larrymoencurly

Default Ryobi - lousy local warranty service, no parts in stock?

How good or bad is the Ryobi authorized service center in your area?

The one closest to me, Buck Brothers Lawnmower Service, in Glendale,
Arizona, doesn't even carry batteries for the most common Ryobi drills
and has to order them. That wasn't a problem for me because I have a
spare battery and use my drill only around the house, but anyone who
needs their cordless drill for work may find this kind of warranty
service to be useless because down time is costlier than a new
battery. In comparison, the local DeWalt service center seems to have
almost everything in stock.

I asked Ryobi why they allowed their service centers to be so lousy,
and they told me that they don't set standards for them and that their
"master parts distributors" were responsible for overseeing their
service centers. This seems like a terrible way to maintain
standards.
Leon

I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership if they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Frank Ketchum

"Leon" wrote in message
om...
I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership if they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Damn, you beat me to it.

Frank

Scott Lurndal

"Leon" writes:
I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership if they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.

scott

(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

Toller

Bosch is no better. My router has to go to New Jersey for two weeks because
there is a loose connection in the switch.

Mark

Ya know BAD, sometimes you really are enjoyable to read.

Sometimes........
Mark

Bay Area Dave wrote:
"Teacher!! "[Arm waving vigorously] "Scotty is being naughty again! Make
him stop! Pleeeeese!"

dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"larrymoencurly" wrote in message

but anyone who
needs their cordless drill for work may find this kind of warranty
service to be useless because down time is costlier than a new
battery.

True, but real tradesman probably don't use Ryobi drill. I do, but I'm a
hobbyist.

In comparison, the local DeWalt service center seems to have
almost everything in stock.

And if not, Grainger has a parts department that carries DeWalt items.

I asked Ryobi why they allowed their service centers to be so lousy,
and they told me that they don't set standards for them and that their
"master parts distributors" were responsible for overseeing their
service centers. This seems like a terrible way to maintain
standards.

Sure does. You'd think they have some minimum for parts to be stocked,
especially batteries.
Ed

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

[...]

I'll be honest with you when Ryobi was the real Ryobi we carried every
common part, accessory, especially batteries, chargers & other regularly
requested items & tried to always have the fast moving items in stock at all
times, re-ordering the items sold weekly. We used to pride ourselves on
having every Ryobi brush, switch, wrenches etc etc but now it's hard when
bit by bit the unexpected items become obsolete & discontinued without a
prior warning.

Now we keep in stock only the bare necessities (many don't even bother to do
that), the distribution & management company here in Canada is very good at
maintaining a good stock themselves of available parts & accessories &
getting the items out to us fast, however Ryobi is only a small part of
their operation including many lines nothing to do with power tools at all.

We actually stock more Ryobi items than anyone else in our area for instance
in Battery chargers alone we carry 7 different Ryobi models, one or two of
each in stock at this moment. But that is our commitment to our customers &
nothing to do with Ryobi, someone coming to us for Ryobi items will probably
feel differently to you after getting good service.

My point is I 100% own my business & decided not to let Ryobi completely
fall by the wayside without a fight, many other Authorized Warranty Service
Centers have not maintained this commitment. In our case we get Techtronic,
Ridgid, Ryobi & McCulloch Parts & accessories all from this same distributor
(Yes I do know the hierarchy of those related) :-). Unlike some others I
feel my local customers who have come to rely on us over the years deserve
getting the best service from us that we can afford give.....that's it in a
nutshell.

As for overseeing...that's a joke!

Jon Down
J.D.Power Tool Canada.

Puff Griffis

Quite a few lawn mowers are made by MTD .
Puff

"Harry K" wrote in message =
om...
Bay Area Dave wrote in message =

.com...
"Teacher!! "[Arm waving vigorously] "Scotty is being naughty again!=20
Make him stop! Pleeeeese!"
=20
dave
=20
Scott Lurndal wrote:
=20
"Leon" writes:
=20
I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership =

if they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

=20
=20
Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.
=20
scott
=20
(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

=20
Re-hint. Ryobi also sells lawnmowers. Is that a 'all' ryobi center
or just 'lawn-garden' service center? Does Ryobi really build
anything? I bought a Ryobi mower that is really an MTD.
=20
Harry K

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership if
they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.

scott

(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

Re-hint. Ryobi also sells lawnmowers. Is that a 'all' ryobi center
or just 'lawn-garden' service center? Does Ryobi really build
anything? I bought a Ryobi mower that is really an MTD.

Harry K

If you say it often enough does it become so?

--
© Jon Down ®

Greg O

"larrymoencurly" wrote in message
om...
How good or bad is the Ryobi authorized service center in your area?

