Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

On 8/5/2019 1:13 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 7:54:41 AM UTC-7, gray asphalt wrote:
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some
purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths.

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling,
they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough
for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster,
and ride in dowel jigs straighter.

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits
can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have
difficulty in doing.