DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   SketchUp Question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/289094-sketchup-question.html)

Bill October 10th 09 07:53 AM

SketchUp Question

I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we
want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the
pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As components,
pieces move easily.

Here is my question:

I made a bookshelf side (component) with some hidden dados cut for shelves.
I entered the depth manually.

Then I made a shelf (component).

Then by working from various orientations, I was able to move a shelf into
the bookshelf side.

However, I was just "eye-balling" it. I couldn't really tell "how far" in
the shelf was into the dado.

Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this
would be that you could messure the size of
the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to
approach this with SketchUp?

In general, I'm really just learning to assemble components. Suggestions
welcome, of course.

Thank you,
Bill

Tanus October 10th 09 12:59 PM

SketchUp Question

Bill wrote:
[...]

If the dado is not blind on both ends, there is an easy way to get
perfect alignment. If it is blind on both ends, you need X-ray view.

Pan or rotate your view (not the piece) so that you can see the
not-blind end of the dado as well as the other end of the dado. Make
sure the shelf is in the same view. With the Move tool, click on the
corner of the shelf that will be snugging into the furthest reach of the
dado. (You'll get a purple dot with the message "Endpoint in Component")

With the Move tool, move that point close to the end of the dado (the
hidden end). You are again looking for "Endpoint in Component" to
confirm that you've wedded the pieces properly. Likely you won't on
first pass, and you may have to pan, rotate, or zoom to ensure that
they're lined up perfectly.

You have to futz with the views a lot the first few times to get it
right. After that, it gets a bit easier.

If you really can't get a view that works, switch to X-ray or wireframe
(ViewFacestyleX-Ray) and follow the same steps.

Tanus

Swingman October 10th 09 01:12 PM

SketchUp Question

Bill wrote:

Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this
would be that you could messure the size of
the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to
approach this with SketchUp?

Many ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to to use "xray" view and
the Move tool to move the shelf into the hidden dado using the
appropriate corner/"inference" point.

To learn more about SU's "inference engine", which is extremely helpful
in placing components in a model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfmIgJqlIw

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Leon[_6_] October 10th 09 01:17 PM

SketchUp Question

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from it!
Some times things have to be done differently.

Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with
the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf
"out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners
as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle command.
Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado and end in
the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a rectangle
the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow rectangle
to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then convert that
shelf into a component.

Leon[_6_] October 10th 09 01:22 PM

SketchUp Question

"Leon" wrote in message

"

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from
it!
Some times things have to be done differently.

Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with
the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf
"out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners
as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle
command. Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado
and end in the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a
rectangle the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow
rectangle to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then
convert that shelf into a component.

An additional note, you mentioned hidden dado's. If you are using stopped
dados condiser using the method mentioned above from the back side where the
dado actually exits/starts. If stopped on both front and back use the
method above but turn on x-ray so that you can see the bottoms of the dado's
and draw the rectangle.

Bill October 10th 09 07:35 PM

SketchUp Question

Leon, Tanus, and Swingman,

Thank you for your SketchUp tips! I'll try them during this evening's
practice session!
I haven't tried the X-Ray view yet.

Thanks,
Bill

"Leon" wrote in message

"

Bill October 11th 09 08:57 AM

SketchUp Question

"Bill" wrote in message

I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we
want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the
pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As
components, pieces move easily.

Here is my question:

Thank you,
Bill

I posted my progress with stopped dados, et. al. as pdf files under the
thread "SketchUp Workbench3" at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Admittedly, it took almost 5 hours, but I had fun most of the time...

Now I need to learn how to (really) make drawers, and the things that go
with them. SketchUp really does
appear to encourage thinking about design--helping one visualize and
allowing one to alternate between the
macro and micro aspects. A room full of power tools, would distract me from
being as attentive to detail as I
am learning to be.

