Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT How can anyone take PETA seriousely?

I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization
like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

Is there any wonder why we are where we are?

I suggest the government use 25% of that trillion dollar stimulus package to
fund and require the classes listed below in every school, grades 7 through
12. And everyone must pass all grades before graduating!

1. "Friggin" Common Sense 101-601
2. Personal Finance and Budgeting 101-601
3. Understanding what borrowing money and carrying a balance on a credit
card really costs you. 101-601

"All" politicians must take these classes and pass before receiving another
pay check and returning to office.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
"Leon" writes:
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization
like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

There is a theory running around (and has been for years) that
NAMBLA (the North American Man-Boy Love Association, advocates for
eliminating age-of-consent laws) does not actually exist, but rather
is a conservative sock puppet to keep people equating homosexuals
with child molesters.

As time passes, I see PeTA more and more that way. They are so
intentionally whacked out that I can't believe they are really are
trying to improve treatment of animals.

But I believe it was Twain who said that truth is stranger than
fiction because fiction has to make sense.

--
Drew Lawson For it's not the fall, but landing,
That will alter your social standing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization
like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

I believe in catch and release for flies, mosquitoes, ticks and other small
pesky critters. It's bad though how many of them do not live through my
catch, they seem crushed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization
like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

The big PETA media thing in Seattle is that they are protesting the "fish
throw" at the pike place public market. Apparently fish get their feeling
hurt if hurled. What these morons don't understand is that the "fish hurl"
was a solution to getting fish over a counter in a very crowed public
market. In other words, the business would not do as well if they didn't do
this. It isn't just a publicity thing. It is a practical thing that supports
jobs and business.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420a...wing_fish.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

We were at a pool party once and my oldest daughter swatted and killed a
fly. One of the other guests started crying and ran in the house over the
death of the fly. The rest of the guests just laughed at the peta lady. We
later found out peta lady is also a pet communicator - WTF.

If putting mascara on bunny rabbits will cure my wife's cancer, I'll hold
the bunny down.

cm
"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

I think the government should use some of the stimulus money to conduct a
study to see if the common house fly is a threatened species. A will only
cost a couple of billion dollars and it will keep a few PhD's busy for a
dozen years or so.

I also think the only reason that the President could kill the fly is that
it was overweight. Most likely caused by eating full strength mayonnaise
off of some potato salad during a picnic last weekend. The government
should require that all picnic foods be low fat, or at a minimum, the fat
content be adequately displayed so flies can make a proper choice on whose
picnic to disrupt.

I live next door to a animal loving, tree hugging, wack job. This behavior
is the norm for them - trust me.

BTW - Did you ever want to ask Noah why he brought 2 mosquitoes on the ark
to begin with?

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.tastyanimals.us/tasty-splash-1.gif

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an
organization like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one
takes them seriously
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

I used to wonder as you do now. Then I read "The True Believer" by Eric
Hoffer.

Hoffer says people join mass movements to add meaning to their otherwise
meaningless lives, that people mind their own business when it's worth
minding; when it's not they take their mind off their own nothingness by
minding other people's business.

Other gems:
* A mass movement can exist without a god, but it will surely fail without a
devil. The movement must have something to hate. In this case, people who
kill flies (no one cares if flies die of natural causes - there's nobody to
hate).
* People join movements first, THEN adopt the putative goals of the group.
* Membership in mass movements is interchangeable. Whether Fascism,
ban-the-bra, down with nuclear power, or put modesty clothing on farm
animals, the memberships overlap significantly.

Now, when I see a march for democracy in Iran or gays carrying "freedom to
choose" banners, I merely shake my head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an
organization like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one
takes them seriously
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

PETA is adept at using outrageous stunts to get publicity for itself. Once
it has people's attention it then presents two faces. The first is more
reasonable and convinces millions of people to donate millions of dollars to
the organization so they can prevent animal cruelty blah blah. The second
face, the one they don't promote so much, is moonbat crazy. PETA's goals
include eliminating *all* use of animals by humans--food, companionship,
clothing, medicine--everything. In PETA's world beloved pets are actually
slaves, and PETA has been known to kill dogs and cats they have "liberated"
from animal shelters rather than risk those animals again coming under human
control. Yup, carpet-chewing crazy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:

I live next door to a animal loving, tree hugging, wack job. This
behavior is the norm for them - trust me.

