Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick question on Sketchup

I drew some stud wall framing the other day.

Now, when I try to move stud sections, It tends to grab and distort the
surfaces that the stud is touching.

I guess (I'm new to Sketchup) that once touching, surfaces become joined.

Also, it's a real pain to select all surfaces and vertices on each stud
without getting surrounding bits.

What did I do wrong? Should I have made a stud, then grouped it's
constituent parts. Is it too late to rescue my drawing?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What did I do wrong? Should I have made a stud, then grouped it's
constituent parts. Is it too late to rescue my drawing?

Yes, it's better to create components as you go, then create further
components out of those components etc - it's the whole secret of good
CAD. But all is not lost, use the "dashed rectangle" tool to select/
mark all the parts of the stud you want to move (and use ctrl-
leftclick to add any bits you missed).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr, 15:21, " wrote:
What did I do wrong? Should I have made a stud, then grouped it's
constituent parts. Is it too late to rescue my drawing?

Yes, it's better to create components as you go, then create further
components out of those components etc - it's the whole secret of good
CAD. But all is not lost, use the "dashed rectangle" tool to select/
mark all the parts of the stud you want to move (and use ctrl-
leftclick to add any bits you missed).

Alternatively use layers - ie the wall is Layer 0, make a new layer,
select that layer for working on and draw the studs, etc on that
layer.

Dom's right on the recovery.

SU does take a bit of getting used to but then so do any on the CAD
programs and it's quite impresive what you can do in SU without much
learning. The headaches do come from distorting earlier parts of the
drawing if you don't 'lock' it in some way - hard experience and
having to start again sadly.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
coughed up some electrons that declared:

What did I do wrong? Should I have made a stud, then grouped it's
constituent parts. Is it too late to rescue my drawing?

Yes, it's better to create components as you go, then create further
components out of those components etc - it's the whole secret of good
CAD. But all is not lost, use the "dashed rectangle" tool to select/
mark all the parts of the stud you want to move (and use ctrl-
leftclick to add any bits you missed).

OK - ta. I'll try that. It's not too late to make new components and switch
them in I guess.

I'm used to "house CAD" where a beam is a beam and a wall is a wall, rather
than a collection of surfaces

Once you make it a component, then it becomes an object.

So making a stud wall becomes very quick:

1) Define one stud and make it a component
2) Select the move tool and tap CTRL (to enable move with copy)
3) drag copy in direction you want - no need to worry about spacing.
4) once you drop it, type the amount of move in mm - say "400mm" - that
will position it accurately.
5) Now type the number of copies you want with an "x" say "x5" for five
additional copies.

So the actions become "M CTRL Drag 400mmcrx5cr" to do a hole row of
studs.

The other really useful trick is to note that if you click and drag you
can use a rubber band selection to select bits. However if to drag down
and right then only objects completely contained within the rubber
banded box will be selected. If you drag down and left then any object
you touch will be selected. (same applies with dragging up). This can be
a good way to select bits that are in close proximity to others.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alternatively use layers - ie the wall is Layer 0, make a new layer,
select that layer for working on and draw the studs, etc on that
layer.

Good advice, and possibly hard for a beginner to see until they've
tied themselves in a knot. It's really useful once a diagram gets
crowded to be able turn off all the layers not of interest - so you
might have layers for concrete foundations, masonry walls, windows &
doors, structural timber, flooring, roof covering etc.

Another Sketchup Question Jeff Gorman Woodworking 2 March 10th 09 07:36 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 0 March 8th 09 02:57 PM
Quick Question PanHandler Home Repair 3 December 28th 06 05:53 AM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
OT a quick terrorism question CROQ Metalworking 36 December 19th 03 03:41 PM