Francisco, or
Wine Country, or Gold Country, or Lake Tahoe, or Mammoth Mountain
or Bear Valley, or Bass Lake, or Pinnacles Nat Park, und so weiter.

Or working in the shop.

Way to much to do to waste it watching TV.

In just the past 3 years I've traveled from Western NY to Vermont,
Massachusetts, Nevada, California, Utah, Arizona, Oregon and more. I've
hiked in Bryce, Zion and along both the north and south rims of the
Grand Canyon. I swam in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans as well as in
the shadow of the Hoover Dam. I white water rafted the American River in
California (twice) and meandered peacefully through Horseshoe Bend on the
Colorado River. I got closer to a herd of Bison than I probably should have.

SWMBO and I average 3 miles of walking 4 days a week. I volunteer with the
local Soap Box Derby organization. I've built some bookcases, a bed, some
sweet speaker stands and few other things. I traveled to 2 other states to
help family members move. I do the vast majority of my own home repairs and
upgrades. SWMBO and I go to plays, festivals and art shows.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. I still work full time. Yet I somehow manage to
squeeze in some youtube, some TV and even some time here in the wRec.

That's why your assumption that I "must be retired" if I watch youtube
just didn't make a lick of sense. It's all about time management.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

Yes, the video was about boring, but not all that "Borring"

I can read what he wanted to get across, far faster. There were only
a few paragraphs worth of information in the whole video. Borrring. A
very quick web search brought up all sorts of really good information
on the same subject.

There are virtually millions and millions of Youtube videos on all
subjects. Some have no words at all. Some are excellent, some suck. If
you don't have enough common sense to apply some discretion to what you
choose to watch, that's your problem.

Some are good. I enjoyed some of the Garage Woodworking (or whatever
the name) videos. Some techniques benefit from video. THis wasn't
either good, nor did it have any information in it that wasn't better
presented as text (for anyone with a reading level above sixth grade,
anyway).

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it.

Absolutely no information that benefited from video and narration only
got in the way of any information.

For
example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner bits if
he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for the
Fesstool market.

You didn't learn much but I could have guessed that before you
answered.

If you are bored watching youtube videos, then there is always Dr.
Phil,Judge Judy, Real Housewives, dancing with the stars or the fake
news on TV.

Not my style but go ahead. If you can't read, I guess TeeVee is the
best you can do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

Yes, the video was about boring, but not all that "Borring"

I can read what he wanted to get across, far faster.

You do know that you can speed up youtube, in some cases up to twice
the normal speed, right?

I rarely watch any video at less than 1.5, often at 1.75.

There were only a few paragraphs worth of information in the whole video.

I wonder if you aren't just a little biased since you probably didn't learn
anything from that video. If a video has nothing to offer me that I don't
already know, I'd find it very boring also. My guess is that if you found an
article that relayed the same information that was in that video, you'd be
just as bored. If the article was "shorter", you'd simply be bored sooner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2019 10:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 9:09:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

There were only a few paragraphs worth of information in the whole video.

I wonder if you aren't just a little biased since you probably didn't learn
anything from that video. If a video has nothing to offer me that I don't
already know, I'd find it very boring also. My guess is that if you found an
article that relayed the same information that was in that video, you'd be
just as bored. If the article was "shorter", you'd simply be bored sooner.

I'm betting he had no clue what a wavy Forstner Bit was, or that Fisch
made them in high quality sets...

Personally I love Youtube, but don't watch much wood working videos
because after 60 years of woodworking, I have to watch a lot of boring
and inaccurate stuff to learn something new. I tend to watch stuff I
don't know, or always wanted to do. I like watching machinist do their
thing, heavy equipment operators, tree climbers, saw mills, and so on.
Being retired, and old and decrepit, I have lots of free time when not
doing something constructive. Even when I worked full time, and spent
most of my free time in the shop, I still had time for TV, not much, but
now I have plenty.

Fools that say they have no time for it seem to waste a lot of it on
this silly, mostly "borrrrrring" newsgroup...
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2019 2:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/8/2019 9:11 AM, Jack wrote:

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it.
For example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner
bits if he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for
the Fesstool market.

LOL I bought a large set 30+ years ago, a no name brand made in Austria.
I have used the 1-3/8" bit to cut countless hinge holes.

I have two sets, large and small, both cheap I reckon (compared to Fisch
for sure). Both I've had and used for at least 20 years. The large set
has 2 bits that were dull from day one, the rest are sharp as it gets,
and have lasted.

I don't use them constantly though, but they are WAY better than NOT
owning a set. I'd love to own a set of Fisch, but can't justify the
cost, particularly now that I build much less than in the past. A set of
Fisch would last me at least until I'm 150-200 years old...

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

[...]

Some, many, well most, YouTube video's are worthless, especially with
woodworking. Every one is a woodworking genius these days, because he
or she has a YouTube video.
I just saw one a couple of days ago indicating a jig that every one must
build. No hints until he actually let you see this first of its kind
jig. Then just a picture and no video would have been enough for
anyone. The video should have been titled, "It tool me this long to
figure this out and what most every other woodworker probably has built.."

Don't get me wrong, I like YouTube, there is some very good advice
out there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 7:59 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

and inaccurate stuff to learn something new.Â* I tend to watch stuff I
don't know, or always wanted to do.

+1

Although I do like to watch a few people that are new but willing to
take on big projects. Have you ever watched April Wilkinson? Obvious a
beginner but not afraid to get her hands dirty and tackle a project of
most any size. She built, with help, a huge shop in the Texas hill
country and a huge band saw for milling logs. And she is kinda cute.

I like watching machinist do their
thing, heavy equipment operators, tree climbers, saw mills, and so on.
Being retired, and old and decrepit, I have lots of free time when not
doing something constructive.Â* Even when I worked full time, and spent
most of my free time in the shop, I still had time for TV, not much, but
now I have plenty.

Fools that say they have no time for it seem to waste a lot of it on
this silly, mostly "borrrrrring" newsgroup...

;~)

Forstner bits SBH[_3_] Woodworking 6 November 10th 09 11:12 PM
Forstner bits Richard Evans Woodworking 39 July 2nd 08 06:11 AM
Forstner Bits P.Thorsted Woodworking 6 October 19th 06 06:19 AM
Forstner bits. Robatoy Woodworking 22 October 12th 06 01:55 PM
Forstner bits... Ted Woodturning 10 December 13th 03 02:07 PM