Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Message Board

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me, however, I was quite active in
rec.woodworking a few years back. Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and
discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems
to be the norm nowadays. I started thinking that I really miss the
wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a
royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. I managed to hook up
with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.

What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it
over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free
and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics
very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is
totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the
hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do
this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After
all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's
on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up
in a very short order.

Please comment here and let me know. I'm particularilly interested in
hearing from the old farts that have been hanging out in the Wreck
since the beginning of recorded history!

Thanks much,
Jeff Picard

You can check out my old woodworking site at:
http://sawdustcentral.com
(this would become the new forum)

I also have a site devoted to odds and ends and silly stuff. If
you're interested you can check that out he
http://jeffpicard.com

Please visit my website: http://jeffpicard.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me,

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and
discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems
to be the norm nowadays.

I signed up with Astraweb. That was simple.

I started thinking that I really miss the
wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a
royal pain in the butt to access it anymore.

Sign up with a news provider and it is easy. It is amazing the number of
folks who think this is a big mystery and/or a difficult task.

I managed to hook up
with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.

As are we. Ain't nobody here 'cept us old farts.

And I like it just fine where I am, thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 1:45*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
wrote

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me,

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

So nice of you to make me feel so welcome Lee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Why re-invent the wheel.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I have only been around for about 10 years so I probably do not qualify but
I don't think you are going to get any serious commitments. If you want to
do this, do it for your own pleasure with out expectations and you will not
be disappointed. You are probably the 874,883,847 person to suggest this...
;~)
If you build a good site it shoud work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 1:05*am, wrote:
[...]

This is similar to asking the fellas at the buffalo log to start
meeting at your house because the drive is inconvenient for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 8:26*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

[...]

"buffalo lodge" not log. snicker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff P. wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:45 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
wrote

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me,

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

So nice of you to make me feel so welcome Lee.

Don't mind the ole farts. I mean you said it yourself,"ole farts". And you
know how ole farts can be, arrogant, nasty, and stubborn asses. Like my
sig says, you can lead an "old" horse to water but you can't make him
drink. Also many here that don't remember you probably think this fits in
the spam directory. Many here, have already tried woodworking forums and
don't like the restrictions put on them. That Saw Mill Site comes to mind.
Would rather have the freedom here of Off Topic and the occasional tilted
vulgar humor. Try it at your own risk. Just my opinion and you know what
they say about them....
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, thanks for the feedback. Nevermind, I guess. I appreciate all
of you taking the time to offer an opinion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 6:03*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Why re-invent the wheel.

Lew

Hi Lew,
I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup
services cost money. Most message boards are free.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 9:12*am, "Jeff P." wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:03*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Subject

Why re-invent the wheel.

Lew

Hi Lew,
I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! *Newsgroup
services cost money. *Most message boards are free.

Google Groups is free.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/topics
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff P." wrote in message
On Jan 25, 6:03 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Why re-invent the wheel.

Lew

Hi Lew,
I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup
services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going to
a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive"
news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are
way way less expensive than $3 per month.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jeff P. wrote:
I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup
services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Several no-cost news servers out there--

news.aioe.org
news.eternal-september.org

are two...I've been using the eternal-september site for a while now.
Other than no abpw and a little short on retention no complaints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Your fix is simple: Dump Verizon.

There is no requirement that the company that provides the physical wire
also be your ISP.

In our case, the wire belongs to Comcast and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink
provides Giganews at no additional cost.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:59:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as
USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly as
opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.

That's what I was going to say :-). I'm switching from dialup to cable
today, so I'll be searching for a news server as well. But I won't give
up on Usenet. Where else but the wreck could I keep up on the latest far
right fantasies :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff try www.teranews.com. One time set up fee of $4. They do have
some down time once and a while. But they work well in mozilla
Thunderbird e-mail / news reader.

Also see www.owwm.org

Mike in Ohio

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:00:59 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Your fix is simple: Dump Verizon.

There is no requirement that the company that provides the physical wire
also be your ISP.

In our case, the wire belongs to Comcast and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink
provides Giganews at no additional cost.

