Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:04:46 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:06:14 -0700, "gray asphalt"
wrote:

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets
seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Cost? I noticed the same thing (needed a 7/16ths, so had to order
it).
Sucks not having a woodworking store within 100mi.

I want to feel guilty having a Woodcraft four miles from my front door, but
being able to pick up a ten dollar router bit makes up for it.

grumble

It's a *small* consolation that Woodcraft doesn't charge AL sales tax on mail
order. For pretty much the entire last year they've had free shipping, so
other than the wait it's not all bad. We go up to Birmingham or Atlanta every
couple of months so I can get my fix. Atlanta is an automatic triple play
(the car has memorized the Peachtree-to-Woodcraft-to-Rockler route .