Bill

Swingman December 29th 09 02:38 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Leon[_6_] December 29th 09 03:14 PM

"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

-MIKE- December 29th 09 03:39 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Swingman December 29th 09 03:48 PM

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24"
office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Swingman December 29th 09 03:51 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

:)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Jack Stein December 29th 09 04:06 PM

Swingman wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Excellent Swing. Here's another that I'd say is a prerequisite for that
one. Much of the same stuff, a bit slower and also a must for the
woodworker. Once you learn the basics and the hot keys, this one is
excellent to follow along with Sketchup in one window, and the tutorial
in another.

http://garykatz.blip.tv/file/2375765/

--
Jack
Got Change: 5% Unemployment ====== 10% Unemployment!

Swingman December 29th 09 04:35 PM

Jack Stein wrote:
Swingman wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Excellent Swing. Here's another that I'd say is a prerequisite for that
one. Much of the same stuff, a bit slower and also a must for the
woodworker. Once you learn the basics and the hot keys, this one is
excellent to follow along with Sketchup in one window, and the tutorial
in another.

http://garykatz.blip.tv/file/2375765/

Yeah, Buddy ... Gary Katz has a great website for woodworkers in
general. For those who haven't visited it, it is worth the trip.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jack!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

-MIKE- December 29th 09 04:43 PM

On 12/29/09 9:51 AM, Swingman wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

:)

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- December 29th 09 10:06 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

:)

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

For some specific definition of "better"...

--

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- December 29th 09 10:07 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On 12/29/09 12:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

.
...other than that.....nice try, Mike.

shhhhhhh. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Bill December 29th 09 10:09 PM

"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

You and Leon already helped me get up and running with SketchUp earlier this
year (thanks)! I really enjoyed the video--nice to see a real master at
work. I have a long way to go...but so far so good! For those who haven't
tried SketchUp yet, please do! : )

Bill

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Larry Jaques December 30th 09 12:05 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:00:14 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-...

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

:)

No, no. *It's better than any CAD program, ever.

Finally an opinion from somebody who has worked with all CAD programs.
It still baffles me that I got anything done at all prior to
SketchUp's arrival on the scene. I mean.. how did NASA EvAR get
anything off the ground?

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several
million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how
small. _That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for
rubber o-rings... sigh

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor

Robatoy[_2_] December 30th 09 12:12 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

They didn't miss the O-ring issue. They knew all about it. MT
engineers fired off all kinds of warnings. They took a gamble based on
politics and lost. THAT is the sad part.

Leon[_6_] December 30th 09 12:40 AM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several
million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how
small. _That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for
rubber o-rings... sigh

And errrr uh.... The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions into the
Mars surface.

Larry Jaques December 30th 09 12:40 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:16:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Dec 29, 10:48*am, Swingman wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-...

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24"
office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Thatsawhy I put all my tools on the flaptop and the drawing on the
larger monitor. Works on both my flaptopPC/samsung monitors and my
Apple/Sony combo's Mouse (trackballs actually) flies through the air
between them.

I recently bought a Wacom Graphire tablet which has a whole lot more
features than my old Artz. It has a scroll wheel and assignable
buttons. Just a fabulous tool. And the software came with MacOS and PC
drivers so it is plug and play portability between my home office and
my shop. The tablet, aside an old Kensington track ball, makes for
very accurate and lightning fast navigation. (Only because I'm used to
it, I can't say I recommend that set-up to anybody.)
Also, it came with the latest Adobe Photoshop Elements. Going over the
features it has now, it makes me a bit ****ed at having paid for a
full Photoshop some years back.

I just had to buy a USB to Parallel adapter, and I still haven't
figured out how I'll get my old DB9 + wall wart plugged into my new
portless computer. Is there an adapter for the ArtZ to USB, Toy?
I still have to reinstall all my old progs and learn the ins and outs
of Win7, too. sigh

Robatoy[_2_] December 30th 09 12:50 AM

On Dec 29, 7:40*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several
million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how
small. *_That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for
rubber o-rings... *sigh

And errrr uh.... *The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions into the
Mars surface.

THAT was Bush's fault.

