Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Abby Sunderland

On 1/16/2010 10:53 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Handy to get around harbors, in/out of berths, etc. Also nice on those days
when there *is* no wind.

Sometimes _weeks_ ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:57:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"
I know one thing. If I had to choose a companion for circumnavigation I'd
take Abby Sunderland or Jessica Watson over Leon any day. And I'd take
Abby's 18 year old brother over _anybody_ on this newsgroup.

I suspect we'd all appreciate it if you actually went on such a trip.
Oh, and make it as soon as possible will you?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 11:57*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote:

You're going on a dangerous and life threatening trip. You will be
taking one person with you that is experienced in this type of trip.
You haven't met either one of them before.

All you know is that one of them has five years experience and the
other has twenty years experience in this type of trip.

Which one are you going to ask to accompany you? Pick one and explain
your reasoning for that choice.

I'd flip a coin. *What the one person has done in five years may be
far superior to the person that has been exposed to this type of trip
for 20 years. *The more years experience "usually" translates into
being better equipped in a tough situation, but sometimes youth and
agility work better than wisdom and creaky joints. *Too many
variables here to pick a clear advantage.

I know one thing. *If I had to choose a companion for *circumnavigation I'd
take Abby Sunderland or Jessica Watson over Leon any day. *And I'd take
Abby's 18 year old brother over _anybody_ on this newsgroup.

You take them that old?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2010 10:57 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I know one thing. If I had to choose a companion for circumnavigation I'd
take Abby Sunderland or Jessica Watson over Leon any day. And I'd take
Abby's 18 year old brother over _anybody_ on this newsgroup.

LOL ... based on the above, being the absolute mother of self delusion,
there is NO doubt they wouldn't have you anyway.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Handy to get around harbors, in/out of berths, etc. Also nice on those
days when there *is* no wind.

Actually I was yanking Lew's chain a bit. Forgive me Lew...;~)

I have not been on sailboats much but am aware of that the bigger ons
somethmes come with... Grew up 3 miles from salt water and have always live
within 60 miles of the salt water. It is hard to miss seeing the boats.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You can even climb Mt Everest today with a little experience and
$60,000.

You definitely WILL NOT sail around the world for $60,000.

The toughest part is not the sailing, but getting the sponsors.

Having talked to a couple of people who have done it, sponsorship is
the biggest hurdle.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Still a poignant story, Lew ... wished I had the means to insure
that the passion lives on.

----------------------
Hey that's life.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

I have no regrets.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:22:44 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Snip

What part of "Her parents have already thought it through, decided to
let her go, and she's on the high seas now." bit did you guys miss?

Larry,, ;~) I think they baloon boy's parents could use you right about now
in their defense.

AFAIK, Abby's parents aren't the criminal type. The balloon boy's
parents showed that they are. What's the final bill presented to that
idiot? Or did they just jail him. I don't watch TV so I didn't see
how it ended. sigh

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:09:21 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/15/2010 11:05 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Aren't proper justifications fun? I just love 'em!

A damn good incentive, IMO ... and a hellavu tradeoff, healthwise.

Indeed!

Well ... actually, that's not counting all the damn weight you can gain
in 19 years by quitting smoking.

I put on 10 or 15 pretty quick, but that's all that usually happens.
Some of that was muscle, too, as I got healther and was up and out
more. But quitting smoking doesn't mean that weight continues to
build, that's just old age catching up with your declining activity.
I'm 30+ pounds now above my high school weight, 39 years later, but I
was a swimmer in high school. (2nd place, JV letter, breast stroke.)

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:13:10 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/15/2010 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

There are far fewer distractions. No friends in the seats around you,
no other vehicles, no trees, no boys walking by (for her), no need to
stay behind the wheel.

I'd still love to see the stats if anyone can dig 'em up.

As I stated before, lack of experience and mature judgment is a function
of AGE, not activity.

And like I said, she's already out there. Find your own acceptance of
that fact and you'll be happier.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:56:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

What I was saying is that kids grow up/mature a whole lot earlier
today than they did when we were kids. Many are _much_ more mature.
You can accept that or not.

So a couple of years more mature/grown up does not make them wise.

That's true, but they're potentially closer to wise at that age than
we were, and we all survived the wild **** we pulled, right?

Robert, had her parents not seen that she showed extraordinary
maturity, she wouldn't have been allowed to go. End of story.
shrug

LOL... Now what parents don't think that their child is the smartest,
prettiest, bla bla. Her parent may be idiots compared to her. She the
child may very well rule the roost as many teenagers do.

After all I've read from you on this subject, Leon/Swingy/Naily, all I
can say is "Were your mothers 'scared by a boat' when they were
pregnant with you?" bseg

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:21:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Kids that age also totally believe that they are invincible.
Suppose a hurricane blows through.... or pirates, they would have a
ball with her....literally, that is my problem..

How is that different from a young couple, an old man, or a middle
aged woman on the high seas? Most people on the ocean believe that
and pirates take on all comers, regardless of age or gender.

The older people should have a better understanding of the risks.

