Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small but fun project.

I have been playing with some concepts.
The client wanted an oriental look.
I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs.
I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and
built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain
bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile
and wall paper/paint scheme.
I got to do the black wash and lacquer.
With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have been playing with some concepts.
The client wanted an oriental look.
I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs.
I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and
built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain
bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile
and wall paper/paint scheme.
I got to do the black wash and lacquer.
With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

Nice, very nice. I *like* it.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/10 4:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:
I have been playing with some concepts.
The client wanted an oriental look.
I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs.
I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and
built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain
bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile
and wall paper/paint scheme.
I got to do the black wash and lacquer.
With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

Excellent, but what else is new, coming from from you?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 5:37*pm, Robatoy wrote:
I have been playing with some concepts.
The client wanted an oriental look.
I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs.
I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and
built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain
bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile
and wall paper/paint scheme.
I got to do the black wash and lacquer.
With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

The matched mirror with that bamboo is a nice touch. I'm kind of
surprised they didn't opt for a matching bamboo back splash. The tile
doesn't quite do it for me.

You know you're supposed to (yes, it's required by law that covers any
international exchange of information and vanity) say how much you
charged for your services. It's not me - blame it on Homeland
Security. Custom computer carving, interior decorator...I'm guessing
they had a budget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...l.jpghttp://i1...

The matched mirror with that bamboo is a nice touch. *I'm kind of
surprised they didn't opt for a matching bamboo back splash. *The tile
doesn't quite do it for me.

Me neither. It's a 'decorator thing'. g

You know you're supposed to (yes, it's required by law that covers any
international exchange of information and vanity) say how much you
charged for your services. *It's not me - blame it on Homeland
Security. *Custom computer carving, interior decorator...I'm guessing
they had a budget.

The top was a remnant, the bowl off-shore, tap was their problem, so
was the paint and tile.
The client commissioned ,many projects over the years and always
compensated me properly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I had to figure it out, hence the delay in answering your question re
cost.
The mirror was $ 350.00, the rest $ 1800.00 (Not including tap, paint/
paper/wallsponge and all that rot. That was the decorator's dept.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

New guy here, still working on getting his dado joints to look tight..

Did I understand this properly?
{{I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry}}

You took a PICTURE of bamboo and got some CNC type machine to
mill another species so that it looks like the picture?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh. good.

I know I'm over my head with some of these guys here, but that was just
tooooo much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 11:21*am, Swingman wrote:
On 1/24/2010 10:05 AM, wrote:

New guy here, still working on getting his dado joints to look tight..

Did I understand this properly?
{{I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry}}

You took a PICTURE of bamboo and got some CNC type machine to
mill another species so that it looks like the picture?

I made the CAD drawing for my own purposes, but threw some paint and
textures at it to give the client a hint as to where I was going with
this.

The picture (grey scale) of the bamboo was reversed (inverted) in
PhotoShop and contrast and brightness adjusted so that Vectric Aspire
could use it as a bump-map. A bumpmap is an image where the 'high' of
a 3D machining toolpath is white and black is the 'low' of the 3D
machining toolpath.
The CNC then machines into a slab of cherry (in this case) the 3D
image staying within the thickness parameters.

He put together a PROPOSAL, using a CAD program, for a client so that
she could see what the design looked like in REAL life.

Nope, you're still problems with your Canuck/Texas translator. :-)

He apparently did such a _realistic_ job in the above PRESENTATION that
he got the job.

I already had the job. The client has many pieces of mine in her
house. An entire bedroom set with armoire/entertainment centre, a
complete kitchen and Corian top.
*I* don't think it is a _realistic_ presentation at all. As a matter
of fact, one could do this level of presentation in SketchUp. :-]

Then showed us pictures of the process, from design to finished project.

Translator seems to be working again.

Simple ... ya just gotta understand Canuck! *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 11:05*am, wrote:
New guy here, still working on getting his dado joints to look tight..

Did I understand this properly?
{{I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry}}

You took a PICTURE of bamboo and got some CNC type machine to
mill another species so that it looks like the picture?

If you mean "did I use the picture of the bamboo as a basis for a
toolpath for my CNC?" you'd be correct.
If you go to Vectric's website and look at the Aspire feature set, you
will find it.
A toolpath could cut the image of Swingman's nose out of aluminum, if,
for some unknown reason, I decided I would want to. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2010 11:49 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 24, 11:21 am, wrote:
On 1/24/2010 10:05 AM, wrote:

[...]

