Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default OT How can anyone take PETA seriousely?

On Jun 19, 4:47*pm, Tom Watson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:54:49 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

wrote:
Corn takes too much space even without planting a share for deer and
rabbits are more likely to get the low stuff, anyway. We usually try
to ring the garden with lettuce and similar rabbit foods, while
planting marigolds to help keep the deer off. The extra rabbit food
lworks for a time, but the marigolds are a waste of seed in a
vegetable garden.

We're developing a really serious deer over-population here, almost
doubling in just over 30 years. Deer-car accidents are up a massive
amount each year. The hunters love it. I think the hunting kill is now
approaching 8,000 annually in a county with 750 square miles. It's
possible, IIRC, to kill something like eight deer legally each year.
Maybe more by now. A friend is trying to thin the herds feeding on a
grower's berry patches this year. He sometimes kills that many a week.
It used to be possible to deposit those carcasses with the local Food
Bank, but new regs say they must be buried, not eaten. Evidently,
they're a health hazard at this time of year.

This may sound a little nasty but it worked for me.

I had a square of corn and a pumpkin patch for a few years and the
deer and groundhogs went to town on it.

I saved up some urine (mine) in a five gallon drywall bucket and
poured it in a perimeter around the planting area.

Pretty much got rid of the problem.

Some may argue that it was the faint tincture of not-fully-processed
Tullamore Dew that did the trick and I can't say that it wasn't but
would be happy to hear the results from someone who drinks a different
brand of whiskey.

As always,

YMMV

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Tom,
It must have been the TUllamore Dew,b ecause I don't drink and the
urine attempt worked for about a week, maybe 10 days, to keep deer
out.

That's all ANYTHING seems to work. I wish coyote pee wasn't so
blinking expensive or I'd try that.