How does "better understanding of the risks" remove the risks? And how
old
do you consider to be "old enough"? Hillary Clinton has a mighty
****load
of life experience but if she was in the middle of the ocean in a boat and
some gang of pirates decided to rape her exactly how would she use that
experience to protect herself?

She'd cut their nuts off!

That fits with a joke I received via email on Friday:

--snip--
While trying to escape through Pakistan, Osama Bin Laden found a
bottle on the sand and picked it up.

Suddenly, a female genie rose from the bottle and with a smile said,
"Master, may I grant you one wish?"

Osama responded,"You ignorant, unworthy daughter-of-a-dog! Don't you
know who I am? I don't need any common woman giving me anything."

The shocked genie said, "Please, I must grant you a wish or I will be
returned to that bottle forever."

Osama thought a moment, then grumbled about the impertinence of the
woman and said,"Very well, I want to awaken with three American women
in my bed in the morning. So just do it and be off with you.

"The annoyed genie said, "So be it!" and disappeared.

The next morning Bin Laden woke up in bed with Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya
Harding, and Nancy Pelosi at his side.

His penis was gone, his knees were broken, and he had no health
insurance.
--snip--

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You can even climb Mt Everest today with a little experience and
$60,000.

You definitely WILL NOT sail around the world for $60,000.

The toughest part is not the sailing, but getting the sponsors.

Having talked to a couple of people who have done it, sponsorship is
the biggest hurdle.

Lew

Lew

That's why I'm going to climb Everest instead. Just trying to save a few
bucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:32:56 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Best comment in this thread!

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:22:44 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
Snip

What part of "Her parents have already thought it through, decided to
let her go, and she's on the high seas now." bit did you guys miss?

Larry,, ;~) I think they baloon boy's parents could use you right about
now
in their defense.

AFAIK, Abby's parents aren't the criminal type. The balloon boy's
parents showed that they are. What's the final bill presented to that
idiot? Or did they just jail him. I don't watch TV so I didn't see
how it ended. sigh

IIRC he did have to pay a fine.... maybe, but again IIRC it was way low and
almost insignificant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:13:57 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"
scrawled the following:

wrote:

You're going on a dangerous and life threatening trip. You will be
taking one person with you that is experienced in this type of trip.
You haven't met either one of them before.

All you know is that one of them has five years experience and the
other has twenty years experience in this type of trip.

Which one are you going to ask to accompany you? Pick one and explain
your reasoning for that choice.

I'd flip a coin. What the one person has done in five years may be far
superior to the person that has been exposed to this type of trip for 20
years. The more years experience "usually" translates into being better
equipped in a tough situation, but sometimes youth and agility work better
than wisdom and creaky joints. Too many variables here to pick a clear
advantage.

I'd pick that sailor guy from Schute's _Trustee_, myself.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:19:38 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Hmmmmmmm... John... a "mighty ****load", huh? I kinda like that. I presume
that's volumetrically greater - much greater, than a simple ****load. I'm
sticking this one in my back pocket. To think - all these years I've been
settling for a simple ****load. Man - you can really pick up some cool
stuff here.

--snip--
According to the zoo's owner, Dragan Pejovic, the townsfolk have
nothing to worry about. "Nikica does not represent a threat to anyone,"

So, to segue back, she's less dangerous than circumnavigation?

he said, "unless someone attacks and kicks her." But that is not
entirely true. The evacuation of Nikica's cage is one thing -- but when
Nikica herself evacuates, it can be dangerous.

I've seen that happen in the Sandy Eggo zoo. Walking by the hippo
exposition, I strolleddown to the underwater viewing area when the
hippo decided to evacuate. Holy Crom! That's a metric (my fave)
****load, alright. Within 30 seconds, a roughly 10x12x8' area was
saturated and opaque. I went to the top and watched a dozen kids go
"Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" Unforgettable.

Maybe Abby will pick her up and won't have to be alone for the rest of
the voyage. (jusssssst kidding)

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:15:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
The SARSAT satellites are in polar orbit--their coverage is not "spotty".

Through thick clouds? g

Used to write software to read the USSR versions ...

I bow to your considerably deeper experience with it.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:16:45 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

I don't really see what Larry thinks that "thick clouds" would have to do
with the transmission of radio signals. Maybe he doesn't understand how an
EPIRB works.

I was thinking KH-class sat "pictures", I was.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 8:54*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
*Walking by the hippo
exposition, I strolleddown to the underwater viewing area when the
hippo decided to evacuate. *Holy Crom! That's a metric (my fave)
****load, alright.

Ummm, Larry... it is metric, henceforth not a ****load but an assload.
Metric assload.
You _could_ say metric ****load, but it's just not done. It's like
saying one tenth of a foot. (Yes, and I know...there is such a thing
as a tenth of an inch.)
Metric assload, Larry.
..
..
I get real testy when people keep getting there UOM all mixed up..like
their tiches and tads, smidgens and c-hairs.
..
..
..
;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 12:00*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are
insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't
see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot
displacement hull.

And of course you lost interest in anything I had to say because I
continually kept whooping your ass by calling your bull**** and bad
temper on a regular basis.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are
insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't
see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot
displacement hull.