Hell, close enough for what passes for science today!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

So I *did* read it correctly.

Hmmm..... {feeling the slight slop in the floating panel of the cabinet
I've been a couple months building now}, is there a Newsnet group for the
rest of us?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 2:54*pm, wrote:
So I *did* read it correctly.

Hmmm..... * {feeling the slight slop in the floating panel of the cabinet
I've been a couple months building now}, is there a Newsnet group for the
rest of us?

You're here. That slight slop needs to be there. The panel is supposed
to float in order to deal with expansion/contraction.
Many here put SpeedBalls in the groove.
The CNC contingent is at best fringe in this newsgroup, so when it
comes to woodworking, there is always somebody here to help. Keep
checking the Google archives for this group, you'll be amazed what you
can dig up.

One the political front....... don't bother. G The libtards and the
rednecks are always at it, nobody will ever change (their minds). You
will also find some people here, whose posts *I* never open with a
mouth full of beverage lest I spray my monitor. With the exception of
a couple of sour-pusses, a crack-pot or two, most here are good-
natured people. Welcome and enjoy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh fer-sure. And, thank you. The "rest of us" comment probably should've
had one of those cutely winkycons behind it. I've been lurking here for
months but that machining cherry-into-bamboo thing floored me! Just the
sheer audacity of the thought--

I've built maybe half a dozen furniture projects in-- oh, like, the past 20
years... in my little 8x15 under-the-stairs shop. I dream of a real table
saw some nights.... ;-}}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:37:40 -0500, the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

I have been playing with some concepts.
The client wanted an oriental look.
I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs.
I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and
built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain
bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile
and wall paper/paint scheme.
I got to do the black wash and lacquer.
With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg

Ah, the newest look: only 2 legs! (and it can use only 2!)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg

The lovely bones! (kinda weird, wot?)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

Now figure out how to make the bump map curved for the bamboo's nodes,
the knuckles.

Very creative, Toy.

I love that goldy-red countertop. Wild! Brand and color?

--
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
The amount of work is the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 8:27*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg

Ah, the newest look: only 2 legs! *(and it can use only 2!)

I figured the wall would hold up the back.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg

The lovely bones! *(kinda weird, wot?)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

Now figure out how to make the bump map curved for the bamboo's nodes,
the knuckles.

I'm not sure I follow you here. *

Very creative, Toy.

Why thank you, C-less. :-)*

I love that goldy-red countertop. *Wild! *Brand and color?

That red is http://www.hanstoneusa.com/colors
Passion Red. The 'goldy' look is a incandescent light-balance issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:16:01 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Jan 24, 8:27*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Proposal.jpg

Ah, the newest look: only 2 legs! *(and it can use only 2!)

I figured the wall would hold up the back.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...amboomodel.jpg

The lovely bones! *(kinda weird, wot?)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...atoy/Wong1.jpg

Now figure out how to make the bump map curved for the bamboo's nodes,
the knuckles.

I'm not sure I follow you here. *

Your bump map was only 3D in 2 dimensions. Bamboo is curved, but your
node were flat on top. Note the nodes directly in line with the top of
the door pulls in wong2. The top of the nodes form rectangles which
are flat on top. http://fwd4.me/Clx flip the top pic sideways and
compare it to your finished bump map. See the curve on the nodes in
real bamboo? It's too bad your bump map couldn't simulate that
portion, too, is what I was saying. Close, but no cigar.

Very creative, Toy.

Why thank you, C-less. :-)*

Jewelcome.

I love that goldy-red countertop. *Wild! *Brand and color?

That red is http://www.hanstoneusa.com/colors
Passion Red. The 'goldy' look is a incandescent light-balance issue.

Ooh, the Mystic Blue is hot, too.

So, how fast do you go through router bits when cutting that crap with
the CNC, anyway?

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Goodness, no. I don't do big cuts in quartz on my CNC. That takes 10
HP, $ 3000.00 diamond bit-sets, a LOT of water and water treatment
facilities. Not only way out my league financially, but also not even
close to my radar screen. I'd need a forklift, loading dock, a beam
saw etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:37:51 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

OK.

So what were you cutting with the CNC? The lighthouse was made of
what? I thought it was a stone cutting. I know this bamboo cut was
cherry.

---