The one closest to me, Buck Brothers Lawnmower Service, in Glendale,
Arizona, doesn't even carry batteries for the most common Ryobi drills
and has to order them.

Having been on the business side of the counter too, I wonder how many
batteries this service center sells in a year. Maybe not enough to stock
then. It is also possible his main Ryobi sevice is lawn equipment, probably
does little power tool business. At any rate I do believe if this service
center sells many batteries, they would be in stock.
Do you expect that the service center should stock every part that someone
may need?
Greg

Leon

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message news:dH19c.15000

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.

scott

(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

Since Ryobi markets lawn and garden products and the LAWN MOWER SERVICE
business probably does not stock or sell wood working tools, it would seem
to be common since that those parts may not be stocked. You might want to
think about that for a moment. Authorized service center or not, you don't
stock items that you do not sell.

PAROADHOG

Bosch is no better. My router has to go to New Jersey for two weeks because
there is a loose connection in the switch.

Two weeks in Eewwww Jersey? What'd the poor thing ever do to deserve that ?
Harry K

"P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4" wrote in message ...
I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car dealership if

they
would have parts for the mower?
Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.

scott

(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

Re-hint. Ryobi also sells lawnmowers. Is that a 'all' ryobi center
or just 'lawn-garden' service center? Does Ryobi really build
anything? I bought a Ryobi mower that is really an MTD.

Harry K

If you say it often enough does it become so?

Dunno what happened there. I hit send once and got a bunch of
gibberish so just went on. I assumed it didn't even post

Harry K
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message news:dH19c.15000

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Re-read the original
post.

scott

(Hint: The lawnmower service also happens to be an Authorized
Ryobi service facility).

Since Ryobi markets lawn and garden products and the LAWN MOWER SERVICE
business probably does not stock or sell wood working tools, it would seem
to be common since that those parts may not be stocked. You might want to
think about that for a moment. Authorized service center or not, you

don't
stock items that you do not sell.

There are three categories of Ryobi authorized service centers, Power Tool
Service, Lawn & Garden Equipment Service & both. most are totally separate
operations & would only stock the related items to their category, a few are
both however all would have access to parts & accessories from both types
(we do anyway). We are set up as just power tools service but often order
Ryobi lawn & garden items for our customers even though we would never think
of keeping them in stock, we sometimes service electric or cordless lawn &
garden tools but technically we don't have to. We do not worry too much
about being competitive when selling lawn & garden items and usually sell
them at full list to cover the extra effort special ordering them. We have
never had a complaint as it generally saves the customer a lot of running
about.

--
© Jon Down ®
My eBay items currently listed:

larrymoencurly

"Leon" wrote in message . com...

How good or bad is the Ryobi authorized service center
in your area?

The one closest to me, Buck Brothers Lawnmower Service,
in Glendale, Aizona, doesn't even carry batteries for the
most common Ryobi drills and has to order them.

I asked Ryobi why they allowed their service centers to be
so lousy, and they told me that they don't set standards
for them and that their "master parts distributors" were
responsible for overseeing their service centers.

I wonder if you took a Honda Lawn Mower to a Honda Car
dealership if they would have parts for the mower?

This is more like Honda Car insisting on having their cars serviced by
Honda Lawn Mower.

Did you buy the drill from the lawn mower shop?

Home Depot, which ended up taking care of this problem (whole new
drill kit because the old and new battery packs differed slightly).
Home Depot 1, Ryobi 0.
larrymoencurly

"Greg O" wrote in message ...

How good or bad is your Ryobi authorized service center?

The one closest to me, Buck Brothers Lawnmower Service,
in Glendale, Arizona, doesn't even carry batteries for the
most common Ryobi drills and has to order them.

Having been on the business side of the counter too, I wonder
how many batteries this service center sells in a year. Maybe
not enough to stock then. It is also possible his main Ryobi
sevice is lawn equipment, probably does little power tool business.

They're also listed as an authorized Ridgid tool service center, and
since batteries probably fail more than anything else and are
warranted for two years for Ryobis and 3-life for Ridgids, I'd think
that they'd get reimbursed for quite a few warranty replacements.
jack smith

i wanted to add to your thread about ridgid batteries, i already had
one ridgid 18 volt rapid max battery replaced after several months of
use/abuse, it took a month and came from a ryobi distribution center.
see my other rec.woodworking posts on the other issues i have had.

overall i am happy with my purchase of the rigid 4 pack of 18 volt
cordless tools, it would have been harder if i only had one battery i
would have been quite upset.

Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Jet tool service saga Bob Davis Woodworking 14 November 3rd 03 08:42 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM