Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] me@remove.home.com is offline

Default Sears Lathe Question

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have checked all the
suggested sites. I haven't found anything that has matched.

I emailed Sears directly to see if they had any information. After
half a dozen frustrating emails the closest they could find in their
database was 101.28950 where I was looking for 28955. Their model
number was for a 12" Craftsman Metal lathe made by Clausing Corp
Services. It seems that they are now Atlas.

The writing on the lathe is both in English and French. Would that
make a difference as to who made it?

On Sat, 30 May 2009 23:04:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

ssesOn May 30, 10:32*am, wrote:
Hi,

I'm an amature hobbyist. *I just picked up a Sears Long Bed Wood
Lathe, Model Number 28955 and six chisels off of Kijiji. *I have been
searching the net for information and manuals on the lathe but with no
success. *Does anyone have any information they can share with me?

Thanks,
Sheldon

The number that you found (28955) is more similar to those found on
Atlas metalworking lathes:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html
Atlas also supplied Sears with lathes using a prefix “101” in the
model number.
I can’t say for sure who made your lathe but, Atlas made both
metalworking as well as woodworking equipment: http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm

(Maybe you know, but “Sheldon” is also a brand of lathes:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html ) g
-DG