Are you pleased with Earthlink service? I had them years ago on dialup, and the service was
terrible. Giganews as their usenet feed would be great, so maybe it is time to look at changing
ISP's again. My current Comcast ISP high speed rate is $45 plus I pay $10/month to Easynews for
25gigs/month of Usenet, a lot of which I never use. I've got over 500 gigs banked. Comcast
terminates service if you use over 250 gigs in a month.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

In our case, the wire belongs to Comcast and our ISP is Earthlink.
Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional cost.

Same setup I have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2010 5:15 PM, Steve wrote:

Yeah, RoadRunner kinda sucks, but so do most of these de facto
monopolies. Anyboody using AT&T's U-verse? That's my only other
realistic option, but the sales people had no clue what "usenet" was.

At one time u-Verse customers were indeed allowed access SBCGlobal's
nntp servers, although I understand the retention time was so short as
to be not worth the effort.

Don't know if they still allow access, or if anyone at u-verse can even
spell nntp these days, but you may be able to ask he

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:05:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/25/2010 5:15 PM, Steve wrote:

Yeah, RoadRunner kinda sucks, but so do most of these de facto
monopolies. Anyboody using AT&T's U-verse? That's my only other
realistic option, but the sales people had no clue what "usenet" was.

At one time u-Verse customers were indeed allowed access SBCGlobal's
nntp servers, although I understand the retention time was so short as
to be not worth the effort.

Don't know if they still allow access, or if anyone at u-verse can even
spell nntp these days, but you may be able to ask he

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/

ATT stopped carrying newsgroups this past summer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:56:27 -0800, Evodawg wrote:

Jeff P. wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:45 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
wrote

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me,

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

So nice of you to make me feel so welcome Lee.

Don't mind the ole farts. I mean you said it yourself,"ole farts". And you
know how ole farts can be, arrogant, nasty, and stubborn asses. Like my
sig says, you can lead an "old" horse to water but you can't make him
drink. Also many here that don't remember you probably think this fits in
the spam directory. Many here, have already tried woodworking forums and
don't like the restrictions put on them. That Saw Mill Site comes to mind.
Would rather have the freedom here of Off Topic and the occasional tilted
vulgar humor. Try it at your own risk. Just my opinion and you know what
they say about them....

The biggest problem for these "outside" boards is that it simply means
that everyone has to follow two places, rather than one, to see all
conversations. Most questions have to be posted and answered in both
to make sure everybody gets them. It's just plain counter-productive
to have multiple places carrying mostly redundabnt posts.

Besides that the "outside" boards might embarrass you by correcting your
spelling.
And some tend to snip posts and that just sucks.

Max (let it all hang out)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2010 6:10 AM Jeff P. spake thus:

Well, thanks for the feedback. Nevermind, I guess. I appreciate all
of you taking the time to offer an opinion.

Well, thanks for the offer (really), but you know what they say: if it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, the infamous
scrawled the following:

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me, however, I was quite active in
rec.woodworking a few years back. Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and

I remember you, Jeff. I just came back after a hiatus, too. Are you
back to harass the locals like I am? Great!

discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems
to be the norm nowadays. I started thinking that I really miss the
wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a
royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. I managed to hook up
with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.

What, you don't like maturity?

What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it
over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free
and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics
very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is
totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the
hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do
this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After
all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's
on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up
in a very short order.

Please comment here and let me know. I'm particularilly interested in
hearing from the old farts that have been hanging out in the Wreck
since the beginning of recorded history!

I might stop by, but the Wreck is the place for me. I still love
Usenet, despite the asshole trolls and the idiots who respond to them
daily. I filter maybe 65% of the bloody messages, but you can't geet
the diversity of opinion or breadth of wisdom on a local board that
you can here.

http://fwd4.me/Cme Love it! Diversity Project at school...giggle

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:59:36 -0500, the infamous Ed Pawlowski
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, wrote:

What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it
over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free
and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics
very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is
totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the
hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do
this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After
all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's
on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up
in a very short order.

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as
USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly
as opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.

