Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

On 8/9/2019 8:25 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/8/2019 2:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/8/2019 9:11 AM, Jack wrote:

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it.
For example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner
bits if he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for
the Fesstool market.

LOL I bought a large set 30+ years ago, a no name brand made in Austria.
* I have used the 1-3/8" bit to cut countless hinge holes.

I have two sets, large and small, both cheap I reckon (compared to Fisch
for sure).* Both I've had and used for at least 20 years.* The large set
has 2 bits that were dull from day one, the rest are sharp as it gets,
and have lasted.

I don't use them constantly though, but they are WAY better than NOT
owning a set. I'd love to own a set of Fisch, but can't justify the
cost, particularly now that I build much less than in the past. A set of
Fisch would last me at least until I'm 150-200 years old...

I also like the German brand, Colt. I have never used their Forstner
bits but have a collection of their 5Star Twin brad point bits. They
never really took off, probably because of their cost.
In 1/4" and larger I can drill through a board with out a backer board
and you pretty much can not tell which side of the hole the bit started
on and which side it exited. No tear out at all. I keep them hidden. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:30:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 9:09:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 10:11:07 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 8/7/2019 9:04 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:57:52 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 8/6/2019 4:31 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much
rather read a text description.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just
_have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

Yes, the video was about boring, but not all that "Borring"

I can read what he wanted to get across, far faster.

You do know that you can speed up youtube, in some cases up to twice
the normal speed, right?

I rarely watch any video at less than 1.5, often at 1.75.

There were only a few paragraphs worth of information in the whole video.

I wonder if you aren't just a little biased since you probably didn't learn
anything from that video. If a video has nothing to offer me that I don't
already know, I'd find it very boring also. My guess is that if you found an
article that relayed the same information that was in that video, you'd be
just as bored. If the article was "shorter", you'd simply be bored sooner.

In this case, no. I didn't really know what they were "teaching", at
least not in detail. I found the links to the text descriptions far
more efficient than the link to the video. There wasn't really that
much information. It's not like a technique for making mortises (for
example), where a picture really is worth 1000 words.

Forstner bits SBH[_3_] Woodworking 6 November 10th 09 11:12 PM
Forstner bits Richard Evans Woodworking 39 July 2nd 08 06:11 AM
Forstner Bits P.Thorsted Woodworking 6 October 19th 06 06:19 AM
Forstner bits. Robatoy Woodworking 22 October 12th 06 01:55 PM
Forstner bits... Ted Woodturning 10 December 13th 03 02:07 PM