Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Question

I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we
want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the
pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As components,
pieces move easily.

Here is my question:

I made a bookshelf side (component) with some hidden dados cut for shelves.
I entered the depth manually.

Then I made a shelf (component).

Then by working from various orientations, I was able to move a shelf into
the bookshelf side.

However, I was just "eye-balling" it. I couldn't really tell "how far" in
the shelf was into the dado.

Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this
would be that you could messure the size of
the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to
approach this with SketchUp?

In general, I'm really just learning to assemble components. Suggestions
welcome, of course.

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
[...]

If the dado is not blind on both ends, there is an easy way to get
perfect alignment. If it is blind on both ends, you need X-ray view.

Pan or rotate your view (not the piece) so that you can see the
not-blind end of the dado as well as the other end of the dado. Make
sure the shelf is in the same view. With the Move tool, click on the
corner of the shelf that will be snugging into the furthest reach of the
dado. (You'll get a purple dot with the message "Endpoint in Component")

With the Move tool, move that point close to the end of the dado (the
hidden end). You are again looking for "Endpoint in Component" to
confirm that you've wedded the pieces properly. Likely you won't on
first pass, and you may have to pan, rotate, or zoom to ensure that
they're lined up perfectly.

You have to futz with the views a lot the first few times to get it
right. After that, it gets a bit easier.

If you really can't get a view that works, switch to X-ray or wireframe
(ViewFacestyleX-Ray) and follow the same steps.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this
would be that you could messure the size of
the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to
approach this with SketchUp?

Many ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to to use "xray" view and
the Move tool to move the shelf into the hidden dado using the
appropriate corner/"inference" point.

To learn more about SU's "inference engine", which is extremely helpful
in placing components in a model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfmIgJqlIw

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from it!
Some times things have to be done differently.

Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with
the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf
"out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners
as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle command.
Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado and end in
the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a rectangle
the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow rectangle
to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then convert that
shelf into a component.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from
it!
Some times things have to be done differently.

Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with
the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf
"out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners
as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle
command. Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado
and end in the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a
rectangle the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow
rectangle to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then
convert that shelf into a component.

An additional note, you mentioned hidden dado's. If you are using stopped
dados condiser using the method mentioned above from the back side where the
dado actually exits/starts. If stopped on both front and back use the
method above but turn on x-ray so that you can see the bottoms of the dado's
and draw the rectangle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon, Tanus, and Swingman,

Thank you for your SketchUp tips! I'll try them during this evening's
practice session!
I haven't tried the X-Ray view yet.

Thanks,
Bill

"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we
want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the
pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As
components, pieces move easily.

Here is my question:

Thank you,
Bill

I posted my progress with stopped dados, et. al. as pdf files under the
thread "SketchUp Workbench3" at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Admittedly, it took almost 5 hours, but I had fun most of the time...

Now I need to learn how to (really) make drawers, and the things that go
with them. SketchUp really does
appear to encourage thinking about design--helping one visualize and
allowing one to alternate between the
macro and micro aspects. A room full of power tools, would distract me from
being as attentive to detail as I
am learning to be.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Question - Must View

For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24"
office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:48:11 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup?
LOL

Good Video.

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24"
office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.

That's why dual monitors are so popular.
Posted to rec.woodworking

For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/29/09 9:51 AM, Swingman wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here.
SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Excellent Swing. Here's another that I'd say is a prerequisite for that
one. Much of the same stuff, a bit slower and also a must for the
woodworker. Once you learn the basics and the hot keys, this one is
excellent to follow along with Sketchup in one window, and the tutorial
in another.

http://garykatz.blip.tv/file/2375765/

--
Jack
Got Change: 5% Unemployment ====== 10% Unemployment!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Swingman wrote:
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the
link below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

Excellent Swing. Here's another that I'd say is a prerequisite for that
one. Much of the same stuff, a bit slower and also a must for the
woodworker. Once you learn the basics and the hot keys, this one is
excellent to follow along with Sketchup in one window, and the tutorial
in another.

http://garykatz.blip.tv/file/2375765/

Yeah, Buddy ... Gary Katz has a great website for woodworkers in
general. For those who haven't visited it, it is worth the trip.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jack!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link
below is a must view video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

+10

You and Leon already helped me get up and running with SketchUp earlier this
year (thanks)! I really enjoyed the video--nice to see a real master at
work. I have a long way to go...but so far so good! For those who haven't
tried SketchUp yet, please do! : )

Bill

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-...

Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will
learn by taking the time to just run through it once.

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to
invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago
(early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for
years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long
time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not
learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and
start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting
equipment some day.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

Thanks for the link .... I think.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 8:17 AM, RonB wrote:
On Dec 29, 8:38 am, wrote:
[...]

LOL ... well you do have one BIG hill to climb ... overcoming the
resistance to the program due to ANY previous experience with CAD.

Most of us who fall in that category generally install SU, then wipe it,
two or three times, before the light finally comes on.

SU is NOT "CAD", it is 3D modeling software, and should be approached
with that sea change in mind. You approach it as a traditional CAD
program and you'll do the above, almost guaranteed.

Biggest tip I can give you with SU is to approach it much like you would
when building a piece in the shop - by drawing the same individual
"components" of the project, ie legs, aprons, top, etc., EXACTLY as you
would do in the shop, then put them together.

This is illustrated nicely in the video link I posted, and can't be
emphasized enough.

For modeling woodworking projects, think "COMPONENTS" ... say it again,
class: COMPONENTS!

