Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Question - Must View

"RonB" wrote in message

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to
invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago
(early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for
years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long
time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not
learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and
start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting
equipment some day.

I was formally taught on the board with the T-square and triangles, and to
toot my own horn was pretty good at. I was placing high in college
competition drawing contests when in HS.
For other reasons I did not pursue that path in college or in my career.

I am totally self taught on CAD programs starting with IMSI Designer in 1986
and strictly using arrow keys for defined units of measure and no pointing
device to Auto CAD LT. I thought AUtoCAD was simple,,, huh?

If you already have a working knowledge of CAD programs and how to draw,
Sketchup can be conquered. ;~)

The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will do
everything you need to learn the program.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 2:48 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various "plugins":

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 12/30/2009 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it
comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the
Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

So I've heard as well, but then how do you explain this:

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=95602

where it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four
different icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to
select), but my free version of SketchUp only has one. This functionality
is apparently part of the "LayOut" product:

The above link leads to "Beyond Sketchup Layout. The 4 icons "may" only be
a part of the pro version but they may also be available as an add on.

Anyway with the free version use the rectangle tool that you actually have
and draw a rectangle. Place an arc in each of the corners using the arc
tool. Then erase the 4, 90 degree corner points of the rectangle. Then use
the push tool to give that shape the depth/height you desire.

You may actually be trying too hard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually if you search for a "video" tutorial it may be much easier to
understand than the one you referenced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 2:47 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

where it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four
different icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to
select), but my free version of SketchUp only has one. This
functionality is apparently part of the "LayOut" product:

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/product/layout.html

Which is only included in the Pro version of SketchUp.

Au contraire ... the Pro version ONLY has one rectangle tool ALSO.

Forget about Layout ... it is NOT a 3D modeling tool!!!

The Layout program only has 2D boxes for putting text in for
presentation, just like Microsoft word would do, it NOT used in any way,
shape, or form, for doing 3D models!

3D Models are brought into Layout, which has some basic 2D drawing tools
strictly for creating "presentations".

You can't create 3D models with Layout!

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro
version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the
Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the
free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not
snapping to it!

I spent all the time I did knowing full well there was probably an
alternate way of doing it (as you're about to explain), but by the time
I finished arriving at that conclusion I was already ticked enough to
close the program and walk away.

Alright ... WARNING: this is a real elementary quickie that is not
nearly the best representation of a mattress that I could do with SU,
but it didn't take 30 seconds to do the model, and less than five
minutes to do the whole damn tutorial thing, get it on the website, and
write this backatcha ... but I too have to go make a quality Czech:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/MattressTutorial.zip

If you need more, let me know ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:06 PM, Leon wrote:
Anyway with the free version use the rectangle tool that you actually have
and draw a rectangle. Place an arc in each of the corners using the arc
tool. Then erase the 4, 90 degree corner points of the rectangle. Then use
the push tool to give that shape the depth/height you desire.

Yes, I mentioned to Swing that figured all along I could accomplish the end
result using that method (and that's the method I would use if I were doing the
same thing in TurboCAD), but somehow I ended down the path of thinking I could
somehow "turn on" the additional rectangle tools mentioned in the online help
and got completely cornfizzled.

You may actually be trying too hard.

No doubt I am. Once I finish off this Shiner Black Lager I might try again
with a more relaxed approach. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when
learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will
do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various
"plugins":

Probably. I am only showing/using 72 icons on my version. Of those icons I
probably only use 20 regularily and of those 20 many are simply different
view icons. And I typically use a simple keyboard command in place of
clicking on an icon.

99% of the time I use

"L" for line, "P" for push/pull, "M" for move, "M + CTL" for copy. "T"
for measure, "Space Bar" for select. "Space Bar + CTL" for multiple
erase...

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT KEY OF ALL

The letter "G" to make a group of lines that look like a piece of wood into
a "COMPONENT" You do not have to name it when prompted if you dont want to,
a default name will be provided.

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

Google Sketchup Plugins and you will get a load of web sites with plugins.

Some sites I like are

http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrary..._sections.html
https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/tweak
http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117
http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm
http://www.smustard.com/ Smustard even has a plugin to take you to their
site to down load plugins. ;~) Some are pay plug ins.

Plugins I like to have extra

The Angle Dimension plug in.
The Cut List 4.0 plug in for transfering your components in the CutListPro
opt program. Becareful there are other Cutlist plug ins that IMHO are not
as good as CUTLIST "4.0".

And others which I have probably forgotten about due to lack of use.