BTW - Did you ever want to ask Noah why he brought 2 mosquitoes on
the ark to begin with?

Relate the following to your neighbor:

Adam & Eve were vegetarians.* It was only Noah and his descendants that God
gave permission to eat meat.**

Now Adam & Eve started out in trouble. By the time of Noah, the world was so
hoplessly depraved, corrupt, and wicked that God had to destroy it and start
over!***

I don't KNOW that there's a connection between vegetarianism and debauchery,
but I'm not willing to take the chance.

------
For those that want to look stuff up:
* Gen 1:29, 2:16, 3:18
** Gen 9:3
*** Not that Noah was a gem. The Bible calls him "righteous in his
generation," meaning he was merely the best of a bad lot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:22:35 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

I support PETA...

People Eating Tasty Animals

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
In other words, the business would not do as well if they didn't do
this.

You just discovered their real objective.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 18, 9:59*am, "cm" wrote:
We were at a pool party once and my oldest daughter swatted and killed a
fly. One of the other guests started crying and ran in the house over the
death of the fly. The rest of the guests just laughed at the peta lady. We
later found out peta lady is also a pet communicator - WTF.

If putting mascara on bunny rabbits will cure my wife's cancer, I'll hold
the bunny down.

I'D TATOO HOPPY'S LITTLE ASS..
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Robatoy writes:
On Jun 18, 9:59*am, "cm" wrote:
We were at a pool party once and my oldest daughter swatted and killed a
fly. One of the other guests started crying and ran in the house over the
death of the fly. The rest of the guests just laughed at the peta lady. We
later found out peta lady is also a pet communicator - WTF.

If putting mascara on bunny rabbits will cure my wife's cancer, I'll hold
the bunny down.

I'D TATOO HOPPY'S LITTLE ASS..

I believe there is a newsgroup for that, but you need binary access.

--
Drew Lawson

"Please understand that we are considerably less interested
in you than you are."
-- Madeleine Page, on the deep truths of alt.folklore.urban

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the only
viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"Leon" wrote in
:

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the only
viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

I've always admired the argument that "If God didn't mean for man to eat
animals, he wouldn'ta made 'em outa meat."

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word that
means "lousy hunter".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"Leon" wrote in
:

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the
only viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

I've always admired the argument that "If God didn't mean for man to
eat animals, he wouldn'ta made 'em outa meat."

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word that
means "lousy hunter".

I have the most respect for vegetarians. They are generally the most
peaceloving people. It requires a lot of work to get a balanced diet,
though, since some of our dietary requirements are almost exclusively
meat-derived. Thus I also think many vegetarians who do not get a
balanced diet are misguided, to say the least.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word
that means "lousy hunter".

Maybe it was a tall tale, I'll never know, but my Dad told me that
when he was a boy he was given a rifle and ONE cartridge and told, "Go
get breakfast".

A case of get something or go hungry, you learn to shoot accurately in
a hurry under those conditions.

All I know is I watched him "Bark" squirrels with a small single shot
..22 until he was past 40 when he had to start wearing glasses and lost
his "Eye".

SFWIW, When he started wearing glasses was the first time I was able
to beat him shooting straight pool.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

[...]

Did you guys see the show a year or two ago about PETA? I had to watch out
of morbid curiosity! At one part they showed the president of PETA driving
down the road, pulling over and stopping her car to get out and check out a
dead pigeon!! A friggen pigeon, a rat with wings! The woman is certifiable!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Maybe it was a tall tale, I'll never know, but my Dad told me that when he
was a boy he was given a rifle and ONE cartridge and told, "Go get
breakfast".

Yeah - I suspect is was very much a tall tale. Variations on that theme
have been around for a long time. That though, does nothing to diminish your
Dad's skill and the value he held in that skill.

