pintihar

Default two glue questions

The bottle of yellow glue I have states that it will not work in
temperatures below 55 degrees. (Titebond II)

I just completed a project ( poplar storage chest ). I noticed that
after letting the glue set for several hours, that the temperature in
my shop is low: 50 degrees.
I have moved the project indoors. Any comments or advice on the status
of the glue job?

Also, I use gorilla glue from time to time depending on the
requirements. I love the stuff, and would welcome comments on the
pros/cons of this versus standard yellow ww glue.

Thanks,
Phil
John Crea

Just give it more time to setup when it is colder

Other than being MORE expensive and dealing with the foam out, you can
pretty much interchange the 2. Have the plastic money card handy if
you go to all Gorilla glue, it will eat up the bank

John

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:27:43 GMT, pintihar
wrote:

The bottle of yellow glue I have states that it will not work in
temperatures below 55 degrees. (Titebond II)

I just completed a project ( poplar storage chest ). I noticed that
after letting the glue set for several hours, that the temperature in
my shop is low: 50 degrees.
I have moved the project indoors. Any comments or advice on the status
of the glue job?

Also, I use gorilla glue from time to time depending on the
requirements. I love the stuff, and would welcome comments on the
pros/cons of this versus standard yellow ww glue.

Thanks,
Phil

akomet

As far as the status of the titebond glue job I would suggest you do a test
on some scrap poplar pieces leaving them to set up over night in the 50
degree space.
Next morning test the joint!

I have the same admiration for 'Gorilla Glue" although I have used other
brands (cheaper) of polyurethane glues and have found them to be the same.
Pros: Totally waterproof! longer set up time. If you have a large project
with many parts this can be helpful. The glue seems to work better than
yellow when the joints are a little sloppy. Of course you realize that I
never relish sloppy joints fits but who is perfect and sometime it is
unavoidable!
Cons: Being careful not to use too much since it expands as it dries. Stains
your skin, should wear gloves. "Excess" clean up needs paint thinner.
AK

"pintihar" wrote in message
The bottle of yellow glue I have states that it will not work in
temperatures below 55 degrees. (Titebond II)

I just completed a project ( poplar storage chest ). I noticed that
after letting the glue set for several hours, that the temperature in
my shop is low: 50 degrees.
I have moved the project indoors. Any comments or advice on the status
of the glue job?

Also, I use gorilla glue from time to time depending on the
requirements. I love the stuff, and would welcome comments on the
pros/cons of this versus standard yellow ww glue.

Thanks,
Phil

Jim K

Supposedly Gorilla Glue
(http://www.gorillaglue.com/theglue/specs.shtml) works down to 40F
tho' not optimally. I just finished reading a book about glueing and
it mentioned that glues like Titebond form a chalky like substance in
the 50s. I confirmed that this winter. Also the Titebond
(http://www.titebond.com/ProductLineT...ne=2&prodcat=1) web
site gives 55F as the chalk temperature.

It's possilbe you may have a glue problem - whatever, it probably
won't be as strong as a warmer temp glueing job.

I'm thinking about temporarily "borrowing" the kitchen table for some
panel glueups I'm about to do.

wrote:

The bottle of yellow glue I have states that it will not work in
temperatures below 55 degrees. (Titebond II)

I just completed a project ( poplar storage chest ). I noticed that
after letting the glue set for several hours, that the temperature in
my shop is low: 50 degrees.
I have moved the project indoors. Any comments or advice on the status
of the glue job?

Also, I use gorilla glue from time to time depending on the
requirements. I love the stuff, and would welcome comments on the
pros/cons of this versus standard yellow ww glue.

Thanks,
Phil

Swingman

"Jim K" wrote in message

I'm thinking about temporarily "borrowing" the kitchen table for some
panel glueups I'm about to do.

Anytime it is 60F or lower, I either forego gluing critical components, or
bring BOTH the glue and the parts into the kitchen a day in advance to
acclimatize before gluing, then leave them there for the next 24 hours. One
of the reasons I have a BIG kitchen with a 5' X 7', flat, granite island top
.... its had about as many Bessey clamps on it as plates in the past year.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

Dave & Tricia Claghorn

On 1/24/04 21:47, in article ,
"akomet" wrote:

snip

I have the same admiration for 'Gorilla Glue" although I have used other
brands (cheaper) of polyurethane glues and have found them to be the same.
Pros: Totally waterproof! longer set up time. If you have a large project
with many parts this can be helpful. The glue seems to work better than
yellow when the joints are a little sloppy. Of course you realize that I
never relish sloppy joints fits but who is perfect and sometime it is
unavoidable!
Cons: Being careful not to use too much since it expands as it dries. Stains
your skin, should wear gloves. "Excess" clean up needs paint thinner.
AK

snip

Who DOESN'T have a good Gorilla Glue story regarding this. When I was a
BRAND newbie (I've graduated to plain ol' newbie) I figured gloves were for
fags. Uh, can you say "dumbass"? I had two job interviews that week. Talk
about embarrassing! I was scrubbing, and scrubbing, and scrubbing, and
scrubbing, and scrubbing and scrubbing, and scrubbing, and scrubbing...
Well, you get the picture. After a week, I finally got it all off. As to a
testament of the glue's holding ability, I didn't know how tight you were
supposed to clamp a join, so I seriously WHANGED down on the clamps. As
tight as I could get 'em... Over a year and one and a half winters down,
the joints are still perfect.

pintihar

The bottle of yellow glue I have states that it will not work in
temperatures below 55 degrees. (Titebond II)

I just completed a project ( poplar storage chest ). I noticed that
after letting the glue set for several hours, that the temperature in
my shop is low: 50 degrees.
I have moved the project indoors. Any comments or advice on the status
of the glue job?

Also, I use gorilla glue from time to time depending on the
requirements. I love the stuff, and would welcome comments on the
pros/cons of this versus standard yellow ww glue.

Thanks,
Phil

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Here are some results from my testing: I glued two sets of joints from
some scrap and let one set cure in the house at 68 degrees and the
other in the shop at 49 degrees. I let both cure for 24+ hours and in
the most _scientific_ method I could think of I broke the joints. It
seemed to me that I needed similarly forceful leverage to break both
sets of joints.
My conclusion is that in future I will avoid low temperature gluing,
but that the joints on this project are ok.
-Phil

If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 03:29 PM
Some glue questions Wade Lippman Woodworking 17 November 15th 03 12:45 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM
Glue vs. No Glue Nehmo Sergheyev Woodworking 11 September 28th 03 12:59 AM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM