Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Small but fun project.

On Jan 24, 11:21*am, Swingman wrote:
On 1/24/2010 10:05 AM, wrote:

New guy here, still working on getting his dado joints to look tight..

Did I understand this properly?
{{I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then
created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry}}

You took a PICTURE of bamboo and got some CNC type machine to
mill another species so that it looks like the picture?

I made the CAD drawing for my own purposes, but threw some paint and
textures at it to give the client a hint as to where I was going with
this.

The picture (grey scale) of the bamboo was reversed (inverted) in
PhotoShop and contrast and brightness adjusted so that Vectric Aspire
could use it as a bump-map. A bumpmap is an image where the 'high' of
a 3D machining toolpath is white and black is the 'low' of the 3D
machining toolpath.
The CNC then machines into a slab of cherry (in this case) the 3D
image staying within the thickness parameters.

He put together a PROPOSAL, using a CAD program, for a client so that
she could see what the design looked like in REAL life.

Nope, you're still problems with your Canuck/Texas translator. :-)

He apparently did such a _realistic_ job in the above PRESENTATION that
he got the job.

I already had the job. The client has many pieces of mine in her
house. An entire bedroom set with armoire/entertainment centre, a
complete kitchen and Corian top.
*I* don't think it is a _realistic_ presentation at all. As a matter
of fact, one could do this level of presentation in SketchUp. :-]

Then showed us pictures of the process, from design to finished project.

Translator seems to be working again.

Simple ... ya just gotta understand Canuck! *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)