A case of get something or go hungry, you learn to shoot accurately in a
hurry under those conditions.

And of course the weak link in this theory is that absent some external
force (training or coaching of some sort, practice to develop the necessary
skills, etc.), the simple need for food does nothing magical to develop
skills like shooting skills.

All I know is I watched him "Bark" squirrels with a small single shot .22
until he was past 40 when he had to start wearing glasses and lost his
"Eye".

God bless the guy. I too began by bagging squirrels with a .22 and taking
them in one shot. I never used a shotgun to hunt squirrels. In fact, I
used a .22 to shoot pheasants when I was a youth. When I started wearing
glasses in my mid-forties, I went through a period where my shooting skills
suffered a small amount. Only though, until my vision failed enough that my
perscriptions matched what I needed to see the length of a bow draw or a
barrel length. Good shooters though, rely somewhat on instinct developed
over the years, and can usually get by on that instinct during these
adjustment periods. I'm happy to say I continue to smoke my son in terms of
deer takes. What the hell - you have to have something to be proud of...

SFWIW, When he started wearing glasses was the first time I was able to
beat him shooting straight pool.

Nah - our pool skills start to suffer as we age gracefully and let the
younger generation develop a sense of accomplishment. If we didn't do that,
they'd always just be in awe of us.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

God bless the guy. I too began by bagging squirrels with a .22 and
taking them in one shot. I never used a shotgun to hunt squirrels.

Had an uncle who used a double barreled 12 GA.

He and my dad hunted squirrels together whenever we went to visit them
and they were tough on the squirrels.

Uncle shot the low and moving stuff.

My dad took care of the high and/or the hiding ones.

Always had squirrel for dinner at least once during our visit.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Nah - our pool skills start to suffer as we age gracefully and let
the younger generation develop a sense of accomplishment. If we
didn't do that, they'd always just be in awe of us.

My old man was a money player in his youth.

He did not go graciously into that good night.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Nah - our pool skills start to suffer as we age gracefully and let
the younger generation develop a sense of accomplishment. If we
didn't do that, they'd always just be in awe of us.

My old man was a money player in his youth.

He did not go graciously into that good night.

Lew

Would have liked to meet him.
My youth was equally as well wasted.
Squirrels by .22 - anything up to 300 yds was "done for".
Pool by night.
Our pool hall was in the basement of the town hall which also housed the cop shop and the jail.
2 tables for "bang ball" and 2 14 footers for the serious pool and billiards players.
No "bang ball" experts were allowed on the pool tables.

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization
like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31422688...ws-weird_news/

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

Killing them is cruel. Some poor frog went to bed hungry last night, one
fly short of a good meal. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PDQ" wrote:
===================================
Would have liked to meet him.
My youth was equally as well wasted.
Squirrels by .22 - anything up to 300 yds was "done for".
Pool by night.
Our pool hall was in the basement of the town hall which also housed
the cop shop and the jail.
2 tables for "bang ball" and 2 14 footers for the serious pool and
billiards players.
No "bang ball" experts were allowed on the pool tables.
====================================

My dad cashed in his hand in '59 at far too young an age, but that's
life

Sounds like we grew up in similar small farm community type
towns.(Mine was less than 20,000).

My dad belonged to the Odd Fellows and I received much of my early
pool hall training on their tables, so by the time I was 16, wanted to
venture out.

Had a bar on the town square, that also served some good food, that
was mostly a 9 ball or an 8 ball house, both of which I found boring.

Must say they did have one billiard table with honest to god ivory
balls, good felt, and live rails.

Had some interesting matches on that table.

Down the street, in the basement under the movie house was the hangout
for the younger set.

Had a full blown snooker table with good felt and live rails.

That table taught me finesse.

By the time I went away to school, had developed some serious skills,
but school beckoned and I basically hung up my cue stick to pursue an
education.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Seems PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

When my oldest son was in high school, one of his past times was
creating "Walks".

