Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Zac Sunderland

He made it.

Youngest person to sail around the world alone.

Google "Zac Sunderland" for details.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 4:21*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
He made it.

Youngest person to sail around the world alone.

Google "Zac Sunderland" for details.

Sucks that there's another younger kid set to beat his record in a few
months.

I guess it will eventually get down to whichever country has the
laxest child abuse laws will have one of their own set the record.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote:
------------------------------------
I guess it will eventually get down to whichever country has the
laxest child abuse laws will have one of their own set the record.

From what I can tell, this kid was sailing before he was out of
diapers.

Buying an old Islander 36 for $6K, and then getting it ready for "Blue
water" is quite an accomplishment in it's self, even if Dad is a
shipwright.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 6:54*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote:

------------------------------------
I guess it will eventually get down to whichever country has the
laxest child abuse laws will have one of their own set the record. *

From what I can tell, this kid was sailing before he was out of
diapers.

Buying an old Islander 36 for $6K, and then getting it ready for "Blue
water" is quite an accomplishment in it's self, even if Dad is a
shipwright.

I agree it's quite an acccomplishment, but there are some people who
have issues with the story.
http://yachtpals.com/zac-sunderland-record-4178

Bottom line, though - I'm jealous! Man, would that be nice to just
muck about in a boat for a year!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote:

I agree it's quite an acccomplishment, but there are some people who
have issues with the story.
http://yachtpals.com/zac-sunderland-record-4178

Bottom line, though - I'm jealous! Man, would that be nice to just
muck about in a boat for a year!

Especially with dad picking up the tab which is in excess of $150K.

OTOH, a college education costs more than $150K at many universities
these days.

Sailing this circumnavigation has been a great learning experience in
progressing from teenager to maturing adult.

Doubt you will ever see him marking time in some office cubicle, he
will have too much to bring to the party.

As far as any records are concerned, don't think he was after any
other that to do it by himself.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 10:43*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
..

As far as any records are concerned, don't think he was after any
other that to do it by himself.

He said as much.

One helluvan accomplishment. A little easier with GPS and satellite
weather reports these days, but still.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 11:13*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 16, 10:43*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

As far as any records are concerned, don't think he was after any
other that to do it by himself.

He said as much.

One helluvan accomplishment. A little easier with GPS and satellite
weather reports these days, but still.

I think the thing that the sailors were objecting to was the "solo
sailing around the world" part, when he had an engine and used it. I
can understand the point, but it does seem a bit nit-picky.