Precisely. Why don't message boards mimic the known efficiency of
Usenet on a local server, fer chrissake? They're all so bloody slow
and redundant. I haven't seen one yet where you could simply jump
from one message to the next without going back to the forum and
looking at the next subject, etc. Ghastly slow.

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:21:49 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Jeff P." wrote in message
On Jan 25, 6:03 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Why re-invent the wheel.

Lew

Hi Lew,
I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup
services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going to
a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive"
news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are
way way less expensive than $3 per month.

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as
hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush
hour, but accessible otherwise.

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going
a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive"
news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are
way way less expensive than $3 per month.

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as
hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush
hour, but accessible otherwise.

Can you point me to the free after sign up information? I have been using
Giganews for several months now and pay $3 monthly. And I have not noticed
any thing slow...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Kenefick" wrote in message
SBC dropped news groups a year or two ago.

Acutally I was using SBC news groups till March last year. Perhaps that was
in your area.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:37:42 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:56:27 -0800, Evodawg wrote:

Jeff P. wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:45 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
[...]

If you are that easily embarassed, or even worry about such things,
maybe usenet is the wrong place for you.

Whooosh!! LOL

Max (wouldn't miss it for anything)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2010 12:02 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as
hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush
hour, but accessible otherwise.

Been using Giganews for six years and have always been more than happy
with the service (also was a sysadmin for two nnttp servers in a
previous life, so appreciate the nuances of same and the way they do
their business.).

I do point Thunderbird to an ip address instead of "news.giganews.com",
so I don't have to deal with DNS issues, which some ISP's (like my
u-Verse home connection) seem to be having difficulty with lately. Might
want to try that and see if it helps.

In this case: 216.196.97.131 ...( which you may not see if you do an
nslookup since they do round robin).

Danger, of course, is if they change ip addresses in their zone file you
can't connect. So far that has never happened, but if so, simply go back
to the server name.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:00:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as
USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly as
opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.

Precisely. Why don't message boards mimic the known efficiency of
Usenet on a local server, fer chrissake? They're all so bloody slow and
redundant. I haven't seen one yet where you could simply jump from one
message to the next without going back to the forum and looking at the
next subject, etc. Ghastly slow.

I wonder if some of the old Fido code is still around? That might do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as
hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush
hour, but accessible otherwise.

I've had Giganews for years now. I haven't had any of the problems you speak
of.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:23:45 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:56:27 -0800, Evodawg wrote:

Jeff P. wrote:

On Jan 25, 1:45 am, "Lee Michaels"

wrote:
[...]

Well, you missed it this time.

There was no "whooosh"

Sigh.....
At my age, Sonny, I can't think of anything that might be embarrassing to
me.
And as for "missing", I was referring to Usenet. It's almost as much fun as
woodworking; I wouldn't miss it for anything.
I do "worry" about poor spelling though. Some of the more recent graduates
from our illustrious educational institutions can hardly spell their own
names.
By the way, have you ever heard of "Foghorn Leghorn"?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:
I do "worry" about poor spelling though. Some of the more recent
graduates from our illustrious educational institutions can hardly
spell their own names.

I'm convinced they can't and what is worse they don't care.

By the way, have you ever heard of "Foghorn Leghorn"?

As in Looney Tunes fame?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Max" wrote:
I do "worry" about poor spelling though. Some of the more recent
graduates from our illustrious educational institutions can hardly
spell their own names.

I'm convinced they can't and what is worse they don't care.

By the way, have you ever heard of "Foghorn Leghorn"?

As in Looney Tunes fame?

Lew

Yep. As in, "That's a joke, son, ah say, ah say, that's a joke".

The Salty Dog missed my "snerk".

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:56:44 -0600, the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:00:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as
USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly as
opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.

Precisely. Why don't message boards mimic the known efficiency of
Usenet on a local server, fer chrissake? They're all so bloody slow and
redundant. I haven't seen one yet where you could simply jump from one
message to the next without going back to the forum and looking at the
next subject, etc. Ghastly slow.

I wonder if some of the old Fido code is still around? That might do it.

RIME Rules, y'old farte!

---