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40,
which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and
they have hit 25 knots.

Of course, this involves surfing! They are still competitive in the
TransPac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are
insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't
see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot
displacement hull.

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40,
which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and
they have hit 25 knots.

Of course, this involves surfing! They are still competitive in the
TransPac.

You mean planing.... I was talking about a displacement hull, like
Jessica's
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are
insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't
see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot
displacement hull.

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40,
which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and
they have hit 25 knots.

Of course, this involves surfing! They are still competitive in the
TransPac.

And here I thought I was haulin ass with a Hobie 16 @ 14.5 knots...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40,
which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and
they have hit 25 knots.

And here I was wondering why you would need 20 knots in something. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are
insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Better yet look at upscales response.

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't
see anything from upscale either.

This from a guy who thinks he can 20 knots out of a 40-foot
displacement hull.

It's been done. And not even a modern boat. The venerable Cal 40,
which was introduced in the early 1960's. Sustained 15 knot runs, and
they have hit 25 knots.

Of course, this involves surfing! They are still competitive in the
TransPac.

You mean planing.... I was talking about a displacement hull, like
Jessica's

The Cal 40 IS a displacement hull.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

No, on a 14.5 ton boat with 3 tons of lead outside, maybe another
half ton inside.

Lets see, 3.5/14 = 0.25 ballast ratio.

I'll pass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 05:44:00 -0800, Larry Jaques .
It doesn't seem that anyone has them, listening to you 3 naysayers.
I'm an AGWK skeptic, you three are circumnavigation skeptics. Small
world.

Not once have I stated that she didn't know what she was doing in her
sailboat. The point I've been trying to get across all this time is
that age, maturity and experience all contribute to how one makes
decisions. That's an important factor whether you want to admit it or
not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:16:45 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

I don't really see what Larry thinks that "thick clouds" would have to do
with the transmission of radio signals. Maybe he doesn't understand how
an
EPIRB works.

I was thinking KH-class sat "pictures", I was.

Those were some interesting birds. Gnat on a fly's ass ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:15:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
The SARSAT satellites are in polar orbit--their coverage is not
"spotty".

Through thick clouds? g

Used to write software to read the USSR versions ...

I bow to your considerably deeper experience with it.

Turns out it wasn't so deep ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:19:28 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

So, to segue back, she's less dangerous than circumnavigation?

Depends on where you're standing. I would NOT want to be too close
astern when SHE circumnavigates!

Um, weren't you circumnavigated as a child, Baldy?

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:44:02 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Jan 17, 8:54*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
*Walking by the hippo
exposition, I strolleddown to the underwater viewing area when the
hippo decided to evacuate. *Holy Crom! That's a metric (my fave)
****load, alright.

Ummm, Larry... it is metric, henceforth not a ****load but an assload.
Metric assload.
You _could_ say metric ****load, but it's just not done. It's like
saying one tenth of a foot. (Yes, and I know...there is such a thing
as a tenth of an inch.)
Metric assload, Larry.

OK, I'll file that in the metric portion of my brain.

I get real testy when people keep getting there UOM all mixed up..like
their tiches and tads, smidgens and c-hairs.
;-)

That's RCH to you, son. (they're finer)

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:09:17 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:15:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
The SARSAT satellites are in polar orbit--their coverage is not
"spotty".

Through thick clouds? g

Used to write software to read the USSR versions ...

I bow to your considerably deeper experience with it.

Turns out it wasn't so deep ...

Yeah, we all had entirely different versions of sats in mind. Hmm, was
any of us right? (one implied)

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2010 9:58 AM, Robatoy wrote:

They know how to make nuclear powerplants small enough to shoot them
into orbit, it wouldn't be too big of a leap to adapt to a sailboat
would it?

Just outside the harbor at Gustavia in Saint Barts I saw a 15m catamaran
(demasted) and being decked over completely with solar panels. I've
wondered ever since how well that worked out...

....and whether the mast was replaced once the electrical work had been
completed. Interesting solar project.

Might also be able to do something interesting with fuel cells.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 1/17/2010 9:58 AM, Robatoy wrote:

They know how to make nuclear powerplants small enough to shoot them
into orbit, it wouldn't be too big of a leap to adapt to a sailboat
would it?

Just outside the harbor at Gustavia in Saint Barts I saw a 15m catamaran
(demasted) and being decked over completely with solar panels. I've
wondered ever since how well that worked out...

What would salt spray and evaporation do to the panels?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:35:45 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 1/17/2010 9:58 AM, Robatoy wrote:

They know how to make nuclear powerplants small enough to shoot them
into orbit, it wouldn't be too big of a leap to adapt to a sailboat
would it?

Just outside the harbor at Gustavia in Saint Barts I saw a 15m catamaran
(demasted) and being decked over completely with solar panels. I've
wondered ever since how well that worked out...

What would salt spray and evaporation do to the panels?

Salt spray will make them salt encrusted. You need to rinse them off
regularly. Even a rinse with salt water (if that's all you have
available) will help.