Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears Lathe Question

Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Is this a 'Craftsman' lathe? If so, what's the full (8 - 10 digits)
model number? There should be a plate or sticker somewhere with that
info.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Len,

I believe this pre-dates Craftsman. It doesn't have the Craftsman
label. It only has the old Sears label. The only model number on it
is 28955.

Thanks.

On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:13:30 -0500, "Len"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Is this a 'Craftsman' lathe? If so, what's the full (8 - 10 digits)
model number? There should be a plate or sticker somewhere with that
info.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/2009 11:07 AM Nova spake thus:

wrote:

I believe this pre-dates Craftsman. It doesn't have the Craftsman
label. It only has the old Sears label. The only model number on it
is 28955.

You might find something over the "Old Woodworking Machines" web site at:

http://www.owwm.com/

I was going to suggest that too, but unfortunately they seem to have
nothing on machines made by Sears, Roebuck and Co., at least none that I
could find. Anyone else have better luck? Maybe your lathe is listed
under the actual manufacturer, if you can determine who that was.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

wrote in message
Hi Len,

I believe this pre-dates Craftsman. It doesn't have the Craftsman
label. It only has the old Sears label. The only model number on it
is 28955.

Thanks.

If it's that old, I suspect it may have actually been made by Emerson
for Sears.

Emerson now makes the 'Rigid' line for Home Depot, so you might want to
take a look at the manual for the Rigid Model 14773 lathe to see if it's
close enough. Click on the "book" just about the picture at
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WL1200-Wood-Lathe/ to access the owners
manual.

If that's not it, try looking for a Emerson lathe manual instead of
Sears.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Try posting to rec.crafts.woodturning. Odds are that somebody over there
owns or once owned one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ssesOn May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. *I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. *I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. *Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

The number that you found (28955) is more similar to those found on
Atlas metalworking lathes: http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html
Atlas also supplied Sears with lathes using a prefix “101” in the
model number.
I can’t say for sure who made your lathe but, Atlas made both
metalworking as well as woodworking equipment: http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm

(Maybe you know, but “Sheldon” is also a brand of lathes:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html ) g
-DG

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LD" wrote in message
wrote in message
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Try posting to rec.crafts.woodturning. Odds are that somebody over there
owns or once owned one.

Try looking he

http://www.owwm.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
Hi,
Sheldon

I googled "beginning lathe turning" and got lots of results:

#
Wood turning lathe tips:techniques: woodturning instruction
It is our hope that this web site will help both beginning and
advanced turners to increase their skills in wood turning, tool
sharpening, and lathe use ...
aroundthewoods.com/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages -
Make your own
Contents
Beginners
Tips

Free Video
Intermediate to Advanced
Woodturning lathe maintenance
Gallery
More results from aroundthewoods.com »
#
Shopsmith - Articles and Projects - Lathe Turning Tips
Practice, sharp tools, and a reliable machine - these are the surest
avenues to beautiful lathe turning results. And here are several tips,
hints, ...
drillpresstips.com/ownersite/proj_articles/lathetips.htm - 22k -
Cached - Similar pages -
#
Wood Turning - Beginning by Choosing a Lathe - Seven Points to ...
Wood Turning - Beginning by Choosing a Lathe - Seven Points to
Consider.
ezinearticles.com/?Wood-Turning---Beginning-by-Choosing-a-Lathe---
Seven-Points-to-Consider&id=542794 - 50k - Cached - Similar pages -

Posted to rec.woodworking

So how, exactly, is that mish-mosh of results supposed to help the OP?

That "mish mosh" was simply an example of what the OP could easily
have found to answer his question in the first place.

Its one thing to bring a serious query to the group after researching
and finding a dearth of information or conflicting information and
quite another to use an OP here to substitute for a little personal
effort and responsibility.

Hell, he could have gone to most any decent Book Store and found three
or nine books on beginning turning and browsed through them while
sipping coffee and deciding if any were worth purchasing.

Then, after buying a basic set of turning tols and experimenting, he
might have formed a question or three worth the efforts of the readers
here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have checked all the
suggested sites. I haven't found anything that has matched.

I emailed Sears directly to see if they had any information. After
half a dozen frustrating emails the closest they could find in their
database was 101.28950 where I was looking for 28955. Their model
number was for a 12" Craftsman Metal lathe made by Clausing Corp
Services. It seems that they are now Atlas.

The writing on the lathe is both in English and French. Would that
make a difference as to who made it?

On Sat, 30 May 2009 23:04:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

ssesOn May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

ssesOn May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. *I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. *I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. *Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

The number that you found (28955) is more similar to those found on
Atlas metalworking lathes:http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html
Atlas also supplied Sears with lathes using a prefix “101” in the
model number.
I can’t say for sure who made your lathe but, Atlas made both
metalworking as well as woodworking equipment:http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm

(Maybe you know, but “Sheldon” is also a brand of lathes:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html) g
-DG- Hide quoted text -

In another post where you described your lathe as having tubes for the
bed. Emerson Electric supplied Sears with some wood lathes using a
single tube (monotube) for the bed, whereas AMT (American Machine &
Tool) supplied some lathes with a bed using two tubes (1-1/4” dia).
Here’s a picture of an AMT lathe: http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/Cre...shop/Lathe.JPG.
Maybe it’s similar to yours. Sears had many suppliers:
http://www.owwm.com/craftsman/manufacturers.aspx?sort=1 AMT had a
prefix “149” in its model number, but I had no luck searching for
149.28955. There are more experts on the OWWM website and they might
help you better if you post pictures there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Folks,.

The AMT lathe is the one! The picture is exactly like the one I have.
According to www.owwm.com it is an AMT Lathe Model 273. I have
emailed the company from where the picture came from to see if they
have an electronic manual they could share.

Thanks very much for the help.

Sheldon

ssesOn May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

, wrote:
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with
no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

My son has a model 228160 that *appears* (according to the picture of the
AMT lathe at owwm.com) to be the same lathe.
He has the owners manual for his lathe.
If you don't have any luck finding a source, I can make a copy of this
manual and send it to you.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
news

, wrote:
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with
no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

My son has a model 228160 that *appears* (according to the picture of the
AMT lathe at owwm.com) to be the same lathe.
He has the owners manual for his lathe.
If you don't have any luck finding a source, I can make a copy of this
manual and send it to you.

Max

I just checked Sears "parts" and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/qv7r2f
or:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ription=manual

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Sorry,
I just discovered that this lathe was manufactured by Emerson.

"Max" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
news

, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Is this the one you have or close to it. I have the same one I bought about
25 years , I would say it's a good for a hobbyist Mine has been apart for
about 5 years. I believe there still made under deferent names . What kind
of question do have, I also have the owners manual.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1191457331.html