I also like to assign short cut key strokes to the frequently used icons. I
forget where to look but there is a page to print that lists all the short
cut key commands and mouse functions. I like to orbit by clicking and
holding my middle mouse button and moving the mouse, or in my case my center
scroll wheel and thumb ball. I prefer to not click on icons unless
necessary, I'd rather press a key or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Snip

You may actually be trying too hard.

No doubt I am. Once I finish off this Shiner Black Lager I might try
again with a more relaxed approach. :-)

Seriousely, once you learn the concept to Sketchup you may find yourself
playing with it for fun.... imagine.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:17 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/30/2009 2:47 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

where it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four
different icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to
select), but my free version of SketchUp only has one. This
functionality is apparently part of the "LayOut" product:

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/product/layout.html

Which is only included in the Pro version of SketchUp.

Au contraire ... the Pro version ONLY has one rectangle tool ALSO.

Forget about Layout ... it is NOT a 3D modeling tool!!!

The Layout program only has 2D boxes for putting text in for
presentation, just like Microsoft word would do, it NOT used in any way,
shape, or form, for doing 3D models!

3D Models are brought into Layout, which has some basic 2D drawing tools
strictly for creating "presentations".

You can't create 3D models with Layout!

Got it. Pro and Layout - it's all over between us! :-)

Alright ... WARNING: this is a real elementary quickie that is not
nearly the best representation of a mattress that I could do with SU,
but it didn't take 30 seconds to do the model, and less than five
minutes to do the whole damn tutorial thing, get it on the website, and
write this backatcha ... but I too have to go make a quality Czech:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/MattressTutorial.zip

Awesome Karl, thanks.

If you need more, let me know ...

No, just a point in the right direction and a kick in the ass was all I needed
and more than I could have asked for. Thanks again! :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when
learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they
will do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various
"plugins":

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous
to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll
see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the
few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

I really don't use that many ... most just make it more convenient to do
something that some users simply haven't gotten around to learning how
to do ... a la training wheels on a bicycle.

That said, there are some plug-ins that are really handy for
construction projects, like plug-ins for drawing frame walls between two
points, with the ability to use either 2x6 or 2x4's, put in windows and
doors, with different parameters for headers. I use those when designing
structures, but for woodworking projects, except for the CutList plugin,
I most often use only the tools on the toolbar (same in both versions)
and no other plug-ins whatsoever.

AMMOF, using SketchUp, I just designed and built a $20,000 deck for a
client and used no plug-ins whatsoever. Didn't even need the Pro version
for "presentation" because I sent the client the .skp file as they had
the free version already loaded on their Mac.

FWIW, here is just the framing plan for that deck that I simply printed
out for RFQ's, and for the actual construction:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Deck-Concept6PierBeam .zip

I did a much fancier version for the client, with the house and deck
together, but it is bit big to post on my server.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous
to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll
see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the
few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

As you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:38 PM, Leon wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
Snip

You may actually be trying too hard.

No doubt I am. Once I finish off this Shiner Black Lager I might try
again with a more relaxed approach. :-)

Seriousely, once you learn the concept to Sketchup you may find yourself
playing with it for fun.... imagine.

Yep, and that's how I'm most likely to learn the thing.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:48:11 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24"
office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.

That's why dual monitors are so popular.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:30:16 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 12/30/2009 2:17 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

All you bastids and your raves about SketchUp... I'm like RonB; I've
been a TurboCAD nut for the past 10 years or so, but every once in a
while (mainly due to all you guys raving about it here on the wreck) I
make the attempt to gain some ground with SketchUp, and I always fail
miserably. This time I bring it up (and install the NEW version, for the
27th time), and the *first* thing I want to do is draw a simple rounded
rectangle and extrude it (push/pull in SketchUp speak) into the shape of
a mattress. Do you think I can figure out how to draw a simple "rounded
rectangle"? Hell no! According to the online help (which never seems to
match the version I'm using), there IS such a function, but only after
about an hour of piddling around I finally figure out it only comes in
the PRO version of SketchUp, and I'll be damned if I'm spending $500 on
that! That's almost as much as the latest version of TurboCAD Pro, and
there ain't NO software product that's going to force that much money
out of my wallet...

Not true at all, Steve.

There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it
comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the
Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro
version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the
Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the
free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not
snapping to it!

Make your rectangle using the rectangle too; use the Arc tool to make
your rounded corners in the rectangle; Erase the corners; Use the
Push/Pull tool to lift the face of the now rounded rectangle up to the
desire thickness of the mattress.

If you want, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.

Just let me know and I'll post it on my website for download and post
the link here.

I can just see tomorrow's headlines now...

"SEX Crimes: SWINGMAN Jailed, Offering Mattress Tutorial via Internet"

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:14:21 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

.... snip

For some specific definition of "better"...