Robatoy[_2_] December 30th 09 12:51 AM

On Dec 29, 7:50*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 29, 7:40*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

.. .

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several
million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how
small. *_That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for
rubber o-rings... *sigh

And errrr uh.... *The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions into the
Mars surface.

THAT was Bush's fault.

Or was it Clinton's fault......?

Robatoy[_2_] December 30th 09 12:53 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Dec 29, 7:40*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:16:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Dec 29, 10:48*am, Swingman wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

We are all going to be using iSlates after Jan 26

[email protected] December 30th 09 03:20 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

Shoot anything with an 'i' in front of it.

Please.

basilisk[_2_] December 30th 09 04:55 AM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:16:17 -0600, Robatoy
wrote:

On Dec 29, 10:48 am, Swingman wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Do not spill your beverage of choice into a wacom
tablet they are very unforgiving and you will have a
expensive plastic paperweight. DAMHIKT

basilisk

Mark & Juanita December 30th 09 06:14 AM

-MIKE- wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-

my-drawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical
sense.

:)

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

For some specific definition of "better"...

--

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

Except run under Linux. :-(

Rob Leatham

Mark & Juanita December 30th 09 06:17 AM

Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 29, 7:50Â*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 29, 7:40Â*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

.. .

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several
million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how
small. Â*_That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates
for rubber o-rings... Â*sigh

And errrr uh.... Â*The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions
into the Mars surface.

THAT was Bush's fault.

Or was it Clinton's fault......?

Think that one occurred during the 90's under Clinton's watch.

Not that there's any correlation -- stuff happens despite rigorous
testing. Could just as easily have been a m / km unit problem and they'd
have still been off by 3 orders of magnitude. Systems Engineering is a
discipline that requires both top-level thinking and tedious attention to
detail.

Rob Leatham

Larry Jaques December 30th 09 01:35 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:39:50 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Dec 29, 10:20*pm, wrote:
Shoot anything with an 'i' in front of it.

Please.

LOL

Don't forget the 'e's, too. ebooks for your iphone, E! online, eShop,
etc. [Since I've received far too much spicy goodness from eBay, I'll
forgo (_that_ word should have an e, though, damnit) condemning them,
though they haven't refunded the price of the fake thumb drive yet.
Case still pending, awaiting customer service reply Day 11.]

Larry Jaques December 30th 09 01:36 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:55:46 -0600, the infamous basilisk
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Dec 29, 10:48 am, Swingman wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

B, how do you spill something _into_ a purtymuch sealed tablet?!?

Larry Jaques December 30th 09 01:37 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:14:21 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

-MIKE- wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-

my-drawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical
sense.

:)

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

For some specific definition of "better"...

--

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

Except run under Linux. :-(

Kwitcher Wineing?

Leon[_6_] December 30th 09 01:42 PM

SketchUp Question - Must View

And errrr uh.... Â The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions
into the Mars surface.

THAT was Bush's fault.

Or was it Clinton's fault......?

Think that one occurred during the 90's under Clinton's watch.

Not that there's any correlation -- stuff happens despite rigorous
testing. Could just as easily have been a m / km unit problem and they'd
have still been off by 3 orders of magnitude. Systems Engineering is a
discipline that requires both top-level thinking and tedious attention to
detail.

Which is exactly why one would think that this kind of mistake should not
have been made. I think NASA would fall under the group of Systems
Engineers that would absolutely require top-level thinking and tedious
attention to detail.

IMHO it seems only common sense that one unit of measure should be adopted
and all others NEVER be allowed.

RonB[_2_] December 30th 09 02:17 PM

On Dec 29, 8:38*am, Swingman wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-...

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to
invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago
(early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for
years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long
time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not
learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and
start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting
equipment some day.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

Thanks for the link .... I think.

RonB

dpb December 30th 09 03:05 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical
sense.

:)

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

For some specific definition of "better"...

