Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT How can anyone take PETA seriousely?

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:54:49 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

Corn takes too much space even without planting a share for deer and
rabbits are more likely to get the low stuff, anyway. We usually try
to ring the garden with lettuce and similar rabbit foods, while
planting marigolds to help keep the deer off. The extra rabbit food
lworks for a time, but the marigolds are a waste of seed in a
vegetable garden.

We're developing a really serious deer over-population here, almost
doubling in just over 30 years. Deer-car accidents are up a massive
amount each year. The hunters love it. I think the hunting kill is now
approaching 8,000 annually in a county with 750 square miles. It's
possible, IIRC, to kill something like eight deer legally each year.
Maybe more by now. A friend is trying to thin the herds feeding on a
grower's berry patches this year. He sometimes kills that many a week.
It used to be possible to deposit those carcasses with the local Food
Bank, but new regs say they must be buried, not eaten. Evidently,
they're a health hazard at this time of year.

This may sound a little nasty but it worked for me.

I had a square of corn and a pumpkin patch for a few years and the
deer and groundhogs went to town on it.

I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Pretty much got rid of the problem.

Some may argue that it was the faint tincture of not-fully-processed
Tullamore Dew that did the trick and I can't say that it wasn't but
would be happy to hear the results from someone who drinks a different
brand of whiskey.

As always,

YMMV

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an
organization like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one
takes them seriously
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

PETA does have its place. For example, if not for PETA, we wouldn't have a
chance to see Che Guevara's granddaughter nekkid!

"Lydia Guevara poses semi-nude in a PETA campaign that tells viewers to
"join the vegetarian revolution," said PETA spokesman Michael McGraw."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/..._granddaughter

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

This may sound a little nasty but it worked for me.

I had a square of corn and a pumpkin patch for a few years and the
deer and groundhogs went to town on it.

I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Pretty much got rid of the problem.

Some may argue that it was the faint tincture of not-fully-processed
Tullamore Dew that did the trick and I can't say that it wasn't but
would be happy to hear the results from someone who drinks a
different
brand of whiskey.

Is that your version of "marking" your territory?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:59:08 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Is that your version of "marking" your territory?

Lew

That is exactly where the idea came from.

A buddy of mine who has hunted a lot more deer than me was talking to
me about how dumb some guys are because they urinate near their tree
stand and how the scent keeps deer away.

I figured I'd try it out on the garden and it seemed to work pretty
good.

Seemed to work on the groundhogs, too. They had been eating the
flowers off the pumpkin plants as soon as they would appear. Once
'the treatments' started - no more problems.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

This may sound a little nasty but it worked for me.

I had a square of corn and a pumpkin patch for a few years and the
deer and groundhogs went to town on it.

I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Pretty much got rid of the problem.

Kept /me/ away.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

"World's Fastest Indian", and peeing on the lemon tree ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message ...
"PDQ" wrote:
===================================
Would have liked to meet him.
My youth was equally as well wasted.
Squirrels by .22 - anything up to 300 yds was "done for".
Pool by night.
Our pool hall was in the basement of the town hall which also housed
the cop shop and the jail.
2 tables for "bang ball" and 2 14 footers for the serious pool and
billiards players.
No "bang ball" experts were allowed on the pool tables.
====================================

My dad cashed in his hand in '59 at far too young an age, but that's
life

Sounds like we grew up in similar small farm community type
towns.(Mine was less than 20,000).

20,000 - that's a full blown city! My town was 675 when we got there in '51 and was 4 less when we moved in '58.

My dad belonged to the Odd Fellows and I received much of my early
pool hall training on their tables, so by the time I was 16, wanted to
venture out.

I had 7 years ot training by the post master who ran the pool hall. Being "old school", my dad thought it was an abomination that his son frequented this den of iniquity. He didn't have any alternatives when I asked him what other pass-times were available in the town.

Had a bar on the town square, that also served some good food, that
was mostly a 9 ball or an 8 ball house, both of which I found boring.

We had 2 hotels on the main street across from each other. One had a vintage pool table in an equally ancient room. Midnight used to be quite a scene - last call in one caused a trail of drunks leading across the street to the other.

Must say they did have one billiard table with honest to god ivory
balls, good felt, and live rails.

Had some interesting matches on that table.

Down the street, in the basement under the movie house was the hangout
for the younger set.

Had a full blown snooker table with good felt and live rails.

That table taught me finesse.

That kind of table taught me "pocket weight" and how to use some serious "juice".

I designed and implemented a 25x25 room in my basement to house a proper pool table. I went to our local emporium to get my 14 footer only to fine out all that is made any more is 3.5 x 7.5 (?).

