Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

On 8/8/2019 2:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/8/2019 9:11 AM, Jack wrote:

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it.
For example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner
bits if he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for
the Fesstool market.

LOL I bought a large set 30+ years ago, a no name brand made in Austria.
I have used the 1-3/8" bit to cut countless hinge holes.

I have two sets, large and small, both cheap I reckon (compared to Fisch
for sure). Both I've had and used for at least 20 years. The large set
has 2 bits that were dull from day one, the rest are sharp as it gets,
and have lasted.

I don't use them constantly though, but they are WAY better than NOT
owning a set. I'd love to own a set of Fisch, but can't justify the
cost, particularly now that I build much less than in the past. A set of
Fisch would last me at least until I'm 150-200 years old...

--
Jack