Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Message Board

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:57:18 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going
a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive"
news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are
way way less expensive than $3 per month.

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as
hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush
hour, but accessible otherwise.

Can you point me to the free after sign up information? I have been using
Giganews for several months now and pay $3 monthly. And I have not noticed
any thing slow...

Oops, sorry. I meant to say TERAnews, not GIGA. I haven't used it for
awhile. I've been using Forte's APN at $2.95/mo for years.

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, wrote:

Hello all.
Nobody here probably remembers me, however, I was quite active in
rec.woodworking a few years back. Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and
discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems
to be the norm nowadays. I started thinking that I really miss the
wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a
royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. I managed to hook up
with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.

What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it
over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free
and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics
very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is
totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the
hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do
this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After
all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's
on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up
in a very short order.

Please comment here and let me know. I'm particularilly interested in
hearing from the old farts that have been hanging out in the Wreck
since the beginning of recorded history!

Thanks much,
Jeff Picard

You can check out my old woodworking site at:
http://sawdustcentral.com
(this would become the new forum)

I also have a site devoted to odds and ends and silly stuff. If
you're interested you can check that out he
http://jeffpicard.com

Please visit my website: http://jeffpicard.com

Already there are hundreds of woodworking message boards. A lot of
folks dropped off after ISPs took down their Usenet servers. This
happened to me, a 20-year AT&T customer. Rec.woodworking is still
very active, the most active newsgroup I read.

If your ISP doesnot support Usenet, you can still read/post using the
free server

news.eternal-September.org

No sign-up fee, no billings, no nags, completely free. Of course, it
does not support binaries but in this case, that can be a good thing
in keeping performace high for something that is free. The AT&T
servers worked 99% of the time. The Eternal-September server works 97%
of the time.