Good luck, Ron ... you got any question, just holler. I'm far from an
expert with it, but without reading a single book, I built a custom
home, from foundation up, using nothing but plans generated by SU, for
both bidding, construction, and inspection ... it was not something I
initially wanted to do, but it was done nonetheless, and handsomely so.

I'm not the only one ...I think one of the other wRec'ers may have done
the same thing here in Houston for a remodeling project which also
required permitting and inspection.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 29, 8:38 am, wrote:
[...]

All you bastids and your raves about SketchUp... I'm like RonB; I've been a
TurboCAD nut for the past 10 years or so, but every once in a while (mainly due
to all you guys raving about it here on the wreck) I make the attempt to gain
some ground with SketchUp, and I always fail miserably. This time I bring it
up (and install the NEW version, for the 27th time), and the *first* thing I
want to do is draw a simple rounded rectangle and extrude it (push/pull in
SketchUp speak) into the shape of a mattress. Do you think I can figure out
how to draw a simple "rounded rectangle"? Hell no! According to the online
help (which never seems to match the version I'm using), there IS such a
function, but only after about an hour of piddling around I finally figure out
it only comes in the PRO version of SketchUp, and I'll be damned if I'm
spending $500 on that! That's almost as much as the latest version of TurboCAD
Pro, and there ain't NO software product that's going to force that much money
out of my wallet...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 2:17 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Not true at all, Steve.

There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it
comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the
Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro
version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the
Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the
free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not
snapping to it!

Make your rectangle using the rectangle too; use the Arc tool to make
your rounded corners in the rectangle; Erase the corners; Use the
Push/Pull tool to lift the face of the now rounded rectangle up to the
desire thickness of the mattress.

If you want, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.

Just let me know and I'll post it on my website for download and post
the link here.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to
invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago
(early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for
years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long
time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not
learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and
start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting
equipment some day.

I was formally taught on the board with the T-square and triangles, and to
toot my own horn was pretty good at. I was placing high in college
competition drawing contests when in HS.
For other reasons I did not pursue that path in college or in my career.

I am totally self taught on CAD programs starting with IMSI Designer in 1986
and strictly using arrow keys for defined units of measure and no pointing
device to Auto CAD LT. I thought AUtoCAD was simple,,, huh?

If you already have a working knowledge of CAD programs and how to draw,
Sketchup can be conquered. ;~)

The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will do
everything you need to learn the program.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 2:48 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various "plugins":

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when
learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will
do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various
"plugins":

Probably. I am only showing/using 72 icons on my version. Of those icons I
probably only use 20 regularily and of those 20 many are simply different
view icons. And I typically use a simple keyboard command in place of
clicking on an icon.

99% of the time I use

"L" for line, "P" for push/pull, "M" for move, "M + CTL" for copy. "T"
for measure, "Space Bar" for select. "Space Bar + CTL" for multiple
erase...

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT KEY OF ALL

The letter "G" to make a group of lines that look like a piece of wood into
a "COMPONENT" You do not have to name it when prompted if you dont want to,
a default name will be provided.

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

Google Sketchup Plugins and you will get a load of web sites with plugins.

Some sites I like are

http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrary..._sections.html
https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/tweak
http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117
http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm
http://www.smustard.com/ Smustard even has a plugin to take you to their
site to down load plugins. ;~) Some are pay plug ins.

Plugins I like to have extra

The Angle Dimension plug in.
The Cut List 4.0 plug in for transfering your components in the CutListPro
opt program. Becareful there are other Cutlist plug ins that IMHO are not
as good as CUTLIST "4.0".

And others which I have probably forgotten about due to lack of use.

I also like to assign short cut key strokes to the frequently used icons. I
forget where to look but there is a page to print that lists all the short
cut key commands and mouse functions. I like to orbit by clicking and
holding my middle mouse button and moving the mouse, or in my case my center
scroll wheel and thumb ball. I prefer to not click on icons unless
necessary, I'd rather press a key or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when
learning
Sketchup were the simple video tutorials.
Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the
program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of
available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they
will do
everything you need to learn the program.

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various
"plugins":

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/d...d/plugins.html

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous
to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll
see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the
few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

I really don't use that many ... most just make it more convenient to do
something that some users simply haven't gotten around to learning how
to do ... a la training wheels on a bicycle.

That said, there are some plug-ins that are really handy for
construction projects, like plug-ins for drawing frame walls between two
points, with the ability to use either 2x6 or 2x4's, put in windows and
doors, with different parameters for headers. I use those when designing
structures, but for woodworking projects, except for the CutList plugin,
I most often use only the tools on the toolbar (same in both versions)
and no other plug-ins whatsoever.

AMMOF, using SketchUp, I just designed and built a $20,000 deck for a
client and used no plug-ins whatsoever. Didn't even need the Pro version
for "presentation" because I sent the client the .skp file as they had
the free version already loaded on their Mac.

FWIW, here is just the framing plan for that deck that I simply printed
out for RFQ's, and for the actual construction:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Deck-Concept6PierBeam .zip

I did a much fancier version for the client, with the house and deck
together, but it is bit big to post on my server.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2009 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

Any recommended "must haves" from this list?

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous
to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll
see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the
few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

As you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 58 October 11th 09 10:23 PM
Sketchup question notbob Woodworking 49 June 5th 09 01:53 AM
Quick question on Sketchup Tim S UK diy 5 April 4th 09 05:18 PM
Another Sketchup Question Jeff Gorman Woodworking 2 March 10th 09 07:36 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 0 March 8th 09 02:57 PM