To create a "walk", he would catch a fly alive, then pull off it's
wings thus creating a "walk"

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Han wrote:
"Leon" wrote in
:

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the only
viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

I've always admired the argument that "If God didn't mean for man to eat
animals, he wouldn'ta made 'em outa meat."

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word that
means "lousy hunter".

There's also the statement:

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote in news:Xns9C2ECAEA55EC4ikkezelf@
199.45.49.11:

I have the most respect for vegetarians. They are generally the most
peaceloving people. It requires a lot of work to get a balanced diet,
though, since some of our dietary requirements are almost exclusively
meat-derived. Thus I also think many vegetarians who do not get a
balanced diet are misguided, to say the least.

One of the things I find annoying about vegetarian foods is how they try
to make up for the lack of meat. If vegetarian was so good in the first
place, why attempt to make vegetarian versions of things that require
meat? Let the vegetables (and fruit) shine.

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce. (Family
joke.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce.
(Family
joke.)

Garden fresh green beans smothered in Ranch Dressing and sealed in an
aluminum pouch served directly from the bun rack of the grill after a
half hour on the grill along with a steak are Dyn-O-Mite.

Even sans steak, it works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PDQ" wrote in message

Would have liked to meet him.
My youth was equally as well wasted.
Squirrels by .22 - anything up to 300 yds was "done for".

300 yards??? Hell, I couldn't see a squirrel at 300 yards, even in the good
old days. Though I did plug quite a few woodchucks at rather amazing
distances. Don't think I ever got a shot out that far. That's an awful
range for a .22.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce. (Family
joke.)

Garden fresh green beans smothered in Ranch Dressing and sealed in an
aluminum pouch served directly from the bun rack of the grill after a half
hour on the grill along with a steak are Dyn-O-Mite.

Gardens are for tomatoes - big tomatoes that are meant to be sliced up and
put into a sandwich with nothing more than a nice spread of Miracle Whip
(not mayonnaise...), and a little salt. And sweet corn.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mark & Juanita wrote in
m:

Morris Dovey wrote:

Han wrote:
"Leon" wrote in
:

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to
eradicate cancer.

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the
only viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

I've always admired the argument that "If God didn't mean for man to
eat animals, he wouldn'ta made 'em outa meat."

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word that
means "lousy hunter".

There's also the statement:

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats"

And: "I'm an indirect vegetarian" is another one.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce.
(Family joke.)

Garden fresh green beans smothered in Ranch Dressing and sealed in an
aluminum pouch served directly from the bun rack of the grill after a
half hour on the grill along with a steak are Dyn-O-Mite.

Gardens are for tomatoes - big tomatoes that are meant to be sliced up
and put into a sandwich with nothing more than a nice spread of
Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise...), and a little salt. And sweet corn.

No sweet corn for our garden... by the time we actually get enough corn
planted for both us and the deer there's no more room in the garden for
tomatoes and green beans. (And peas... I'm not a big fan of peas, but
just can't resist fresh ones in boiling water.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 19, 7:30*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote :

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.. .

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce.
(Family joke.)

Garden fresh green beans smothered in Ranch Dressing and sealed in an
aluminum pouch served directly from the bun rack of the grill after a
half hour on the grill along with a steak are Dyn-O-Mite.

Gardens are for tomatoes - big tomatoes that are meant to be sliced up
and put into a sandwich with nothing more than a nice spread of
Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise...), and a little salt. *And sweet corn.

No sweet corn for our garden... by the time we actually get enough corn
planted for both us and the deer there's no more room in the garden for
tomatoes and green beans. *(And peas... I'm not a big fan of peas, but
just can't resist fresh ones in boiling water.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Corn takes too much space even without planting a share for deer and
rabbits are more likely to get the low stuff, anyway. We usually try
to ring the garden with lettuce and similar rabbit foods, while
planting marigolds to help keep the deer off. The extra rabbit food
lworks for a time, but the marigolds are a waste of seed in a
vegetable garden.