Don't know what to do with that size band-box. Even smaller than the "bang-ball" tables.

By the time I went away to school, had developed some serious skills,
but school beckoned and I basically hung up my cue stick to pursue an
education.

Lew

Played all through school. Even had a friend who played on the night before his Actuarials and still passed with honours. I was never of that caliber

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:28:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"World's Fastest Indian", and peeing on the lemon tree ...

Man, you're gonna get them lemons tastin' mighty funny.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Tom Watson wrote:

A buddy of mine who has hunted a lot more deer than me was talking to
me about how dumb some guys are because they urinate near their tree
stand and how the scent keeps deer away.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who likewise has hunted a lot more deer
than me lent me a video once, in which two guys peed into a jug, sprinkled the
contents around the edge of the field, then went into a tree blind with a
video camera. They filmed a herd of deer -- two or three mature bucks and a
dozen or so does and juveniles of both sexes -- come into the field and sniff
around. The does seemed to not care much one way or the other; the mature
bucks were *attracted* to it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote

I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Pretty much got rid of the problem.

Some may argue that it was the faint tincture of not-fully-processed
Tullamore Dew that did the trick and I can't say that it wasn't but
would be happy to hear the results from someone who drinks a different
brand of whiskey.

Damn, there is a marketing program that ought to appeal to the rural set.
Drink our booze and keep the deer out of the garden!

Remeber that movie of the true story of the teacher who went back to major
leagues to pitch baseball? He was coaching a high school baseball team that
had a field that the deer were wrecking. He mentioned it to the local barber
shop.

The barber came up with a solution. They collected all the cut hair each day
and put it around the field. The deer stopped coming and the field grew
back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is that your version of "marking" your territory?

Lew

That is exactly where the idea came from.

A buddy of mine who has hunted a lot more deer than me was talking to
me about how dumb some guys are because they urinate near their tree
stand and how the scent keeps deer away.

I figured I'd try it out on the garden and it seemed to work pretty
good.

Seemed to work on the groundhogs, too. They had been eating the
flowers off the pumpkin plants as soon as they would appear. Once
'the treatments' started - no more problems.

This Tom Watson guy is a real man! He can communicate in the most basic,
biological way possible. **** is a powerful signal to animals. My dog
certainly thinks so.

I just would have never thought of doing it on this kind of scale. I can
think of some times on the farm where this little nugget would have served
us well. Interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Sounds like a missed opportunity to me. You could have got out there with a
few cases of beer and over the course of several nights, "marked" your
territory.

An excuse to go drinking
Communing with nature
Protecting your corn and pumpkins.

A win, win, win scenario.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in

.... snip
There's also the statement:

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats"

And: "I'm an indirect vegetarian" is another one.

I like that one. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

That is exactly where the idea came from.

Think I'd prefer my 12 GA with some slugs and the 100,000 CP spot
light from the boat.

At least there would be meat on the table.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:51:29 -0400, "PDQ" wrote:

Squirrels by .22 - anything up to 300 yds was "done for".

A quick look at my ballistics charts shows that a .22 LR will drop
about 4 *feet* by 300 yards, depending on zero. I seriously doubt that
you would be able to even sight on something the size of a squirrel
that far out unless you had either a very sophisticated scope or tall
tang peep sight.

It's not strictly impossible, but no one is doing that with a set of
standard bead and notch sight.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Two Down - Two to Go!

I just spent last week controlling prairie dogs on Dad's place. 100 yards
with a 22-250 and a good scope is very do-able 178 yards? Not so much.
Given that a prairie dog is about 3 times bigger than your standard
squirrel and that 22-250 shoots nice and flat out to 300 yards or so,
hitting something at 300 yards with a 22 seems a stretch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in newsqY_l.130$9l4.10
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

"Tom Watson" wrote:

That is exactly where the idea came from.

Think I'd prefer my 12 GA with some slugs and the 100,000 CP spot
light from the boat.

At least there would be meat on the table.

Lew

Do you still have to shoot it after you've blinded it?

Puckdroppper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:53:43 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

One can only hope that your farm is not called,
'The Ponderosa'.

There are limits.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Do you still have to shoot it after you've blinded it?

If I expect to put meat on the table, yes.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:49:36 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote

[...]

That was Floyd.

He told Andy.

Andy didn't agree.

He talked to Officer Krupke.

He didn't agree neither.

They talked to Barney.

Barney started singing.

Thought they was in a musical.

Andy asked him why he thought that.

Barney said, "What about Officer Krupke?"

Andy said. "Who the **** is Officer Krupke?"

Barney said, "I never heard you talk like that, Andy."