--

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

Except run under Linux. :-(

Kwitcher Wineing?

Nope, won't run under Wine. Using CrossOver Office for a number of apps,
but Sketchup won't work.

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:13:45 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 12/30/2009 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous
to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll
see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the
few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

As you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

Cool! I see there are ruby scripts for timberframers, too. Whuffo
you no gots? How many of those did you buy? sMustard and...what
else, if I may ask?

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2009 11:02 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

As you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

Cool! I see there are ruby scripts for timberframers, too. Whuffo
you no gots? How many of those did you buy? sMustard and...what
else, if I may ask?

These were all free, IIRC ... I don't remember ever spending a penny on
plug-ins.

I rarely use most except for construction stuff, mainly for stairs,
floor joists, and frame walls with windows, doors and headers for same.
These were all free, if I'm not mistaken.

The cutlist plugin (free), which exports to CutListPlus, is something I
do use for woodworking, and I'm pretty sure that Leon makes good use of
it also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 12:09*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Cutlists are way cool. The one I now use allows for grain orientation,
tool diameter, etc. (I'm sorry, it is a bit of a drive-by)
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ew_nesting.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Cutlists are way cool. The one I now use allows for grain orientation,
tool diameter, etc. (I'm sorry, it is a bit of a drive-by)
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ew_nesting.htm

Now allows grain orientation???? I thought all of them had that....years
ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:09:59 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 12/31/2009 11:02 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

As you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

Cool! I see there are ruby scripts for timberframers, too. Whuffo
you no gots? How many of those did you buy? sMustard and...what
else, if I may ask?

These were all free, IIRC ... I don't remember ever spending a penny on
plug-ins.

I saw the $79 price on the grab-it-all from sMustard, so I thought you
might have done that.

I rarely use most except for construction stuff, mainly for stairs,
floor joists, and frame walls with windows, doors and headers for same.
These were all free, if I'm not mistaken.

Even better!

The cutlist plugin (free), which exports to CutListPlus, is something I
do use for woodworking, and I'm pretty sure that Leon makes good use of
it also.

Bueno, bwana.

I'll definitely be installing SketchUp on the new box, if I EVER get
to it. With all this rain, I'm happy to have a couple new websites to
do right now.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.woodworking

tool diameter, etc. (I'm sorry, it is a bit of a drive-by)http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../aspire_v2/wha...

Now allows grain orientation???? *I thought all of them had that....years
ago.

Errrrmmm on straight boards, yes. On random shapes? Years ago? Okay
then. *S*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:20:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

[...]

What, 'only' $2,000? I'll take two! Hey, I saw a reference to Steve
Knight in their gallery. He evidently has a ShopBot and V-carve.

I was very impressed with SoftPlan's cutlist and BOM listings. It's
roughly $3k, as is ChiefArchitect. (Scratch those, damnit.)

OK, SketchUp free version it is.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 7:55*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Knighttools is a well respected participant on more than one forum.
Even though I don't run a Shopbot, I get most of my 'inside scoop'
from their sign making forum.
The Vectric forum is also very useful and more specific to their
software. Those Vectric people are some very fine folk. (BTW, the
Partsworks pgm that comes with ShopBot is a Vectric product.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2009 7:09 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The Vectric forum is also very useful and more specific to their
software. Those Vectric people are some very fine folk. (BTW, the
Partsworks pgm that comes with ShopBot is a Vectric product.)

That's a whole 'nother world there, brother Rob ... makes me tired
thinking about what it would take to just get started.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 9:00*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 12/31/2009 7:09 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The Vectric forum is also very useful and more specific to their
software. Those Vectric people are some very fine folk. (BTW, the
Partsworks pgm that comes with ShopBot is a Vectric product.)

That's a whole 'nother world there, brother Rob ... makes me tired
thinking about what it would take to just get started.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

You got the parts to make a system like that fly. You already
demonstrated the ability to tame the MR, a ShopBot would play right
into your hands.
No doubt in my mind.
A small company, with a limited amount of share holders. All private.
Put a clock on the work it does for which share holder. Each job owes
to the company.
Damn thing be paid off in a year. 20K$ gets you on your way, 30K$ does
it in style. Leon and you aren't maxing out your skillsets. All that
diversified knowledge and experience can manifest itself on a focal
plane which embraces modern technology and gives you guys a leg up on
anyone around you.
Just ****ing do it.