We're developing a really serious deer over-population here, almost
doubling in just over 30 years. Deer-car accidents are up a massive
amount each year. The hunters love it. I think the hunting kill is now
approaching 8,000 annually in a county with 750 square miles. It's
possible, IIRC, to kill something like eight deer legally each year.
Maybe more by now. A friend is trying to thin the herds feeding on a
grower's berry patches this year. He sometimes kills that many a week.
It used to be possible to deposit those carcasses with the local Food
Bank, but new regs say they must be buried, not eaten. Evidently,
they're a health hazard at this time of year.

Now, the bear population is increasing; we saw one as we came down
from breakfast at the Peaks of Otter Lodge last week, a near mature
brownie, which is usually a rare experience. Of course, many areas off
the Blue Ridge Parkway are bear country, as this is, but more bear are
moving in, seem to be a bit less shy. That will eventually create
problems.

Wild turkeys are also more numerous than ever, though they seem to
flit around in somewhat smaller flocks.

MIld winters, plenty of mast for the deer and turkeys, all that makes
sense. I don't know for sure what is raising the bear population, or
causing the lack of shyness, but, so far, there are few incidents of
stolen garbage, seed, that sort of thing that cannot be readily
attributed to the usual masked bandit, the raccoon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

====================================
Now, the bear population is increasing; we saw one as we came down
from breakfast at the Peaks of Otter Lodge last week, a near mature
brownie, which is usually a rare experience.
====================================
Can expect a story on TV here in L/A almost every day that aminal
control has had to tranqualize a brown bear found in somebody's back
yard and take them back up into the mountains for release.

Usually, they are looking for food.

As far as the increasing deer population, it is happening nationwide
and has been attributed to the Bambi complex.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Garden fresh is best, and green beans are NOT a reduction sauce. (Family
joke.)

Garden fresh green beans smothered in Ranch Dressing and sealed in an
aluminum pouch served directly from the bun rack of the grill after a half
hour on the grill along with a steak are Dyn-O-Mite.

Gardens are for tomatoes - big tomatoes that are meant to be sliced up and
put into a sandwich with nothing more than a nice spread of Miracle Whip
(not mayonnaise...), and a little salt. And sweet corn.

If you had reversed the usage of Miracle Whip and mayonnaise in that
sentence, then I could have said that you were a truly wise man....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
: Han wrote in news:Xns9C2ECAEA55EC4ikkezelf@
: 199.45.49.11:

:
: I have the most respect for vegetarians. They are generally the most
: peaceloving people. It requires a lot of work to get a balanced diet,
: though, since some of our dietary requirements are almost exclusively
: meat-derived. Thus I also think many vegetarians who do not get a
: balanced diet are misguided, to say the least.
:

: One of the things I find annoying about vegetarian foods is how they try
: to make up for the lack of meat. If vegetarian was so good in the first
: place, why attempt to make vegetarian versions of things that require
: meat? Let the vegetables (and fruit) shine.

True enough, but none of the vegatarians I know do it out of sheer love of
fruits and vegetables. It's usually discomfort at killing animals. So,
fake meat is a way of getting that tasty flavor without the moral
consequences.

-- Andy BArss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:54:49 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

I don't know for sure what is raising the bear population, or
causing the lack of shyness,

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, we've found that stopping, or cutting
back, on hunting has the side effect of making animals, such as cougars,
less afraid of humans. The survival benefit of fear of humans has gone
away so bold cougars still survive to breed. Evolution in action :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote:

====================================
Now, the bear population is increasing; we saw one as we came down
from breakfast at the Peaks of Otter Lodge last week, a near mature
brownie, which is usually a rare experience.
====================================
Can expect a story on TV here in L/A almost every day that aminal
control has had to tranqualize a brown bear found in somebody's back
yard and take them back up into the mountains for release.

Usually, they are looking for food.

As far as the increasing deer population, it is happening nationwide
and has been attributed to the Bambi complex.

Lew

Here in the boonies of SoCal, the lion population has increased and
seems to be in equilibrium with the deer. When I was at JPL, there were
plenty of deer around. They would come onto the campus at night for
water and forage. There were several lion sightings there.

Talk about something that will make your night...

mahalo,
jo4hn