Floyd just shook his head.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:jFY_l.135$9l4.118
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Do you still have to shoot it after you've blinded it?

If I expect to put meat on the table, yes.

Lew

Oh. Well, I thought you could just sneak up on it after you've blinded
it and take it home. ;-)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mark & Juanita wrote in
m:

Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in

... snip
There's also the statement:

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats"

And: "I'm an indirect vegetarian" is another one.

I like that one. :-)

It isn't mine, but my buddy's. He is a rightist almost to the extreme,
but also the other grandfather of my granddaughters. We get along very
nicely, since we disagree on politics so much. However, our ultimate
ideas of responsibilities and "proper" behavior are identical. Shows how
left and right can get together.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Do you still have to shoot it after you've blinded it?

If I expect to put meat on the table, yes.

Lew

Oh. Well, I thought you could just sneak up on it after you've blinded
it and take it home. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBa0blUoE8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoVws_o8To

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Oh. Well, I thought you could just sneak up on it after you've
blinded
it and take it home. ;-)

BTW, how is the entertainment center project coming along?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I love it when PETA does these kinds of things. It just emphasizes
what a bunch of nincompoops they really are.

I wonder how many of them have experience food poisoning from fly
borne bacteria? We had more than 150 people get sick, two
hospitalized, after a company pot-luck dinner at a lake shelter. The
health department determined that the park trash cans had not be
properly emptied after a previous event, drawing a large number of
flies. The flies transferred bacteria from the cans to the food and
everyone got a good case of the s**ts. I can only wish the same luck
on PETA.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Tom,
It must have been the TUllamore Dew,b ecause I don't drink and the
urine attempt worked for about a week, maybe 10 days, to keep deer
out.

That's all ANYTHING seems to work. I wish coyote pee wasn't so
blinking expensive or I'd try that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:33:14 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

Tom,
It must have been the TUllamore Dew,b ecause I don't drink and the
urine attempt worked for about a week, maybe 10 days, to keep deer
out.

That's all ANYTHING seems to work. I wish coyote pee wasn't so
blinking expensive or I'd try that.

Obviously your deer have a lead deficiency.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tom,
It must have been the TUllamore Dew,b ecause I don't drink and the
urine attempt worked for about a week, maybe 10 days, to keep deer
out.

That's all ANYTHING seems to work. I wish coyote pee wasn't so
blinking expensive or I'd try that.

Obviously your deer have a lead deficiency.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Well, it can create problems. Commercial farms and orchards can shoot
'em this time of year. I can't. If you do shoot them, you have to bury
the damned things. You can't eat them and you can't donate them. Too
much fear of tick-borne diseases now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

=================================
Well, it can create problems. Commercial farms and orchards can shoot
'em this time of year. I can't. If you do shoot them, you have to bury
the damned things. You can't eat them and you can't donate them. Too
much fear of tick-borne diseases now.
==================================

Time for man to quit screwing things up any more than he already has
and reintroduce wolves back into the area.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wrote:
Time for man to quit screwing things up any more than he already has
and reintroduce wolves back into the area.

As an alternate for urbanized areas, salt licks laced with sterility
drugs.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 4:50*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote:

=================================
Well, it can create problems. Commercial farms and orchards can shoot
'em this time of year. I can't. If you do shoot them, you have to bury
the damned things. You can't eat them and you can't donate them. Too
much fear of tick-borne diseases now.
==================================

Time for man to quit screwing things up any more than he already has
and reintroduce wolves back into the area.

Lew

****, yeah, Lew. This area is turning suburban retirement, so in
addition to more bears and coyotes, we need wolves. Maybe if mountain
lions weren't so shy, they could contribute to the mix.

One good thing about the predators: maybe they'd keep some of the lake
lovers and others who can afford overpriced land and houses out of the
area in fear of their children or pets getting ripped up. Of courose,
I talked to a guy yesterday whose Jack Russell terrier was all but
pulled apart--that evidently was the intent--by coyotes, so...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

=================================
****, yeah, Lew. This area is turning suburban retirement, so in
addition to more bears and coyotes, we need wolves. Maybe if mountain
lions weren't so shy, they could contribute to the mix.

One good thing about the predators: maybe they'd keep some of the lake
lovers and others who can afford overpriced land and houses out of the
area in fear of their children or pets getting ripped up. Of courose,
I talked to a guy yesterday whose Jack Russell terrier was all but
pulled apart--that evidently was the intent--by coyotes, so...
Sounds like you need some of our SoCal mountain lions, they've been
forced to overcome their shyness in many places.

As far as the Jack Russell's are concerned, coyotes just say "yum
yum".

Lew