--

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

For some specific definition of "everything" and "much"... :)

Swingman December 30th 09 03:56 PM

On 12/30/2009 8:17 AM, RonB wrote:
On Dec 29, 8:38 am, wrote:
[...]

LOL ... well you do have one BIG hill to climb ... overcoming the
resistance to the program due to ANY previous experience with CAD. :)

Most of us who fall in that category generally install SU, then wipe it,
two or three times, before the light finally comes on.

SU is NOT "CAD", it is 3D modeling software, and should be approached
with that sea change in mind. You approach it as a traditional CAD
program and you'll do the above, almost guaranteed.

Biggest tip I can give you with SU is to approach it much like you would
when building a piece in the shop - by drawing the same individual
"components" of the project, ie legs, aprons, top, etc., EXACTLY as you
would do in the shop, then put them together.

This is illustrated nicely in the video link I posted, and can't be
emphasized enough.

For modeling woodworking projects, think "COMPONENTS" ... say it again,
class: COMPONENTS! :)

Good luck, Ron ... you got any question, just holler. I'm far from an
expert with it, but without reading a single book, I built a custom
home, from foundation up, using nothing but plans generated by SU, for
both bidding, construction, and inspection ... it was not something I
initially wanted to do, but it was done nonetheless, and handsomely so.

I'm not the only one ...I think one of the other wRec'ers may have done
the same thing here in Houston for a remodeling project which also
required permitting and inspection.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Steve Turner[_3_] December 30th 09 08:17 PM

On Dec 29, 8:38 am, wrote:
[...]

All you bastids and your raves about SketchUp... I'm like RonB; I've been a
TurboCAD nut for the past 10 years or so, but every once in a while (mainly due
to all you guys raving about it here on the wreck) I make the attempt to gain
some ground with SketchUp, and I always fail miserably. This time I bring it
up (and install the NEW version, for the 27th time), and the *first* thing I
want to do is draw a simple rounded rectangle and extrude it (push/pull in
SketchUp speak) into the shape of a mattress. Do you think I can figure out
how to draw a simple "rounded rectangle"? Hell no! According to the online
help (which never seems to match the version I'm using), there IS such a
function, but only after about an hour of piddling around I finally figure out
it only comes in the PRO version of SketchUp, and I'll be damned if I'm
spending $500 on that! That's almost as much as the latest version of TurboCAD
Pro, and there ain't NO software product that's going to force that much money
out of my wallet...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Swingman December 30th 09 08:30 PM

On 12/30/2009 2:17 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Not true at all, Steve.

There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it
comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the
Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro
version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the
Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the
free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not
snapping to it! :)

Make your rectangle using the rectangle too; use the Arc tool to make
your rounded corners in the rectangle; Erase the corners; Use the
Push/Pull tool to lift the face of the now rounded rectangle up to the
desire thickness of the mattress.

If you want, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.

Just let me know and I'll post it on my website for download and post
the link here.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Steve Turner[_3_] December 30th 09 08:47 PM

On 12/30/2009 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it
comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the
Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

So I've heard as well, but then how do you explain this:

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=95602

where it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four different
icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to select), but my free
version of SketchUp only has one. This functionality is apparently part of the
"LayOut" product:

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/product/layout.html

Which is only included in the Pro version of SketchUp.

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro
version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the
Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the
free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not
snapping to it! :)

I spent all the time I did knowing full well there was probably an alternate
way of doing it (as you're about to explain), but by the time I finished
arriving at that conclusion I was already ticked enough to close the program
and walk away.

Make your rectangle using the rectangle too; use the Arc tool to make
your rounded corners in the rectangle; Erase the corners; Use the
Push/Pull tool to lift the face of the now rounded rectangle up to the
desire thickness of the mattress.

If you want, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.

Just let me know and I'll post it on my website for download and post
the link here.

This brings me to another line of questions, but I'm in no mood to ask them at
the moment so I'll save that for a follow-up post. Thanks for bearing with me
though. :-)

Right now I need to become a quality Czech (see below). :-)