I may have had a few snorts of brandy by now... G HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:17 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/30/2009 2:47 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

where it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four
different icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to
select), but my free version of SketchUp only has one. This
functionality is apparently part of the "LayOut" product:

Alright ... WARNING: this is a real elementary quickie that is not
nearly the best representation of a mattress that I could do with SU,
but it didn't take 30 seconds to do the model, and less than five
minutes to do the whole damn tutorial thing, get it on the website, and
write this backatcha ... but I too have to go make a quality Czech:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/MattressTutorial.zip

If you need more, let me know ...

Just playing around with a video capture program this moring, so I made
its maiden voyage with quickie "Sketchup Mattress Tutorial" VIDEO for
you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GPaG9Ks6I
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/mattress.mp4

Like I say, it's a quickie by a noob with the software, and bit
different from the other one, but it may get across the point that there
is more than one way to skin a cat in SketchUp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Question - Using other technology

Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Question - Using other technology -url coorection

On 1/3/2010 5:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0

Again, First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

Thunderbird edited the ":" in the original post and it ended up in the
Part 2 url, it should be:

Sketchup Kitchen Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0

Sorry about that ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, Swingman wrote:
Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Youtube was kind enough to ask me what else you posted. Hence I got to
see part deux.

That's pretty impressive there brother Karl. *S* Can it output to a
large format printer as well? If so, how big will it go at what
resolution?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/3/2010 5:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Youtube was kind enough to ask me what else you posted. Hence I got to
see part deux.

That's pretty impressive there brother Karl. *S* Can it output to a
large format printer as well? If so, how big will it go at what
resolution?

Danke ... I asked Dave Richards at FWW's "Design, Click, Build" blog
what he was using as video screen capture software, and he was kind
enough to reply back with "Snagit":

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

I'm just giving it a trial run. Not much of a learning curve and simple
to operate. It does allow configurable printer options, but I haven't
delved into that yet.

I've been using in on my little Dell XPS10 laptop with the built-in mic,
not a single hiccup (other than operator error) thus far.

I'm trying to determine what blending of technologies is going to fit in
well with the new website we're designing for the the home and kitchen
cabinet business.

These is all guinea pig fodder ... I kinda feel like the old days when I
was playing bass live in the control room, while recording 7 pieces on
the other side of the glass, and being engineer and producer at the same
time.

Something's gotta suffer ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 6:52*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

or manifest itself as a source of inspiration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

Looks pretty cool. I like the ideal of the link to Youtube rather than
e-mailing the file.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Karl!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Thank you VERY much for taking the time and effort to respond in such a
valuable manner, really crystallized many of the thoughts I hadn't put
into words yet ... I owe you one/two/or more, Bubba!

--

Thank you sir.

You are one of the good guys.

Happy to help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:15:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

[...]

So you're out on bail? gd&wvvf Cool toot, Perfesser.

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:01:56 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

Cool! Youtube works, but for clients, I'd strongly recommend putting
them on your own website. Then when they sent friends to look, they
can see your work, too, and the rest of your offerings. If you don't
have a website now, try hosting with Lunar Pages. Minimalist at $3/mo,
more stuff at $8/mo, $6/mo if you buy a few years at a time. I do the
latter. http://www.lunarpages.com/id/diversifycom
Disclaimer: You don't pay more but I get a bonus from your signup if
you use my link there. I've been working with LP with other clients
for 5 years and now have both my websites hosted there. Good folks.

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

YouTube sez: "The URL contained a malformed video ID."

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

Get that announcer voice lessons, Karl. He sounds like a damned
Texican. That simply _can't_ be good for business. bseg

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was really impressed with the first one. If the second one was
other then pictures of the final installation I'm really impressed. I
think your steps ahead of your competitors in a tough market.

Mike M

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:01:56 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques (whose munged e-mail address confuses KNode) wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:01:56 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for
presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YLc1lT-sk

.... snip

Looks pretty neat, but I was disappointed that there was no scenery behind
that window and that you didn't show what was in the cabinets or drawers.

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0:

Again, First efforts ...

YouTube sez: "The URL contained a malformed video ID."

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...)

Get that announcer voice lessons, Karl. He sounds like a damned
Texican. That simply _can't_ be good for business. bseg

Heh, I *know* someone who sounds just like him. I'd do business with the
person on the other end of that voice. :-)

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:52:51 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Danke ... I asked Dave Richards at FWW's "Design, Click, Build" blog
what he was using as video screen capture software, and he was kind
enough to reply back with "Snagit":

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

I've been using it for a number of years. It's an extremely capable
capture program.

Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 58 October 11th 09 10:23 PM
Sketchup question notbob Woodworking 49 June 5th 09 01:53 AM
Quick question on Sketchup Tim S UK diy 5 April 4th 09 05:18 PM
Another Sketchup Question Jeff Gorman Woodworking 2 March 10th 09 07:36 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 0 March 8th 09 02:57 PM